    Is the detection and cleaning of virii/trojans good? AVG wasn't
    always great with this.

    TIA
    NoneOfBusiness, Jan 22, 2004

  2. NoneOfBusiness

    donutbandit Guest

    NoneOfBusiness <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have switched to using Avast! Free Edition on one of my pc's to
    > evaluate it, but i was just curious what other users think compared to
    > AVG. Is it a better product, worse, why? User opinions needed. So far
    > i kind of like it. The interface is not as intuitive as AVG's buts its
    > no worse than some i have seen from Norton or McAfee.
    >
    > Is the detection and cleaning of virii/trojans good? AVG wasn't
    > always great with this.
    >
    > TIA

    How do you tell? You have to get a virus before you know whether the AV
    program works. I doubt if any of the regulars in this NG ever gets a virus.

    Virus avoidance is 99% about prevention to begin with. If you practice safe
    browsing habits, your AV program is merely a safety net.

    I use AVG, and the only time I ever saw it go off was when I inserted a
    very old floppy disk to see if it was any good. AVG immediately reported a
    boot sector virus on the disk. I suspected it was a false alarm, but
    I destroyed the disk anyway.
    donutbandit, Jan 22, 2004

  3. NoneOfBusiness

    Kerodo Guest

    NoneOfBusiness wrote:
    > I have switched to using Avast! Free Edition on one of my pc's to
    > evaluate it, but i was just curious what other users think compared to
    > AVG. Is it a better product, worse, why? User opinions needed. So far
    > i kind of like it. The interface is not as intuitive as AVG's buts its
    > no worse than some i have seen from Norton or McAfee.
    >
    > Is the detection and cleaning of virii/trojans good? AVG wasn't
    > always great with this.
    >
    > TIA

    I recently tried both Avast and AVG. I preferred Avast slightly. Both,
    however, failed to handle email scanning properly. I think because
    neither of them handles errors on my mail server properly. I run
    Outlook minimized 24 hours a day for email. Both Avast and AVG worked
    fine for a few days, but then my incoming and outgoing email started to
    "clog up" and failed to send and receive until I exited Outlook and then
    reloaded it again.

    I did have occasion to see both AVG and Avast catch viruses. AVG didn't
    seem to handle them as well as Avast. Avast gave you more options when
    it encountered a virus.

    Anyway, after a few days of the email problems, I went back to Norton AV
    2003 again, which always seems to handle errors well. Everything in
    Norton works right. And that's what I want. So I'm now back to NAV...
    Kerodo, Jan 22, 2004
  4. On 22 Jan 2004 04:44:38 GMT, donutbandit <> wrote:

    >NoneOfBusiness <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have switched to using Avast! Free Edition on one of my pc's to
    >> evaluate it, but i was just curious what other users think compared to
    >> AVG. Is it a better product, worse, why? User opinions needed. So far
    >> i kind of like it. The interface is not as intuitive as AVG's buts its
    >> no worse than some i have seen from Norton or McAfee.
    >>
    >> Is the detection and cleaning of virii/trojans good? AVG wasn't
    >> always great with this.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    >How do you tell? You have to get a virus before you know whether the AV
    >program works. I doubt if any of the regulars in this NG ever gets a virus.
    >
    >Virus avoidance is 99% about prevention to begin with. If you practice safe
    >browsing habits, your AV program is merely a safety net.
    >
    >I use AVG, and the only time I ever saw it go off was when I inserted a
    >very old floppy disk to see if it was any good. AVG immediately reported a
    >boot sector virus on the disk. I suspected it was a false alarm, but
    >I destroyed the disk anyway.

    I ALWAYS practice safe computing. I know from testing and
    troubleshooting others who had AVG how it was. I like AVG, but i don't
    place as much trust in it as i do the Symantec Corporate AV. From
    what i saw of Avast, I like it as well but i don't have a true feel
    for the product yet.
    NoneOfBusiness, Jan 23, 2004
  5. On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:00:46 -0800, Kerodo <>
    wrote:

    >NoneOfBusiness wrote:
    >> I have switched to using Avast! Free Edition on one of my pc's to
    >> evaluate it, but i was just curious what other users think compared to
    >> AVG. Is it a better product, worse, why? User opinions needed. So far
    >> i kind of like it. The interface is not as intuitive as AVG's buts its
    >> no worse than some i have seen from Norton or McAfee.
    >>
    >> Is the detection and cleaning of virii/trojans good? AVG wasn't
    >> always great with this.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    >I recently tried both Avast and AVG. I preferred Avast slightly. Both,
    >however, failed to handle email scanning properly. I think because
    >neither of them handles errors on my mail server properly. I run
    >Outlook minimized 24 hours a day for email. Both Avast and AVG worked
    >fine for a few days, but then my incoming and outgoing email started to
    >"clog up" and failed to send and receive until I exited Outlook and then
    >reloaded it again.
    >
    >I did have occasion to see both AVG and Avast catch viruses. AVG didn't
    >seem to handle them as well as Avast. Avast gave you more options when
    >it encountered a virus.
    >
    >Anyway, after a few days of the email problems, I went back to Norton AV
    >2003 again, which always seems to handle errors well. Everything in
    >Norton works right. And that's what I want. So I'm now back to NAV...

