    --
    Denise

    ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, Jun 19, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

    XS11E Guest

    Denise <> wrote:

    > My computer is running fine but I don't want these files taking up
    > all that space for nothing. Can I delete these files from
    > quarantine?

    Yes.

    XS11E, Jun 19, 2007

  3. The link that you posted has nothing to do with decompression bombs.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, Jun 19, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

    XS11E Guest

    Denise <> wrote:

    > The link that you posted has nothing to do with decompression bombs.

    I didn't post a link.

    XS11E, Jun 19, 2007
  5. Before you go ahed and remove them all, do consider where the file came
    from, there's a good possibillity that the file could be O.K. while the
    algorithm that Avast is using has trouble analyzing this multi-packaging
    correctly at all times. One person on the forum you mentioned also says how
    only one out of several of these files that he compressed himself was
    flagged this way. If you trust the app that the file belongs to, then I
    would leave it where it is.

    It's no use trusting your anti-virus to dispose of your data, before
    accepting any suggestion you should try and find out what kind of file it is
    and where you got it from - if for nothing else, you may need it badly one
    day, so where will you go then?

    Tony. . .

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > I ran a scan with Avast home version in normal mode. Avast came back with
    > about 10 or so results that said, "Unable to scan: The file is a
    > decompression bomb." I put them in quarantine and ran another Avast scan

    in
    > Safe Mode yesterday and they weren't there.
    >
    > When I Googled "decompression bomb" I found a post at a forum where

    someone
    > said that, "Typically such a bomb is a multi-level packing thing -- data's
    > compressed with one packer (e.g. into a zip), then the resulting archive

    file
    > is in turn packed (usually with a different packer), and so on several

    times.
    > We had a thread here a while back reporting avast and system crashes from
    > trying to scan an apparently small file (50 or 100K, if I remember) which
    > would have eventually expanded, if disk space and memory were available,

    to a

    Tony Sperling, Jun 19, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    No link was posted. Only a 1 word answer. I personally would wait several
    weeks before deleting them, then I agree that if you have no problems, which
    would be expected, you can delete them. OTOH you can always just archive
    them to a RW DVD/CD.

    John Barnes, Jun 19, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

    XS11E Guest

    "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > No link was posted. Only a 1 word answer. I personally would
    > wait several weeks before deleting them, then I agree that if you
    > have no problems, which would be expected, you can delete them.
    > OTOH you can always just archive them to a RW DVD/CD.

    John, FWIW, she said:

    "My computer is running fine" so I assume (yeah, I know!) that they're
    safe to delete. Maybe one way would be to move them to the recycle bin
    for a few days?

    Don't you think "several weeks" is probably longer than needed?

    XS11E, Jun 19, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I just feel more secure to keep them available basically as long as it
    usually takes me to use the bulk of the programs on my computer (recycle bin
    is great, too), unless I know what they are associated with. I usually use
    most of my programs each month or uninstall them. I have never seen a multi
    level archive that is used in the normal course of programs running, though
    single level archives do get used. Most of my multi level archives have
    been BIOS upgrades that get multiple layers of .zip and .rar files.

    John Barnes, Jun 19, 2007
  9. I'll have to run another Avast scan to get a good look at the
    file/folder/program that it belongs to. I couldn't get a report from Avast
    or even copy and paste the names of bombs. There was a mix of the
    compression bombs with other files so that there were about 100 files that
    Avast found.

    Thanks for your input everybody.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, Jun 19, 2007