    hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
    their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
    files btw, and avast says they're okay.

    Jim, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:55:49 -0000, "Jim" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have some files on my Win XP desktop, e.g. jpegs, text-files, mp3s etc.,
    >>and they seem okay, but I have a few pdf files as well, and for some
    >>reason,
    >>every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like it
    >>was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or anything,
    >>just
    >>hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
    >>their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
    >>files btw, and avast says they're okay.

    > What makes you think it's Avast?
    >
    > Simple test - disconnect computer from Internet.
    > Disable Avast.
    > Does the hourglass thing still happen?
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    Hmm! I just did as you suggested...'it still does it even why I click 'stop
    on-access protection'. Any ideas?

    Jim, Feb 23, 2010

  3. Jim

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > I have some files on my Win XP desktop, e.g. jpegs, text-files, mp3s etc.,
    > and they seem okay, but I have a few pdf files as well, and for some reason,
    > every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like it
    > was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or anything, just
    > hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
    > their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
    > files btw, and avast says they're okay.

    If left configured at its default, the Avast tray icon will spin when it is
    scanning. Is its tray icon spinning when you hover over the .pdf file?

    Maybe SysInternals' Filemon would tell you who is accessing that file?
    VanguardLH, Feb 23, 2010
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I have some files on my Win XP desktop, e.g. jpegs, text-files, mp3s
    >> etc.,
    >> and they seem okay, but I have a few pdf files as well, and for some
    >> reason,
    >> every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like it
    >> was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or anything,
    >> just
    >> hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
    >> their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
    >> files btw, and avast says they're okay.

    > If left configured at its default, the Avast tray icon will spin when it
    > is
    > scanning. Is its tray icon spinning when you hover over the .pdf file?
    >
    > Maybe SysInternals' Filemon would tell you who is accessing that file?

    The avast icon does indeed spin when I hover over the pdf with the mouse
    pointer.

    Jim, Feb 23, 2010
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:31:51 -0000, "Jim" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hmm! I just did as you suggested...'it still does it even why I click
    >>'stop
    >>on-access protection'. Any ideas?

    > Hit control-alt-delete, bring up the task manager. Click the processes
    > tab. Click the CPU column to sort by CPU (look at the highest), and
    > move the mouse then over the PDF files - keeping the Task Manager
    > running. Look for any process that seems to increase CPU usage. But
    > tough to say. Could even be something like a part of windows trying to
    > pull up a thumbnail. If you go to View, have you selected Thumbnails?
    > Try changing View to details? Oh wait, this is only on your desktop -
    > does it also happen if you're in a folder?
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    Nothing odd looking in task manager, strangely enough. I thought it would,
    but not so.

    It does the same thing when viewed in a folder (windows explorer).

    Jim, Feb 23, 2010
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Jordon" <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:31:51 -0000, "Jim"<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmm! I just did as you suggested...'it still does it even why I click
    >>> 'stop
    >>> on-access protection'. Any ideas?

    >> Hit control-alt-delete, bring up the task manager. Click the processes
    >> tab. Click the CPU column to sort by CPU (look at the highest), and
    >> move the mouse then over the PDF files - keeping the Task Manager
    >> running. Look for any process that seems to increase CPU usage. But
    >> tough to say. Could even be something like a part of windows trying to
    >> pull up a thumbnail. If you go to View, have you selected Thumbnails?
    >> Try changing View to details? Oh wait, this is only on your desktop -
    >> does it also happen if you're in a folder?

    > Damn... I spent a few minutes typing almost the exact same thing.
    >
    > To add...
    >
    > After you run task manager you may have to click on the desktop
    > to change the focus away from the task manager before hovering
    > your mouse over the icons.
    >
    > The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
    > stuff about..., well, What's Running.
    >
    > --
    > Jordon

    Thanks. I will install that asap.

    Jim, Feb 23, 2010
  7. Jim

    Jordon Guest

    Jordon, Feb 23, 2010
  8. Jordon wrote:

    > The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
    > stuff about..., well, What's Running.

    You probably meant: http://www.whatsrunning.net/

    ...or Andrew Aranoff's: http://www.silentrunners.org/

    ...but *not* PCButts' stolen "Whatslivern" (a plagiarized copy of
    Andrew's script).

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 23, 2010
  9. Jim

    Jordon Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jordon wrote:
    >
    >> The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
    >> stuff about..., well, What's Running.

    > You probably meant: http://www.whatsrunning.net/

    That's the one.

    > ..or Andrew Aranoff's: http://www.silentrunners.org/
    >
    > ..but *not* PCButts' stolen "Whatslivern" (a plagiarized copy of
    > Andrew's script).

