    - Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
    - No minimum level of activity required.
    - 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

    John, Jun 30, 2006

  2. "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
    > a long period of time to get an average speed?
    > Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
    > providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
    > one off measurement.
    > thanks
    > John

    Set up an account on www.nzdsl.co.nz and it will keep a tally of your
    speedtest results and average results.
    My site has had LOTS of speedtests done and maybe 1 day I will compile
    results. But Nationally.. speeds
    between ISP's are all the same. Its usually different areas and
    international speeds are different.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 30, 2006

  3. John

    Allistar Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
    >> a long period of time to get an average speed?
    >> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
    >> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
    >> one off measurement.
    >> thanks
    >> John

    > Set up an account on www.nzdsl.co.nz and it will keep a tally of your
    > speedtest results and average results.
    > My site has had LOTS of speedtests done and maybe 1 day I will compile
    > results. But Nationally.. speeds
    > between ISP's are all the same. Its usually different areas and
    > international speeds are different.

    I live at Mount Maunganui and my download speeds are excellent, they come in
    pretty much consistently at 3300kbps, which is goof for a 3.6Mb plan.
    Upload speeds still suck, but that's not a technical problem.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 30, 2006
  4. John

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    href="www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com">www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com
    > </a> [Click "Sign up now!"]
    > - Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed never to
    > be deleted.
    > - Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
    > - No minimum level of activity required.
    > - 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

    By Consumers Institute....

    http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php

    Mine is 1688k down and 488k up

    I can't get the 3.5mbps down becasue I'm too far from the exchange.....but
    the 488k up is MUCH better than 128k.

    s.te.v.e., Jun 30, 2006
  5. s.te.v.e. wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
    >> a long period of time to get an average speed?
    >> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
    >> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
    >> one off measurement.
    >> thanks
    >> John
    >> Not sure what to do with all those digital photos? Are they in danger
    >> of being lost due to a computer crash or scratch on a CD/DVD?
    >> Get 5Gb of free online storage (room for 3000+ photos) at <a
    >>

    > href="www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com">www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com
    >> </a> [Click "Sign up now!"]
    >> - Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed never to
    >> be deleted.
    >> - Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
    >> - No minimum level of activity required.
    >> - 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

    > By Consumers Institute....
    >
    > http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php
    >
    > Mine is 1688k down and 488k up
    >
    > I can't get the 3.5mbps down becasue I'm too far from the exchange.....but
    > the 488k up is MUCH better than 128k.

    Decided to give this a try using my system and my company notebook which is on
    the same connection but runs over a VPN (Secure Client etc) most interesting to
    see the VPN overhead hit the speed.

    My system 1931/130 via the VPN on same connection 780/47 kbps

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Jun 30, 2006
  6. John wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
    > a long period of time to get an average speed?
    > Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
    > providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
    > one off measurement.
    > thanks
    > John
    > Not sure what to do with all those digital photos? Are they in danger
    > of being lost due to a computer crash or scratch on a CD/DVD?
    > Get 5Gb of free online storage (room for 3000+ photos) at <a
    > href="www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com">www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com
    > </a> [Click "Sign up now!"]
    > - Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed never to
    > be deleted.
    > - Free sharing of photos without clogging emails.
    > - No minimum level of activity required.
    > - 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only].

    I find this site very informative for testing your connection

    http://myspeed.visualware.com/voip/

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Jun 30, 2006
  7. John

    Shank Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > s.te.v.e. wrote:
    >
    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
    >>> a long period of time to get an average speed?
    >>> Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
    >>> providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
    >>> one off measurement.
    >>> thanks
    >>> John

    >> By Consumers Institute....
    >>
    >> http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php
    >>
    >> Mine is 1688k down and 488k up
    >>
    >> I can't get the 3.5mbps down becasue I'm too far from the
    >> exchange.....but
    >> the 488k up is MUCH better than 128k.
    >>

    > Decided to give this a try using my system and my company notebook which
    > is on the same connection but runs over a VPN (Secure Client etc) most
    > interesting to see the VPN overhead hit the speed.
    >
    > My system 1931/130 via the VPN on same connection 780/47 kbps

    Hmmm. On my Telstraclear 2mb/2mb cable I get 1954/1414. Ran it 10
    minutes later and got 1988/1796. At 1:10pm on a saturday, not bad.

    Rob

    Shank, Jul 1, 2006
  8. John

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-06-29, John <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
    > a long period of time to get an average speed?
    > Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
    > providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
    > one off measurement.

    find a nearby server and download a large file

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 1, 2006
  9. On 29 Jun 2006 16:37:11 -0700, "John" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Does anyone know of a site where I can measure my broadband speed over
    >a long period of time to get an average speed?
    >Is there any research on the average speeds of various broadband
    >providers? It seems to me that this is more useful info than just a
    >one off measurement.
    >thanks
    >John

    Here's another test site set up by the Consummer Institute:

    http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php

    Robert Feigel, Jul 1, 2006