Avast! warning has no ignore for false positives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack, Dec 3, 2008.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    XP Home [SP3]

    Avast! v. 4.8.1296 [Home Edition]

    Recently avast! antivirus has been identifying more apparently false
    positives which has lead to a considerable problem. The warning dialogue
    when a virus is found gives the options 'Move/Rename', 'Delete', 'Repair',
    'Move to chest' and 'No action'. There is no ignore button for the situation
    where the user is certain the file is not malware, the 'No action' button
    does not run the application and would seem to be an ignore response but
    actually is not and removes permission to run the file such that next time
    it is executed there is a windows alert saying 'Windows cannot access the
    specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate
    permissions to access the item'. This makes the problem executable
    effectively unusable - I have had two applications hashed in this way. I
    imagine I could recover the programs by rebooting to safe mode and resetting
    permissions and removing avast! but I would prefer a true ignore. If a false
    positive hit a system critical file there could be a real problem. Closing
    the warning without clicking any button has the same effect as selecting 'No
    action' and the suspect file is made unusable. Is there any way to truly
    ignore the warning and have the action remembered so that the file stays
    functional or is this an overlooked response to false positives in avast!
    Thanks.

    Jack, Dec 3, 2008

  2. Jack

    Juan Kerr Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message

    > XP Home [SP3]
    >
    > Avast! v. 4.8.1296 [Home Edition]
    >
    > Recently avast! antivirus has been identifying more apparently false
    > positives which has lead to a considerable problem. The warning dialogue
    > when a virus is found gives the options 'Move/Rename', 'Delete', 'Repair',
    > 'Move to chest' and 'No action'. There is no ignore button for the
    > situation where the user is certain the file is not malware, the 'No
    > action' button does not run the application and would seem to be an ignore
    > response but actually is not and removes permission to run the file such
    > that next time it is executed there is a windows alert saying 'Windows
    > cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the
    > appropriate permissions to access the item'. This makes the problem
    > executable effectively unusable - I have had two applications hashed in
    > this way. I imagine I could recover the programs by rebooting to safe mode
    > and resetting permissions and removing avast! but I would prefer a true
    > ignore. If a false positive hit a system critical file there could be a
    > real problem. Closing the warning without clicking any button has the same
    > effect as selecting 'No action' and the suspect file is made unusable. Is
    > there any way to truly ignore the warning and have the action remembered
    > so that the file stays functional or is this an overlooked response to
    > false positives in avast! Thanks.
    >

    > --

    Avast is a pain with things like this, whatever it detects and whatever you
    select as a reply to the alert it will remove permission to run it again.
    Your only option is to disable Avast real time detections, reinstall the
    detected item, tell Avast not to include it in it's scans, then re-enable
    real time protection.. but only if you are SURE the software detected is not
    a real problem.

    Juan Kerr, Dec 4, 2008