Average time for mcse

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=, May 4, 2004.

  1. Anybody ever come across a web-site with global or national figures relating to the average/usual/best amount of time taken to complete MCSE certification from start to finish? (ie. all the required exams for mcse-2000 tract) I've just completed my last exam for mcse certification (wrote it this morning, as a matter of fact) and altogether it's taken me about 13 months from start to finish. Anyone know if this is average, good, quick, etc. compared to the norm?
    =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=, May 4, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    coolG Guest

    I would say thats normal. But I know some people that have
    done it in seven months.

    coolG, May 4, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    Consultant Guest

    there's quite a few people who have done it in 2-3 weeks. they work at
    burger king

    Consultant, May 4, 2004
  4. >there's quite a few people who have done it in 2-3 weeks. they work at
    >burger king

    the best

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 4, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    chop Guest

    Anywhere from 12 weeks to 15 months depending your
    availibility, work schedule and experience!

    There are boot camp that advertised in 21 days to obtain
    your MCSE! Of course that is braindump and you will not
    learn anything from the camp. Just to setup the lab, do
    the exercises will take that long and you can forgot
    about the learning part.

    chop, May 4, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    Neil Guest

    "chop" <> wrote in news:837b01c43226
    $2b7db060$:

    > There are boot camp that advertised in 21 days to obtain
    > your MCSE! Of course that is braindump and you will not
    > learn anything from the camp. Just to setup the lab, do
    > the exercises will take that long and you can forgot
    > about the learning part.

    Agreed, I don't believe that you can learn what you need to do the job at
    a boot camp. Certification should be to prove that you can do the job not
    just pass a test.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 5, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Neil <> wrote in

    > "chop" <> wrote in
    > news:837b01c43226 $2b7db060$:
    >

    >> There are boot camp that advertised in 21 days to obtain
    >> your MCSE! Of course that is braindump and you will not
    >> learn anything from the camp. Just to setup the lab, do
    >> the exercises will take that long and you can forgot
    >> about the learning part.
    >>

    > Agreed, I don't believe that you can learn what you need to do the job
    > at a boot camp. Certification should be to prove that you can do the
    > job not just pass a test.

    don't you get it? they are in a hurry before the MCSE expires on them.

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE
    --
    Rowdy's Home Page
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/
    Rowdy Yates, May 5, 2004
  8. Ditto! There's a lot to be gained, in confidence, knowledge
    capability and pride by doing it the legitimate (right) way
    Why spend all that $$$ at a bootcamp for a piece of pape
    that will do no good in the real world. Even if you get a job
    it won't take long for a real company to detect your lack o
    real world skills. Get experience, study hard, learn the topic
    and pass the exams

    Then sit home watching the grass grow while all the goo
    jobs get shipped overseas. ;-

    -noreaste

    ----- Neil wrote: ----

    Agreed, I don't believe that you can learn what you need to do the job at
    a boot camp. Certification should be to prove that you can do the job not
    just pass a test

    --
    Neil MCNGP #3
    "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?
    =?Utf-8?B?bm9yZWFzdGVy?=, May 5, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    poco Guest

    I don't know if I agree with the 7 to 13 month period that some people are
    saying. I currently just have mcsa 2003, but it took 5 weeks to pass the 4
    tests for that. The other three for mcse, I'm projecting 2 to 2 1/2 months.
    I do have more time to study, since I was downsized, but I also have about
    20 years experience in the field. Maybe I should count that 20 years as part
    of the cert time also.

    poco, May 5, 2004
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    Neil Guest

    "poco" <> wrote in news::

    > Maybe I should count that 20 years as part
    > of the cert time also.

    yup. so then you have studied for 20 years and 5weeks to get your MCSA.
    sounds reasonable....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 5, 2004
  11. >Certification should be to prove that you can do the job not
    >just pass a test.

    Cangrates Neil, you have just won the jackpot!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 5, 2004
  12. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    JaR Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 18:17:25 +0100, declaimed:

    >>Certification should be to prove that you can do the job not just pass a
    >>test.

    > Cangrates Neil, you have just won the jackpot!!

    No he didn't
    JaR, May 5, 2004
  13. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    zenner Guest

    Something to think about:

    There is a case for Boot Camps! Really, there is a case for the legitimate
    use of Boot Camps.

    There are any number of Microsoft administrators that have been in the
    business for years, are self taught and competent. However, in the
    day-to-day frenzy to keep up with patches, security, upgraded,
    documentation, administration...they just never found the time to get
    certified. Then along comes either a promotion or the reverse...downsizing.
    Either by "suggestion", fear, or HR edict...they need to become certified in
    a short time.

    This is a case which heralds as a legitimate use of Boot Camps. This person
    only needs guidance in what is expected on a test, to best prepare his mind
    for what may be called for on a test. We all know that a test will cover
    areas that are seldom or never presented in a day-to-day stable "production"
    network. Truly, in the case of a lot of design, migration, install and
    policy issues...many companies will routinely hire consultants instead of
    allowing in-house staff a chance to perform the task. There may be legal, or
    scheduling exigencies that dictate the practice, but it leaves a gap in
    their training and only further narrows the pool of fully competent MCSE's.
    In many cases a gifted MCSE has to go the consultant route to get any real
    respect from his former employer.

    In reality, only about 10% - 20% of boot camp candidates, probably, fit the
    above model, but they do exist. IF for the sake of that reason alone, we
    with hold judgment, until we work with the individual ... then that is
    enough reason to have a legitimate question about Boot Camp graduates...but
    not hold a blanket condemnation against all of them. We have all heard of
    the rare individual that completes college at an accelerated
    rate...graduating before puberty in some cases. Are they all fakes?
    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > there's quite a few people who have done it in 2-3 weeks. they work at
    > burger king
    >

    > "coolG" <> wrote in message
    > > I would say thats normal. But I know some people that have
    > > done it in seven months.

    ---
    zenner, May 5, 2004
  14. >>>Certification should be to prove that you can do the job not just pass a
    >>>test.

    >> Cangrates Neil, you have just won the jackpot!!
    >>

    >No he didn't

    No he did

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 5, 2004
  15. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    Neil Guest

    > jackpot!!

    send it to JaR to pay off my Ferrari/Breast enlargement...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 5, 2004
  16. =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZGVybWFu?=

    Neil Guest

    >>> Cangrates Neil, you have just won the jackpot!!
    >>>

    >>No he didn't

    > No he did
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    not this againg...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 5, 2004
  17. > Something to think about:

    > There is a case for Boot Camps! Really, there is a case for the
    > legitimate use of Boot Camps.

    I'm one of the few in the minority who agree with you there.

    --
    Fris "Just waiting for a free one" bee®

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 5, 2004
  18. Neil wrote:
    > The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.> wrote in
    >
    >> jackpot!!
    >>

    > send it to JaR to pay off my Ferrari/Breast enlargement...

    Why would you want to get your Ferrari's breasts enlarged?

    --
    Fris "your mileage may vary" bee®

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 5, 2004
  19. >Why would you want to get your Ferrari's breasts enlarged?

    oh just look at those bumpers!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 5, 2004
  20. >> Something to think about:

    >> There is a case for Boot Camps! Really, there is a case for the
    >> legitimate use of Boot Camps.

    >I'm one of the few in the minority who agree with you there.

    The type of experienced people that zenner was referring to, would not
    need boot camps. Yes, people need training, good training conducted by
    good trainers, I can't see how boot camps perform fall into that role.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 5, 2004