  1. Nowhere

    Nowhere Guest

    Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    Nowhere, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Nowhere

    Dean Peters Guest

    AVG is the best option if you are serious about protecting your system

    If you want a program which looks better, allows you to change skins, takes
    up more system resources then pick Avast.

    Dean Peters, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Nowhere

    Cleb Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    > Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    I do know that I have used AVG for a long time and it works very well.

    Cleb, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Nowhere

    Cleb Guest

    Cleb, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Nowhere

    ellis_jay Guest

    Dean Peters wrote:
    > AVG is the best option if you are serious about protecting your system
    >
    > If you want a program which looks better, allows you to change skins,
    > takes up more system resources then pick Avast.

    I agree. Lots of bells and whistles and optional second icon make for a
    bloated redundancy.

    --
    He released government from the restraint of law.
    ____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Nowhere

    Old Gringo Guest

    Nowhere wrote:
    > Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    Deciding which is best would be to evaluate each one yourself and
    then make the decision.. I tried the 3 major freebies for a period
    of 8 months. After my evaluation which has little meaning, I
    selected Avast. The prime reason was it's ability to connect to it's
    home base for updates, the ease of operation with my OS (Win98se).
    The duel icons spoke of in this thread can be combined as one. And I
    like a little eye candy now and then (Bells & Whistles). :)
    Good Luck in making your decision.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Nowhere

    Cleb Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    > Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    I have used AVG for some time now without problems.

    Cleb, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Nowhere

    Cleb Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    > Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    I have used AVG for some time now and find in excellent!

    Cleb, Apr 7, 2005
  9. Nowhere

    Old Gringo Guest

    Nowhere wrote:
    > Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    PS: Wanted to add, prior to the 8 month evaluation I ran with no
    virus protection from 1993 until August of last year with no
    problems. My first OS upgrade was to dos-6 many computers ago. :)

    Old Gringo, Apr 7, 2005
  10. Nowhere

    Pegasus Guest

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:53:40 +0000 (UTC), "Cleb" <> wrote:

    >"Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    >> Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    >I have used AVG for some time now and find in excellent!

    I agree, it's a great program and it's free...

    Pegasus, Apr 7, 2005
  11. Nowhere

    Barney Guest

    "Nowhere" <> had
    writtennews:d333ng$ol6$:

    > Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    I have used both and like Avast better. It has a screen saver that
    tests your system when the computer is idle. I use dialup and it
    checks for updates when I connect. No interference, just install it
    and forget about it. Avast uses no more memory then AVG and the "eye
    candy" is optional. I don't bother with the eye candy because it's
    rare I even look at the screen page. I like the fact it dosen't
    brand my mail, to or from. It has worked fine for me. AVG has in the
    past a few update problems. Avast has so far been worry free.

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, Apr 7, 2005
  12. Nowhere

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote:

    >Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    Two things in favor of Avast:

    1. It works with Windows 95, and AVG has issues with it.

    2. It works on 64 bit Windows XP, and is perhaps the only AV product
    that will.

    But for general use other that these two situations I prefer AVG.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Apr 7, 2005
  13. Nowhere

    philo Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    > Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    i've been using AVG for years
    and have really liked it.
    it picks up a lot of stuff (on computers that i work on) that are missed by
    some
    of the "big name" anti-virus utilites.
    it seems to have updates avail about once a week or so which
    is fine

    philo, Apr 7, 2005
  14. Nowhere

    Ian Field Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > Dean Peters wrote:
    > > AVG is the best option if you are serious about protecting your system
    > >
    > > If you want a program which looks better, allows you to change skins,
    > > takes up more system resources then pick Avast.

    > I agree. Lots of bells and whistles and optional second icon make for a
    > bloated redundancy.
    >

    > > "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    > >> Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    > --
    > He released government from the restraint of law.
    > ____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and
    > the Straussian neocons
    >
    > Ellis_Jay

    The free version of AVG worked fine on my PC so I decided to upgrade to the
    paid for version. 2 years ago it cost about £34 UKP, the license lasts 2
    years. When I bought AVG7 recently the price had fallen to just under £30
    UKP. There have been no virus problems since using AVG and you can download
    the update as frequently as you like.

    Ian Field, Apr 8, 2005
  15. Nowhere

    Sultan Guest

    "Dean Peters" <> wrote in

    > AVG is the best option if you are serious about protecting your

    system

    > If you want a program which looks better, allows you to change

    skins,
    > takes up more system resources then pick Avast.
    >

    > "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    >> Which is best? Why does Avast update its program more?

    I too would have to say AVG is the better choice for the same reasons
    ellis stated. I've been using AVG for the last three years and aside
    from a now fixed problem with e-mail scanning in the free 7.0 version
    I can't say enough good about it.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Apr 8, 2005
  16. Nowhere

    grandpa Guest

    i've use the AVG FREE VERSION from version 6 to now version 7 & i've no
    problem from win 95 to now win XP pro with SP2

    grandpa, Apr 10, 2005
  17. Nowhere

    Carol2 Guest

    I don't know about Avast, but.......I've sometimes received up to 3 or 4
    updates/day from AVG free vs. To explain......since moderating an
    online class, I got in the habit of checking for new AVG updates each
    time I logged onto the net & have continued the practice ever since.

    Carol2

    Carol2, Apr 10, 2005
  18. Nowhere

    Plato Guest

    Carol2 wrote:

    > I don't know about Avast, but.......I've sometimes received up to 3 or 4

    Avast has been working fine on both my teens' pcs.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 10, 2005