Avaya Emergency - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Jason Kolb, May 10, 2005.

  1. Jason  Kolb

    Jason Kolb Guest

    Well, Avaya has gotten me into a bind. Maybe somebody out there has
    run into this before, it's worth a shot :)

    We have an internal outsourcer running Avaya IP phones and an S8300
    with SLP. In the states, we have an S8700 that we need to use to run
    the IP phones (the S8300 is failover). Unfortunately and unavoidably
    we are getting latency times of about 315ms roundtrip to the remote
    site. This seems to be on the verge of acceptable, because the IP
    phones can sometimes register, but other times we are receiving an
    error "2011 IP FURQ-NoQ931 msg rcvd Force Unregistration Request". It
    seems to be extremely random. We called Avaya and it they said the
    registration confirmation is not getting from the phone back to the
    8700 in a timely mannger. There are absolutely no firewall
    restrictions of any kind between the phone and the 8700.

    So what I'm left with is either finding a way to MAKE this work, or
    putting a bunch of really expensive equipment up on eBay :( We are
    looking for a way to override this behavior, either by extending the
    timeout or forcing the phone to register somehow. By the way, I'm
    willing to pay for advice that works...

    Thanks for any help you can offer!!

    Jason Kolb
    jason.kolb at gmail dot com

    Jason Kolb, May 10, 2005

  2. Jason  Kolb

    wkearney99 Guest

    > So what I'm left with is either finding a way to MAKE this work, or
    > putting a bunch of really expensive equipment up on eBay :( We are
    > looking for a way to override this behavior, either by extending the
    > timeout or forcing the phone to register somehow. By the way, I'm
    > willing to pay for advice that works...

    Talk to your ISPs on each end. Improve the network latency between them.
    If you're expecting to get by on the cheap using the internet then you're
    not going to get it to work reliably. If you're outsourcing overseas then
    you'll have to deal with increased networking costs. Possibly even going so
    far as dedicated virtual circuits.

    It's not the equipment that's at fault here, its the network you're putting
    it on.

    wkearney99, May 11, 2005

  3. Jason  Kolb

    stephen Guest

    "wkearney99" <> wrote in message
    > > So what I'm left with is either finding a way to MAKE this work, or
    > > putting a bunch of really expensive equipment up on eBay :( We are
    > > looking for a way to override this behavior, either by extending the
    > > timeout or forcing the phone to register somehow. By the way, I'm
    > > willing to pay for advice that works...

    > Talk to your ISPs on each end. Improve the network latency between them.
    > If you're expecting to get by on the cheap using the internet then you're
    > not going to get it to work reliably. If you're outsourcing overseas then
    > you'll have to deal with increased networking costs. Possibly even going

    so
    > far as dedicated virtual circuits.

    it is worth working out what the "inherent" latency is between the
    locations - if you are close to that then you need to alter the topology.

    if you cant fix it, then you will need a more local call processor - maybe
    you can make the local 8300 the default and fall back to the remote
    processor?

    > It's not the equipment that's at fault here, its the network you're

    putting
    > it on.

    well sort of - but good network gear should not have built in limiting
    assumptions about bounded delay. (or at least if it does there should be
    something in the documentation).

    --
    Regards

    stephen, May 11, 2005
  4. Jason  Kolb

    wkearney99 Guest

    > well sort of - but good network gear should not have built in limiting
    > assumptions about bounded delay. (or at least if it does there should be
    > something in the documentation).

    Given the nature of the application it's not like operating in a
    high-latency, or worse yet an inconsistent latency, situation is going to
    work reliably. Shifting from circuit-switched to packet-switched doesn't
    change the underlying need to reliable delivery of the data. If the
    underlying network can't deliver then no devices are going to work reliably.

    wkearney99, May 12, 2005