AVG 7 and now things are sluggish

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daave, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Daave

    Daave Guest

    I'm running Windows 98 SE on a machine with 128 MB of RAM. I've never
    had problems with AVG 6, but ever since I installed AVG 7, things have
    been kooky. First, it affected my e-mail. I use OE, and nothing would
    happen. I got the following message:

    Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
    for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    inactivity. Account: ' Mail Account', Server:
    '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 9999, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
    0x800CCC0F

    BTW, I'm also running Zone Alarm and K9. I follwed the suggestions (and
    had to modify them a bit) I found at
    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?3,558,1705,page=2 .

    So I can now receive and send e-mail, but it appears that AVG is no
    longer scanning the e-mails. Also the system locks up about 33% of the
    time. My most recent message was a fatal exception error:

    .... occurred at 0028:C16FCCFB in VXD WSOCK2(01) + 0000373B

    Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

    Dave
    Daave, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Daave

    Tony Meyer Guest

    Have you configured the e-mail scanner on AVG 7? You need to bring up the
    properties and set it up for LAN or Dial up, and set up the servers, as it
    needs to know where to look to scan the e-mails. I have found in most cases
    automatic host doesn't work and they need to be set up as pop3 and
    SMTP.ISP.co.nz (or whatever and wherever the ISP is)

    --
    Tony Meyer

    Tony Meyer, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Daave

    bmast17 Guest

    > Have you configured the e-mail scanner on AVG 7? You need to bring up
    > the properties and set it up for LAN or Dial up, and set up the
    > servers, as it needs to know where to look to scan the e-mails. I have
    > found in most cases automatic host doesn't work and they need to be
    > set up as pop3 and SMTP.ISP.co.nz (or whatever and wherever the ISP
    > is)

    and to add ... find the servers settings and DISable the outgoing server

    that slows down v7 a lot .. the out checking ... it checks too much IMO
    and hangs too often

    I was going to bail on AVG7 free 'till I discovered that ........ now I
    like it and it's been running for a month er so like it's not even there
    .... just the way I like it

    errrrr .. 'cept when it catches an email virus ..... then it lets ya know
    it's workin - no problem
    bmast17, Feb 19, 2005