    Thanks, thats more like the info i am looking for. Email scanning is
    not as big for me as i don't use Outlook or OE, i don't open
    attachments, i don't read HTML email, and i do not allow Javascript. I
    just want a decent free scanner to keep from buying Norton or Mcafee.
    NoneOfBusiness, Jan 23, 2004
  6. "NoneOfBusiness" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:00:46 -0800, Kerodo <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>

    > >Anyway, after a few days of the email problems, I went back to Norton AV
    > >2003 again, which always seems to handle errors well. Everything in
    > >Norton works right. And that's what I want. So I'm now back to NAV...

    > Thanks, thats more like the info i am looking for. Email scanning is
    > not as big for me as i don't use Outlook or OE, i don't open
    > attachments, i don't read HTML email, and i do not allow Javascript. I
    > just want a decent free scanner to keep from buying Norton or Mcafee.

    TBH, if it's a simple cost thing, then it might also be worth taking a look
    as CA's offering. Not sure what the price is currently (I'm still getting it
    for $9.95 per annum).

    Less than 3 cents a day with daily updates seems like a good price to me..
    ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 23, 2004
  7. NoneOfBusiness

    Bill Guest

    NoneOfBusiness wrote:

    > On 22 Jan 2004 04:44:38 GMT, donutbandit <> wrote:
    >
    >>NoneOfBusiness <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have switched to using Avast! Free Edition on one of my pc's to
    >>> evaluate it, but i was just curious what other users think compared to
    >>> AVG. Is it a better product, worse, why? User opinions needed. So far
    >>> i kind of like it. The interface is not as intuitive as AVG's buts its
    >>> no worse than some i have seen from Norton or McAfee.
    >>>
    >>> Is the detection and cleaning of virii/trojans good? AVG wasn't
    >>> always great with this.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >>How do you tell? You have to get a virus before you know whether the AV
    >>program works. I doubt if any of the regulars in this NG ever gets a
    >>virus.
    >>
    >>Virus avoidance is 99% about prevention to begin with. If you practice
    >>safe browsing habits, your AV program is merely a safety net.
    >>
    >>I use AVG, and the only time I ever saw it go off was when I inserted a
    >>very old floppy disk to see if it was any good. AVG immediately reported a
    >>boot sector virus on the disk. I suspected it was a false alarm, but
    >>I destroyed the disk anyway.

    > I ALWAYS practice safe computing. I know from testing and
    > troubleshooting others who had AVG how it was. I like AVG, but i don't
    > place as much trust in it as i do the Symantec Corporate AV. From
    > what i saw of Avast, I like it as well but i don't have a true feel
    > for the product yet.

    I've been trying out AntiVir, another free package. I like the way it
    works, ie the interface is simple, and you don't have to register. I don't
    know how good it is at catching viruses though, since I've not had one!

    /bill
    Bill, Jan 23, 2004
  8. On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:27:42 GMT, Bill <> wrote:

    >NoneOfBusiness wrote:
    >
    >> On 22 Jan 2004 04:44:38 GMT, donutbandit <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>NoneOfBusiness <> wrote in

    >>>How do you tell? You have to get a virus before you know whether the AV
    >>>program works. I doubt if any of the regulars in this NG ever gets a
    >>>virus.
    >>>
    >>>Virus avoidance is 99% about prevention to begin with. If you practice
    >>>safe browsing habits, your AV program is merely a safety net.
    >>>
    >>>I use AVG, and the only time I ever saw it go off was when I inserted a
    >>>very old floppy disk to see if it was any good. AVG immediately reported a
    >>>boot sector virus on the disk. I suspected it was a false alarm, but
    >>>I destroyed the disk anyway.

    >> I ALWAYS practice safe computing. I know from testing and
    >> troubleshooting others who had AVG how it was. I like AVG, but i don't
    >> place as much trust in it as i do the Symantec Corporate AV. From
    >> what i saw of Avast, I like it as well but i don't have a true feel
    >> for the product yet.

    >I've been trying out AntiVir, another free package. I like the way it
    >works, ie the interface is simple, and you don't have to register. I don't
    >know how good it is at catching viruses though, since I've not had one!
    >
    >/bill

    I guess i can get a few virii to see how it responds to them. Its
    worth a shot.
    NoneOfBusiness, Jan 24, 2004
  9. I tried both recently.
    I haven't had any viruses surface recently so I can't
    discuss that part. However, as far as the interface is
    concerned, Grisoft has Avast beat.

    I felt that Avast is very rough around the edges, not
    user-friendly. Grisoft has done an outstanding job in the
    usability and "look and feel" departments. In fact, I'd say
    that the program could be a model for software design. It is
    that good. Updates are frequent, slick, and fast. I think
    that Avast has some work to do to carch up with their Czech
    brethern in this regard, a very important one to me.

    Most programmers, alas, don't realize that there are real
    flesh and blood humans who use their creations. Grisoft has
    proven a good exception.

    I'm impressed.

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 25, 2004