    zvnteq7 Guest

    Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    expert opinions from here :)
    zvnteq7, Apr 26, 2009

  2. zvnteq7

    Mike Easter Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:
    > Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    > expert opinions from here :)

    Better how?

    The popular free AVs are very similar in effectiveness and resource usage.
    The business about AV comparatives studies isn't all that much different.
    It really comes down to the interface features and likes and dislikes.

    There are some people who are real fans of freeware who recommend paying
    for the AV.

    .... and, some of the payware AVs which were on everyone's sh*tlist not so
    long ago are rising in reputation again.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 26, 2009

  3. zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$:

    > Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    > expert opinions from here :)

    You need to ask this question in the right group.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will
    scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will
    refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something
    which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he
    will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is
    explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Apr 26, 2009
  4. Mike Easter wrote:
    > zvnteq7 wrote:
    >> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    >> expert opinions from here :)

    Avira doesn't turn booting up into a week-long epic and has a small resource
    footprint.

    Centre Parting, Apr 26, 2009
  5. zvnteq7

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:51:11 +0100, "Centre Parting"
    <> wrote:

    >Mike Easter wrote:
    >> zvnteq7 wrote:
    >>> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    >>> expert opinions from here :)

    >Avira doesn't turn booting up into a week-long epic and has a small resource
    >footprint.

    I use Avast, and my computer doesn't take a week to boot up.
    Evan Platt, Apr 26, 2009
  6. zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt07lu$lld$:

    > Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:
    >> zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$:
    >>
    >>> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna
    >>> hear expert opinions from here :)

    >> You need to ask this question in the right group.
    >>

    > alt.usenet.kooks?

    alt.comp.virus, which is where your reply went...in case you wondered.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Apr 26, 2009
  7. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:51:11 +0100, "Centre Parting"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Avira doesn't turn booting up into a week-long epic and has a small
    >> resource footprint.

    > I use Avast, and my computer doesn't take a week to boot up.

    Try it vs. a clean install on the same machine.
    Then get back to me.
    Centre Parting, Apr 26, 2009
  8. zvnteq7

    alan Guest

    "philo" wrote
    >... The Avast update process is much smoother than AVG's so I switched. ...

    I use AVG and never perceived its update process to be anything other than
    "smooth". I can either schedule it automatically with no interference with
    other processes, or do it manually in about 30 seconds. How is Avast's
    update process any "smoother" than that? Just curious . . .
    alan, Apr 26, 2009
  9. zvnteq7

    1D10T Guest

    "Centre Parting" <> wrote in message

    > Try it vs. a clean install on the same machine.
    > Then get back to me.

    I've done that comparing Avast!, Avira, McAfee and Norton. Boot-time of new
    clean XP Pro install is 22 seconds, with Avast!, 33, Avira, 39, McAfee 44,
    Norton, 1:28. All with boot-time scanning off. Not opinions, just repeated
    results. BTW - what's the race about for quick boot-times? Hit the power
    switch, start a pot of coffee, pour a glass of OJ, go back to the desk and
    voila!
    1D10T, Apr 26, 2009
  10. zvnteq7

    VanguardLH Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:

    > Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    > expert opinions from here :)

    Depends. Are you asking about the free or payware versions?

    If free, Avast is better because it keeps almost all of its features
    whereas the free version of Avira does not include the web shield and
    drive-by detection. The free Avast does not include the script blocker
    (a stacked handler for the script interpreter). Other functions not in
    the free "Home" version of Avast are for enterprise features that don't
    reduce the protection level of the free product. Avast includes a
    boot-time scan option that isn't available in Avira. Avast includes URL
    blocking in their web shield which is very handy to block certain
    domains from showing their content in web pages. I use it to get rid of
    ads (instead of using an ad-blocker program), including those
    intellitext ads (where they popup when you hover over a double
    underlined word in a web page). However, you could do the same with
    Avira by using OpenDNS as your DNS server (instead of the one from your
    ISP) but there is a limit of 50 blocked domains in a free OpenDNS
    account. Free Avira doesn't include an e-mail scanner but the
    recommendation is to not use one so Avast having it in their free
    version is a wash (except their Outlook add-on works quite well).

    If paid, Avira would probably be better. The free version is mild
    nagware in that they shove a "Pro" promo window in your face during
    updates; however, there are current methods that are know to get rid of
    this nuisance (along with the load-time banner window) but that doesn't
    mean they will continue to work in the future. Avast has an option to
    not display the update progress at all, or an option to not display it
    when an application is running fullscreen, like a game. I don't recall
    the same option in Avira but then I haven't used it for a few months.

    If you get the paid version of Avira, I'm not that I'd waste time or
    memory on their firewall included in their suite bundle. At that point,
    I'd probably use either the Comodo or TallEmu Online Armor firewall
    (both free) which include HIPS that gives me excellent control over what
    can load into memory and can get a connection and even track permission
    to the parent of the child process that actually makes the connection.

    Typically Avira and Avast are at the top of the list for pest detection
    with Avira usually inching a percentage point higher than Avast. Avira
    used to have more false positives than Avast but it appears they reduced
    that nuisance.

    I did run into a problem that has been reported by Avira users for over
    2 years. After installation and when active, Avira may repeatedly
    access your external drives, like your floppy drive. Apparently Avira
    doesn't understand the difference between querying a drive device and
    actually accessing its media. The problem stems from other utilities
    that will query devices. When you run Nero or other CD/DVD burning
    software, it polls the devices to see what are currently available for
    use. SMART utilities will poll your drives. Speedfan polls drives
    (because it uses SMART to report those stats). Once a process queries a
    drive, and because Avira interprets it as an access instead of a query,
    Avira will retouch the floppy drive once every 60 to 65 seconds. It can
    become quite nuisancesome to keep hearing the buzz noise when your
    floppy gets accessed every minute. This doesn't happen on all hosts but
    it does happen. So watch for it if you go with Avira. In the over 2
    years that this problem has been reported, Avira hasn't fixed it yet.
    VanguardLH, Apr 26, 2009
  11. zvnteq7

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:51:11 +0100, Centre Parting wrote:

    > Avira doesn't turn booting up into a week-long epic

    Nor does Avast.

