    on-access protection, but I also like the fact that AVG picked up a trojan
    hiding in my system that Norton never found. Which one would you consider
    to be better? Or is it more a matter of personal preference?
    Jack Underwood, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Jack Underwood

    SteveB Guest

    All the comparison tests I've seen put them at about the same level of
    virus detection ability. FWIW I got a virus about 2 hours after an AVG
    update, moved over to a paid for F-Secure (very secure) for a year, but have
    now been using Avast for 3 months with no nasties to report. I'm using it
    with Kerio 2.1.5 as a free firewall.
    SteveB, Sep 25, 2005

  3. On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:54:33 +0100, SteveB wrote:

    > All the comparison tests I've seen put them at about the same level of
    > virus detection ability. FWIW I got a virus about 2 hours after an AVG
    > update, moved over to a paid for F-Secure (very secure) for a year, but have
    > now been using Avast for 3 months with no nasties to report. I'm using it
    > with Kerio 2.1.5 as a free firewall.

    I'm going to use avast! on this one. Although AVG has many good scanning
    options, I like avast's approach by scanning all inbound traffic and
    scanning files on access. The only problem I have had with it is that it
    detected "John the Ripper" as a virus, which could technically be true.
    avast seems a good deal faster as well.

    P.S: John is for password auditing; I know it's on my system.
    Jack Underwood, Sep 25, 2005
  4. Jack Underwood

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <0EBZe.78855$>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:54:33 +0100, SteveB wrote:
    >
    > > All the comparison tests I've seen put them at about the same level of
    > > virus detection ability. FWIW I got a virus about 2 hours after an AVG
    > > update, moved over to a paid for F-Secure (very secure) for a year, but have
    > > now been using Avast for 3 months with no nasties to report. I'm using it
    > > with Kerio 2.1.5 as a free firewall.

    > I'm going to use avast! on this one. Although AVG has many good scanning
    > options, I like avast's approach by scanning all inbound traffic and
    > scanning files on access. The only problem I have had with it is that it
    > detected "John the Ripper" as a virus, which could technically be true.
    > avast seems a good deal faster as well.
    >
    > P.S: John is for password auditing; I know it's on my system.

    Avast is very nice, you shouldn't be disappointed. I particularly like
    the web shield, scanning all your web traffic for nasties, even inside
    zip files and so on. Very handy.. Updates are good, nice features,
    etc. I prefer Avast over AVG by far...

    --
    Kerodo
    Kerodo, Sep 25, 2005
  5. Jack Underwood

    Rusty Guest

    I find Avast really slows my system compared to AVG.

    I've used AVG free version for quite a few years and it's never let me down
    yet.

    Cheers,
    Ken

    Rusty, Sep 26, 2005
  6. Jack Underwood

    PRoToCoL Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:32:38 -0700, Kerodo <>
    wrote:

    >> > All the comparison tests I've seen put them at about the same level of
    >> > virus detection ability. FWIW I got a virus about 2 hours after an AVG
    >> > update, moved over to a paid for F-Secure (very secure) for a year, but have
    >> > now been using Avast for 3 months with no nasties to report. I'm using it
    >> > with Kerio 2.1.5 as a free firewall.

    >> I'm going to use avast! on this one. Although AVG has many good scanning
    >> options, I like avast's approach by scanning all inbound traffic and
    >> scanning files on access. The only problem I have had with it is that it
    >> detected "John the Ripper" as a virus, which could technically be true.
    >> avast seems a good deal faster as well.
    >>
    >> P.S: John is for password auditing; I know it's on my system.
    >>

    >Avast is very nice, you shouldn't be disappointed. I particularly like
    >the web shield, scanning all your web traffic for nasties, even inside
    >zip files and so on. Very handy.. Updates are good, nice features,
    >etc. I prefer Avast over AVG by far...

    I quite liked Avast but it gave me problems with both Grabit and News
    Leecher where there were multiple connections to the news server.
    The downloads went sort of stuttering...stopping and starting

    Is this a known problem with a cure ?
    PRoToCoL, Sep 26, 2005
  7. Jack Underwood

    JeZuZ Guest

    Jack Underwood wrote:
    > ... , but I also like the fact that AVG picked up a trojan
    > hiding in my system that Norton never found. Which one would you consider
    > to be better? Or is it more a matter of personal preference?

    Be carefull with false positives. Just creating a file called
    text.txt.pif is enough for some AV programs to claim that your system is
    infected with a Trojan.
    JeZuZ, Sep 30, 2005