AVAST questions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jess Fertudei, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. I decided to try AVAST AV (free home version) based on seeing lots of good
    reports from users in USENET (no small deal as USENET posters diss
    *everything*).

    It seems to be running with every little thing I do. It seems that webpages
    open slower with it as if it is checking them, mail is slower and even news
    that is set to check for new headers every few minutes is now popping up
    with 'cannot connect' messages and 'cannot open' posts.

    I'm not sure what the interface is that they have with the icon in the
    systray... looks great but not easily self explanitory. It shows Instant
    messaging, Internet Mail, Network Shield, Outlook/Exchange, P2P Shield,
    Standard Shield, Web Shield. Are these checking web and mail and such with
    each message as Norton does with checking e-mail? If yes... is it redundant
    and OK to shut them all off like I used to with Norton, IOW It would catch a
    virus when I tried to open the infected file or post anyhow?

    I understand that I am only starting to get aquanted with AVAST and these
    may seems like basic questions, but, I really do want to find an alternative
    to Norton at this point... but only if it doesn't cause just as many
    problems.

    Thanks.

    Jess Fertudei, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Jess Fertudei wrote:
    > I decided to try AVAST AV (free home version) based on seeing lots of
    > good reports from users in USENET (no small deal as USENET posters
    > diss *everything*).
    >
    > It seems to be running with every little thing I do. It seems that
    > webpages open slower with it as if it is checking them, mail is
    > slower and even news that is set to check for new headers every few
    > minutes is now popping up with 'cannot connect' messages and 'cannot
    > open' posts.
    >
    > I'm not sure what the interface is that they have with the icon in the
    > systray... looks great but not easily self explanitory. It shows
    > Instant messaging, Internet Mail, Network Shield, Outlook/Exchange,
    > P2P Shield, Standard Shield, Web Shield. Are these checking web and
    > mail and such with each message as Norton does with checking e-mail?
    > If yes... is it redundant and OK to shut them all off like I used to
    > with Norton, IOW It would catch a virus when I tried to open the
    > infected file or post anyhow?
    >
    > I understand that I am only starting to get aquanted with AVAST and
    > these may seems like basic questions, but, I really do want to find
    > an alternative to Norton at this point... but only if it doesn't
    > cause just as many problems.

    I was having trouble downloading files. They would reach a point less than
    100% and die. Uninstalling Avast fixed the problem.

    During the next install I chose only the Internet Mail, Network shield, and
    Web shield options. No more downloading troubles.

    In short, I think Avast is a good product, with good detection, heuristics,
    and very few false positives, certainly the equal of NAV 2005 and other well
    known AV products. You may want to run the installer and choose the options
    which you need as opposed to all possible scanner options.

    Leigh Knox-Ux, Apr 23, 2005

  3. "Leigh Knox-Ux" <> wrote in message
    > Jess Fertudei wrote:
    > > I decided to try AVAST AV (free home version) based on seeing lots of
    > > good reports from users in USENET (no small deal as USENET posters
    > > diss *everything*).
    > >
    > > It seems to be running with every little thing I do. It seems that
    > > webpages open slower with it as if it is checking them, mail is
    > > slower and even news that is set to check for new headers every few
    > > minutes is now popping up with 'cannot connect' messages and 'cannot
    > > open' posts.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure what the interface is that they have with the icon in the
    > > systray... looks great but not easily self explanitory. It shows
    > > Instant messaging, Internet Mail, Network Shield, Outlook/Exchange,
    > > P2P Shield, Standard Shield, Web Shield. Are these checking web and
    > > mail and such with each message as Norton does with checking e-mail?
    > > If yes... is it redundant and OK to shut them all off like I used to
    > > with Norton, IOW It would catch a virus when I tried to open the
    > > infected file or post anyhow?
    > >
    > > I understand that I am only starting to get aquanted with AVAST and
    > > these may seems like basic questions, but, I really do want to find
    > > an alternative to Norton at this point... but only if it doesn't
    > > cause just as many problems.

    > I was having trouble downloading files. They would reach a point less than
    > 100% and die. Uninstalling Avast fixed the problem.
    >
    > During the next install I chose only the Internet Mail, Network shield,

    and
    > Web shield options. No more downloading troubles.
    >
    > In short, I think Avast is a good product, with good detection,

    heuristics,
    > and very few false positives, certainly the equal of NAV 2005 and other

    well
    > known AV products. You may want to run the installer and choose the

    options
    > which you need as opposed to all possible scanner options.

    Thanks. I see, now, that I can disable these things, so I don't see that a
    re0install is called for... just wondering if I'm any less protected by
    doing so. I'd try it, but it's one of those things where there's no safe
    controlled test to see if I'm right.

    Jess Fertudei, Apr 25, 2005