    > and has a small
    > resource footprint.

    So has avast.

    Aardvark, Apr 26, 2009
  12. zvnteq7

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The zvnteq7 Post:
    > Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    > expert opinions from here :)

    Not an expert, and do not rely totally on so called expert advice. I
    have been using Avast for about 6 years now and it has operated on my
    systems flawlessly. It has on a couple occasions popped up a warning
    sign with advice as to how to correct the issue. It runs quietly in
    the background, updates it's self and lets me know when new updates
    have been installed. I am as happy as a pig rolling around in warm
    mud with it. Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo, Apr 26, 2009
  13. zvnteq7

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:
    > zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$:
    >
    >> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    >> expert opinions from here :)

    > You need to ask this question in the right group.

    What kind of a dip shit reply is that? 24hoursupport.helpdesk is
    first on the list with a zillion subcategories. It is required by no
    one to use the subcategories. Unless you have a deed of trues for
    USENET and are about to change things. <g>

    OldGringo, Apr 26, 2009
  14. OldGringo wrote in news:4c2Jl.15539$:

    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:
    >> zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$:
    >>
    >>> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna
    >>> hear expert opinions from here :)

    >> You need to ask this question in the right group.
    >>

    > What kind of a dip shit reply is that? 24hoursupport.helpdesk is
    > first on the list with a zillion subcategories. It is required by no
    > one to use the subcategories. Unless you have a deed of trues for
    > USENET and are about to change things. <g>

    I take it you didn't notice that I crossposted the question to
    alt.comp.virus.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Apr 26, 2009
  15. OldGringo wrote:
    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:
    >> zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$:
    >>
    >>> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna
    >>> hear expert opinions from here :)

    >> You need to ask this question in the right group.
    >>

    > What kind of a dip shit reply is that? 24hoursupport.helpdesk is
    > first on the list with a zillion subcategories. It is required by no
    > one to use the subcategories. Unless you have a deed of trues for
    > USENET and are about to change things. <g>

    Don't worry, he's probably a Linux-using traffic warden.
    Centre Parting, Apr 26, 2009
  16. Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:
    > OldGringo wrote in news:4c2Jl.15539$:
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:

    >>> You need to ask this question in the right group.
    >>>

    >> What kind of a dip shit reply is that? 24hoursupport.helpdesk is
    >> first on the list with a zillion subcategories. It is required by no
    >> one to use the subcategories. Unless you have a deed of trues for
    >> USENET and are about to change things. <g>

    > I take it you didn't notice that I crossposted the question to
    > alt.comp.virus.

    Hehe.

    Nice one, Rhonda.

    ;)
    Centre Parting, Apr 26, 2009
  17. zvnteq7

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:
    > OldGringo wrote in news:4c2Jl.15539$:
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:

    >>> You need to ask this question in the right group.
    >>>

    >> What kind of a dip shit reply is that? 24hoursupport.helpdesk is
    >> first on the list with a zillion subcategories. It is required by no
    >> one to use the subcategories. Unless you have a deed of trues for
    >> USENET and are about to change things. <g>

    > I take it you didn't notice that I crossposted the question to
    > alt.comp.virus.

    Not at first damn it. and Thunderbird says it's 2 words.

    OldGringo, Apr 26, 2009
  18. zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$:

    > Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
    > expert opinions from here :)

    I really wish you would ask this question in acv, but since you don't
    seem to want to do that, you should choose Avira anyway. It's much
    better than Avast.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Apr 26, 2009
  19. OldGringo wrote in news:5G2Jl.15540$:

    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:
    >> OldGringo wrote in news:4c2Jl.15539$:
    >>
    >>> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:

    >>> What kind of a dip shit reply is that? 24hoursupport.helpdesk is
    >>> first on the list with a zillion subcategories. It is required by no
    >>> one to use the subcategories. Unless you have a deed of trues for
    >>> USENET and are about to change things. <g>

    >> I take it you didn't notice that I crossposted the question to
    >> alt.comp.virus.
    >>

    > Not at first damn it.

    I added alt.comp.virus in the first post, and set the follow-ups there.
    Few noticed, which is why several replies went missing. I should've
    noted in the first post that I had done it, but when I realized, the
    post had already gone. Then I made the second, more specific post, but
    without the crosspost.

    > and Thunderbird says it's 2 words.

    Says *what* is two words? "Crosspost?" Thunderbird is retarded. ;)

    BTW, George, how have you been?

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Apr 26, 2009
  20. zvnteq7

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:
    > OldGringo wrote in news:5G2Jl.15540$:
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Post:

    >>> I take it you didn't notice that I crossposted the question to
    >>> alt.comp.virus.
    >>>

    >> Not at first damn it.

    > I added alt.comp.virus in the first post, and set the follow-ups there.
    > Few noticed, which is why several replies went missing. I should've
    > noted in the first post that I had done it, but when I realized, the
    > post had already gone. Then I made the second, more specific post, but
    > without the crosspost.
    >
    >> and Thunderbird says it's 2 words.

    > Says *what* is two words? "Crosspost?" Thunderbird is retarded. ;)
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
    >
    > BTW, George, how have you been?

    Doing ok but getting older than hell and it's starting to show.
    Haven't seen you for a long time, hope all is well on your end.

    OldGringo, Apr 26, 2009