AVG 6.0 difficulties - Virus/worms getting through.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by P Watkins, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. P Watkins

    P Watkins Guest

    Hi Can anyone help?

    Recently gone broadband and have installed free edition of AVG.
    However, i keep getting alerts about Randex.R, LovegateF. and Backdoor
    RIC.AQ.

    I'm then invited to run the test and it detects OK - putting them in
    the vaukt.
    My query is. Why do they get through in the first place? AVg is always
    on. I always keep the updates current. Maybe I've got it setup wrong
    but the centre 'home' page advises that all systems are 'protected'.
    Help. Should I ditch AVG ad go for an alternative AV suite - paid or
    free?

    Hope you can help

    Paul

    P Watkins, Jan 19, 2004

  2. P Watkins

    Joe Schmo Guest

    I ditched AVG for this free one,and so far it seems to be much better

    Joe Schmo, Jan 19, 2004

  3. P Watkins

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    AVG is not designed to stop viruses getting through it just alerts you
    to the presence of viruses and lets you do something about them. It will
    try to repair a file of viruses it knows about but if it can't it gets
    you to put them in the vault (quarantine) for manual removal/deletion of
    the infected file so it doesn't infect your computer. AVG is working as
    it is picking up viruses and protecting you by not leting them run on
    your PC. If I send you an infected file it will still reach you but AVG
    warns you about it so you do something about it. I have PC-cillin and
    like AVG it alerts me when a file I receive has a virus so I can delete
    it. I presume you have a firewall installed as you are on Broadband?

    I hope this is not a real e-maill address you have posted with as that
    will guarantee you will get un-wanted apam?

    CJ

    CJ, Jan 19, 2004
  4. P Watkins

    °Mike° Guest