avaya small office and phone manager lite problem

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ken.peckett@gmail.com, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I hope this is the correct group for this posting, but apologise if I
    have made an error.

    I have bought an Avaya Small Office Systems on ebay.

    My understanding is that this unit comes shipped with the ability to
    have 3 VoIP extensions. I created a new extension and on the Phone
    Manager settings tab of that extension I change the setting to VoIP.
    It was asked me if I wanted to create a new VoIP extension and I said
    YES. I then clicked on the Extension Branch in the Configuration tree
    and saw it had created a new virtual extension (ID00). I entered IP of
    computer that would use this extension.

    I installed the Phone Manager Lite (v 2.1) software on the PC and
    successfully logged on to the system. On a previous system I recalled
    that in Phone Manager you need to click on the Configure menu and in
    Preferences you need to Enable VoIP. However, this option is not
    available.

    When I try to make calls from Phone Manager the phone will dial the
    number. I cannot hear anything or when I speak the receiving party
    cannot hear me but phone manager does dial the requested number. I
    have tried using the software on two computers.

    When one of the POTS extensions calls the virtual extension they just
    get the busy signal.

    I am wondering if this system is in some way faulty or if I have done
    something wrong and would like you help to resolve this.

    , Sep 23, 2006

  2. Rob Walker Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I hope this is the correct group for this posting, but apologise if I
    > have made an error.
    >
    > I have bought an Avaya Small Office Systems on ebay.
    >
    > My understanding is that this unit comes shipped with the ability to
    > have 3 VoIP extensions. I created a new extension and on the Phone
    > Manager settings tab of that extension I change the setting to VoIP.
    > It was asked me if I wanted to create a new VoIP extension and I said
    > YES. I then clicked on the Extension Branch in the Configuration tree
    > and saw it had created a new virtual extension (ID00). I entered IP of
    > computer that would use this extension.
    >
    > I installed the Phone Manager Lite (v 2.1) software on the PC and
    > successfully logged on to the system. On a previous system I recalled
    > that in Phone Manager you need to click on the Configure menu and in
    > Preferences you need to Enable VoIP. However, this option is not
    > available.
    >
    > When I try to make calls from Phone Manager the phone will dial the
    > number. I cannot hear anything or when I speak the receiving party
    > cannot hear me but phone manager does dial the requested number. I
    > have tried using the software on two computers.
    >
    > When one of the POTS extensions calls the virtual extension they just
    > get the busy signal.
    >
    > I am wondering if this system is in some way faulty or if I have done
    > something wrong and would like you help to resolve this.

    I'm not sure if this is the right group or not but as luck would have it I
    implement these systems as part of my job. As well as an extension, you also
    need a user. This has probably been created for you, and will show up in the
    manager application. On the phone manager tab of the user there is a drop
    down for the version of phone manager you wish that user to have. You need
    to select VOIP or softphone (can't remember which). Now when you log in to
    phone manager as that user, the program will reconfigure itself to VOIP
    mode. The enable VOIP option will then be present. The problem you may have
    though is that the softphone version of phone manager is not free. In fact,
    it's quite expensive. It may not work if you don't have a valid licence for
    it.

    Post back if I'm not being clear.

    Rob

    Rob Walker, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks Rob

    You are right. Although the system I have has VoIP capability, I need
    to buy a softphone license to use it. Ah, Well!

    Thanks for your help though.

    Rob Walker wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I hope this is the correct group for this posting, but apologise if I
    > > have made an error.
    > >
    > > I have bought an Avaya Small Office Systems on ebay.
    > >
    > > My understanding is that this unit comes shipped with the ability to
    > > have 3 VoIP extensions. I created a new extension and on the Phone
    > > Manager settings tab of that extension I change the setting to VoIP.
    > > It was asked me if I wanted to create a new VoIP extension and I said
    > > YES. I then clicked on the Extension Branch in the Configuration tree
    > > and saw it had created a new virtual extension (ID00). I entered IP of
    > > computer that would use this extension.
    > >
    > > I installed the Phone Manager Lite (v 2.1) software on the PC and
    > > successfully logged on to the system. On a previous system I recalled
    > > that in Phone Manager you need to click on the Configure menu and in
    > > Preferences you need to Enable VoIP. However, this option is not
    > > available.
    > >
    > > When I try to make calls from Phone Manager the phone will dial the
    > > number. I cannot hear anything or when I speak the receiving party
    > > cannot hear me but phone manager does dial the requested number. I
    > > have tried using the software on two computers.
    > >
    > > When one of the POTS extensions calls the virtual extension they just
    > > get the busy signal.
    > >
    > > I am wondering if this system is in some way faulty or if I have done
    > > something wrong and would like you help to resolve this.
    > >

    > I'm not sure if this is the right group or not but as luck would have it I
    > implement these systems as part of my job. As well as an extension, you also
    > need a user. This has probably been created for you, and will show up in the
    > manager application. On the phone manager tab of the user there is a drop
    > down for the version of phone manager you wish that user to have. You need
    > to select VOIP or softphone (can't remember which). Now when you log in to
    > phone manager as that user, the program will reconfigure itself to VOIP
    > mode. The enable VOIP option will then be present. The problem you may have
    > though is that the softphone version of phone manager is not free. In fact,
    > it's quite expensive. It may not work if you don't have a valid licence for
    > it.
    >
    > Post back if I'm not being clear.
    >
    > Rob

    , Sep 24, 2006