    problem?", then Windows says it can't find any problem (or words to that
    effect). I'm running Win XP Pro SP3, with Zone Alarm firewall.

    This problem just began a few days ago.

    J, Aug 11, 2010

  2. What website?

    *WARNING* Please Do NOT follow any advice given by the Trolls listed
    below. Trolls CAN NOT help you. They latch on to my posts like leeches.
    David H Lipman, Peter Foldes, Barry Schwarz, PA Bear, Leythos.

    The Real Truth MVP, Aug 12, 2010

  3. J

    J Guest

    Pick one! I can't open "a" webpage...."a" = "any".

    J, Aug 12, 2010
  4. J

    Hp Guest

    On 8/11/2010 6:54 PM, J wrote:
    > Anyone know what might be wrong with my installation avast? (Free version).
    > I can't open a webpage until I disable all shields, which means I'm surfing
    > unprotected. I get the 'blank' page in IE8 saying "diganose connection
    > problem?", then Windows says it can't find any problem (or words to that
    > effect). I'm running Win XP Pro SP3, with Zone Alarm firewall.

    > This problem just began a few days ago.

    are you also using the XP and above windows firewall??
    Hp, Aug 12, 2010
  5. J

    Leythos Guest

    In article <i3vatg$v6s$>, says...
    > *WARNING* Please Do NOT follow any advice given by the Trolls listed
    > below. Trolls CAN NOT help you. They latch on to my posts like leeches.
    > David H Lipman, Peter Foldes, Barry Schwarz, PA Bear, Leythos.

    Still stalking myself and others in your every post - you are as
    dishonorable as everyone has said you are Chris.

    Trust yourself.
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Aug 12, 2010
  6. J

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Chris

    You are a very dishonest person Chris. You can tell from your stalking of people.
    Geez man go and get a life

    --
    Peter

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Aug 12, 2010
  7. J

    chuckcar Guest

    "J" <> wrote in

    > Anyone know what might be wrong with my installation avast? (Free
    > version). I can't open a webpage until I disable all shields, which
    > means I'm surfing unprotected. I get the 'blank' page in IE8 saying
    > "diganose connection problem?", then Windows says it can't find any
    > problem (or words to that effect). I'm running Win XP Pro SP3, with
    > Zone Alarm firewall.
    >
    > This problem just began a few days ago.

    RTFM. For your firewall program. And disable *all* firewalls but zone
    alarm. Quick guess is that you've removed internet access for your web
    browser in ZA. Something fairly easy to do and precisely what is covered
    by firewall programs.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 12, 2010
  8. J

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "J" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone know what might be wrong with my installation avast? (Free
    >> version). I can't open a webpage until I disable all shields, which
    >> means I'm surfing unprotected. I get the 'blank' page in IE8 saying
    >> "diganose connection problem?", then Windows says it can't find any
    >> problem (or words to that effect). I'm running Win XP Pro SP3, with
    >> Zone Alarm firewall.
    >>
    >> This problem just began a few days ago.
    >>

    > RTFM. For your firewall program. And disable *all* firewalls but zone
    > alarm. Quick guess is that you've removed internet access for your web
    > browser in ZA. Something fairly easy to do and precisely what is covered
    > by firewall programs.

    Let me see. The OP is running Avast, an anti virus suite. Not a firewall.

    The OP cannot access web pages.

    The OP disables all shields in Avast. Avast, not any random firewall.

    Suddenly the OP can access web pages.

    Let me ask you chucktard, do you think the problem might just be with Avast
    (*) and not with some firewall that the OP may or may not have installed?

    Fucking moron.

    (*) I too have had problems with Avast. The latest install blocked, of all
    things, NTTP :)
    rf, Aug 12, 2010
  9. J

    VanguardLH Guest

    J wrote:

    > Anyone know what might be wrong with my installation avast? (Free version).
    > I can't open a webpage until I disable all shields, which means I'm surfing
    > unprotected. I get the 'blank' page in IE8 saying "diganose connection
    > problem?", then Windows says it can't find any problem (or words to that
    > effect). I'm running Win XP Pro SP3, with Zone Alarm firewall.
    >
    > This problem just began a few days ago.

    And we are to GUESS at *which* version of Avast that you use? For
    example, v4 had URL blocking that got dropped in v5. Did you install
    just the shields that you actually use, or did you opt to install them
    all despite not needing, say, the P2P, NNTP, e-mail, and other shields?
    The only shields you really should install are the File, Web, Network,
    and Behavior shields. The rest is fluff.

    Did you try disabling just one shield at a time, like the Web shield,
    and test if you got an Internet connection? You should narrow down
    which shield is causing the interference as there is a lot of
    functionality in one program to guess at what one might be causing the
    problem when you disable them all at once.

    Have you tried with all Avast shields enabled but starting IE8 in its no
    add-ons mode? Got any other web browser installed that you could use
    for testing when IE8 happens to not connect?
    VanguardLH, Aug 12, 2010
  10. J

    VanguardLH Guest

    J wrote:

    > Anyone know what might be wrong with my installation avast? (Free version).
    > I can't open a webpage until I disable all shields, which means I'm surfing
    > unprotected. I get the 'blank' page in IE8 saying "diganose connection
    > problem?", then Windows says it can't find any problem (or words to that
    > effect). I'm running Win XP Pro SP3, with Zone Alarm firewall.
    >
    > This problem just began a few days ago.

    By the way, Avast has their own user community forums at:

    http://forums.avast.com
    VanguardLH, Aug 12, 2010