    new kid on the block Avast, can anyone advise me if its actually better than
    AVG or should I ignore hype.............. if its hype.

    Thanks

    Bigfred, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Bigfred

    °Mike° Guest

    They are both crap. If you value your security, pay for
    a decent antivirus solution.

    Virus Bulletin -- AVG
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    Virus Bulletin -- AVAST
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml

    Recommended solutions:

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates) -- free for one year.
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:01:01 GMT, in
    <NsFHc.23672$I%>
    Bigfred scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Well I've been using AVG for years now and I havent had any virus infections
    as of yet.... well, I also have symantec antivirus running too, probably
    catches the stuff AVG doesnt. :)

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > They are both crap. If you value your security, pay for
    > a decent antivirus solution.
    >
    > Virus Bulletin -- AVG
    > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml
    >
    > Virus Bulletin -- AVAST
    > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml
    >

    > Recommended solutions:
    >
    > KAV (Kaspersky)
    > http://www.kaspersky.com/
    >
    > eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates) -- free for one year.
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    >
    > Sophos
    > http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/
    >

    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:01:01 GMT, in
    > <NsFHc.23672$I%>
    > Bigfred scrawled:
    >
    > >Been using AVG anti virus for a number of years but I have now heard of

    this
    > >new kid on the block Avast, can anyone advise me if its actually better

    than
    > >AVG or should I ignore hype.............. if its hype.
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    ---

    Jeffrey Lennon, Jul 10, 2004
  4. Bigfred

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:54:08 GMT, in
    <AeGHc.8690$>
    Jeffrey Lennon scrawled:

    >Well I've been using AVG for years now and I havent had any
    >virus infections as of yet....

    You could run a computer WITHOUT antivirus protection
    for years, and not get infected. That proves nothing.

    Oh, and please turn off the stupid, broken AVG signature.
    It serves absolutely NO purpose in a plain text medium,
    can NOT guarantee "virus free", and does not get snipped
    automatically in replies.

    >well, I also have symantec antivirus running too, probably
    >catches the stuff AVG doesnt. :)

    That's not a good idea IF you have them both resident.

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> They are both crap. If you value your security, pay for
    >> a decent antivirus solution.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 10, 2004
  5. Bigfred

    Bigfred Guest

    I have seen this before in this newsgroup about switching off AVG Signature
    its seems to get some people rather riled , can you tell me why is this
    case, is there a reason why it should be switched off.

    Bigfred, Jul 10, 2004
  6. Bigfred

    Boomer Guest

    "Bigfred" <> wrote:

    > I have seen this before in this newsgroup about switching off
    > AVG Signature its seems to get some people rather riled , can
    > you tell me why is this case, is there a reason why it should be
    > switched off.
    >
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    >> It serves absolutely NO purpose in a plain text medium,
    >> can NOT guarantee "virus free", and does not get snipped
    >> automatically in replies.

    [snip]

    Boomer, Jul 10, 2004
  7. Bigfred

    °Mike° Guest

    Read my reply again. It's a spam mechanism from Grisoft,
    who refuse to fix the signature delimiter, which should be
    two dashes, followed by one space, followed by a CR/LF.
    As you can see, Grisoft refuse to replace their THREE
    dashes with two, which would at least allow for it to be
    automatically snipped in replies.

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:49:58 GMT, in
    <auSHc.28187$I%>
    Bigfred scrawled:

    >I have seen this before in this newsgroup about switching off AVG Signature
    >its seems to get some people rather riled , can you tell me why is this
    >case, is there a reason why it should be switched off.
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> Oh, and please turn off the stupid, broken AVG signature.
    >> It serves absolutely NO purpose in a plain text medium,
    >> can NOT guarantee "virus free", and does not get snipped
    >> automatically in replies.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance