    'paid' version........Does anyone know of another free virus programme to
    use?

    Joe
    Joe Rogers, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Joe Rogers

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Joe Rogers" <> wrote in
    news:ruOEd.61964$:

    > Does anyone know of another free virus programme to use?
    >
    > Joe

    AntiVirĀ® Personal Edition
    <http://www.free-av.com>
    Ingeborg, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Joe Rogers

    Jerry G. Guest

    Try it in safe mode. Most likely you have something running in the
    background that is effecting the update. I have used Vers 7 on a number of
    machines without any fault.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "Joe Rogers" <> wrote in message
    I've downloaded AVG 7.0 FREE edition as version 6 is now finished, however,
    I'm having big problems updating the files. My PC continously tells me its
    neccessary to re-start my PC in order to complete the update.

    Thoughts anyone? For the record, I downloaded the programme from Grisoft
    website. I contacted Grisoft but they told me they only give support for the

    Jerry G., Jan 11, 2005
  4. Joe Rogers

    Bob B Guest

    If you also use Zone alarm switch off the E mail protection or disable the E
    mail scanner in AVG. Bob

    Bob B, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Joe Rogers

    Mike Easter Guest

    Joe Rogers wrote:
    > I've downloaded AVG 7.0 FREE edition as version 6 is now finished,
    > however, I'm having big problems updating the files. My PC
    > continously tells me its neccessary to re-start my PC in order to
    > complete the update.
    >
    > Thoughts anyone? For the record, I downloaded the programme from
    > Grisoft website. I contacted Grisoft but they told me they only give
    > support for the 'paid' version........Does anyone know of another
    > free virus programme to use?

    Altho' you/I can't find it from the grisoft AVG website, there's a
    'secret' support forum for the free.

    http://gappa2.grisoft.cz/freeforum/

    I have no idea why they decided to handle it covertly like that, unless
    the notion was to increase sales. I looked and looked for a forum from
    the AVG site the other day and couldn't find one - I only found out
    because someone else pointed to it in another group.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Joe Rogers

    Guest

    I've had problems too, with 7.0! I tried everything to resolve it, but
    nothing worked...let alone any support replies from Grisoft.
    I went back to AVAST antivirus protection. It's free, and it found a
    virus that had been on my system, which was never found with AGG (6 or
    7)! Try it.
    , Jan 11, 2005
  7. "Joe Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > I've downloaded AVG 7.0 FREE edition as version 6 is now finished,
    > however,
    > I'm having big problems updating the files. My PC continously tells me its
    > neccessary to re-start my PC in order to complete the update.
    >
    > Thoughts anyone? For the record, I downloaded the programme from Grisoft
    > website. I contacted Grisoft but they told me they only give support for
    > the
    > 'paid' version........Does anyone know of another free virus programme to
    > use?
    >
    > Joe

    You MUST unistall AVG 6 before you install AVG 7.

    **SS**
    Secret Squiddle, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Joe Rogers

    Mike Easter Guest

    Secret Squiddle wrote:

    > You MUST unistall AVG 6 before you install AVG 7.

    Is it necessary to uninstall the AVG 6.0 Free program before
    installation of AVG Free?
    No, installation of the AVG Free program is able to check the existence
    of AVG 6.0 Free on the PC. If AVG 6.0 Free is detected, installation of
    AVG Free uninstalls it automatically.
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5468/lng/us/tpl/v5

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 11, 2005
  9. Joe Rogers

    Mellowed Guest

    I show this as an AVG forum. http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/

    Mellowed, Jan 11, 2005
  10. Joe Rogers

    Mike Easter Guest

    Joe Rogers wrote:
    > I've downloaded AVG 7.0 FREE edition as version 6 is now finished,
    > however, I'm having big problems updating the files. My PC
    > continously tells me its neccessary to re-start my PC in order to
    > complete the update.

    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,14378,backpage=
    Program update AVG Free 7.300 available -- the "AVG CC not
    responding" bug on certain Windows 9x configurations should have been
    fixed finally

    The forum also describes uninstalling a broken install before
    reinstalling the newest v.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 11, 2005
  11. Joe Rogers

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mellowed wrote:
    > I show this as an AVG forum. http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/

    Yes, but did you find any links to it from the AVG site at grisoft?

    The support section just sez that 24 hour email and fax support is
    available for the pay, and that it isn't for the free, and that there is
    a faq for the free, but doesn't mention that there is a forum for the
    free.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 11, 2005
  12. Joe Rogers

    Joe Rogers Guest

    Please could you send me the link.

    Joe Rogers, Jan 11, 2005
  13. Joe Rogers

    Bob B Guest

    > Joe Rogers wrote:
    > > I've downloaded AVG 7.0 FREE edition as version 6 is now finished,
    > > however, I'm having big problems updating the files. My PC
    > > continously tells me its neccessary to re-start my PC in order to
    > > complete the update.

    > http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,14378,backpage=
    > Program update AVG Free 7.300 available -- the "AVG CC not
    > responding" bug on certain Windows 9x configurations should have been
    > fixed finally
    >

    > The forum also describes uninstalling a broken install before
    > reinstalling the newest v.

    Most of the problems people have had have now been sorted by AVG... this
    forum is still useful to see how others sorted the bugs... surely part of
    the satisfaction you get from the computer is solving the problems

    Bob
    Bob B, Jan 11, 2005
  14. Joe Rogers

    Mike Easter Guest

    Joe Rogers wrote:

    > <>
    >> I went back to AVAST antivirus protection.

    > Please could you send me the link.

    Put avast in google web, look at the results, about a million hits.
    Choose the most likely, ie first one. Go there http://www.avast.com/

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 11, 2005