    Whatslivern?!? What's a livern?

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Feb 23, 2010
  10. Jim

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote ...
    >
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like
    >>> it was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or
    >>> anything, just hover the pointer over the pdfs.

    >> If left configured at its default, the Avast tray icon will spin when it
    >> is scanning. Is its tray icon spinning when you hover over the .pdf
    >> file?

    > The avast icon does indeed spin when I hover over the pdf with the mouse
    > pointer.

    When I open Windows Explorer and navigate to a folder containing .pdf files,
    the Avast tray icon is not spinning when I move the mouse cursor over those
    files. It doesn't spin when I merely select a .pdf file. It only spins
    when I *open* the .pdf file. Of course, when I'm using Windows Explorer,
    the left pane shows the Folders pane, not the quick tasks lists which
    includes a Preview of the file (but only after it has been selected).

    However, I don't use Adobe's Reader for PDF files. Too much bloat, too many
    attacks, and to few features with that PDF reader. I use PDF-Xchange which
    is faster and lets me edit .pdf files, and I don't encounter the problem you
    mentioned. So perhaps it is some extra "feature" of Adobe Reader of opening
    a selected file to use it as the preview handler assuming you have the quick
    tasks view selected in Windows Explorer (i.e., no Explorer Bar is selected
    for display in the left pane). My bet is you use Adobe's Reader for PDF.

    You also seem to have some non-default setup with Windows Explorer or your
    mouse that automatically selects a file just because the mouse cursor
    hovered over it. Until the file gets selected, it won't be opened by
    whatever is the preview handler for that filetype.
    VanguardLH, Feb 23, 2010
  11. Jim

    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote ...

    >>> If left configured at its default, the Avast tray icon will spin when it
    >>> is scanning. Is its tray icon spinning when you hover over the .pdf
    >>> file?

    >> The avast icon does indeed spin when I hover over the pdf with the mouse
    >> pointer.

    > When I open Windows Explorer and navigate to a folder containing .pdf
    > files,
    > the Avast tray icon is not spinning when I move the mouse cursor over
    > those
    > files. It doesn't spin when I merely select a .pdf file. It only spins
    > when I *open* the .pdf file. Of course, when I'm using Windows Explorer,
    > the left pane shows the Folders pane, not the quick tasks lists which
    > includes a Preview of the file (but only after it has been selected).
    >
    > However, I don't use Adobe's Reader for PDF files. Too much bloat, too
    > many
    > attacks, and to few features with that PDF reader. I use PDF-Xchange
    > which
    > is faster and lets me edit .pdf files, and I don't encounter the problem
    > you
    > mentioned. So perhaps it is some extra "feature" of Adobe Reader of
    > opening
    > a selected file to use it as the preview handler assuming you have the
    > quick
    > tasks view selected in Windows Explorer (i.e., no Explorer Bar is selected
    > for display in the left pane). My bet is you use Adobe's Reader for PDF.
    >
    > You also seem to have some non-default setup with Windows Explorer or your
    > mouse that automatically selects a file just because the mouse cursor
    > hovered over it. Until the file gets selected, it won't be opened by
    > whatever is the preview handler for that filetype.

    You are correct, I do use the adobe reader to open pdf files, and I thought
    this was the only option for this type of file.

    Jim, Feb 23, 2010
  12. Jim

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jim wrote:

    >> However, I don't use Adobe's Reader for PDF files. I use PDF-Xchange

    > You are correct, I do use the adobe reader to open pdf files, and I thought
    > this was the only option for this type of file.

    I gave up on Adobe Reader. Too big. Didn't let me annotate the contents.
    Too slow. Obviously the biggest target for hacks and attacks. Besides
    PDF-Xchange, some folks like Foxit Reader (I trialed it a long time ago but
    went back to PDF-Xchange).
    VanguardLH, Feb 23, 2010
  13. Jim wrote:

    > You are correct, I do use the adobe reader to open pdf files, and I
    > thought this was the only option for this type of file.

    So they would like you to think. ;-)

    I advise all my Windows-using friends to use the FoxItReader. (There are
    many others.)

    If all you use is the Adobe Reader, uninstall it and save about, what?,
    90 megabytes, and get the free 5 megabytes FoxIt.

    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/reader-interstitial.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 23, 2010
  14. Jim

    softnfurry Guest

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Jordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
    >>> stuff about..., well, What's Running.

    >> You probably meant: http://www.whatsrunning.net/

    > That's the one.
    >
    >> ..or Andrew Aranoff's: http://www.silentrunners.org/
    >>
    >> ..but *not* PCButts' stolen "Whatslivern" (a plagiarized copy of
    >> Andrew's script).

    > Whatslivern?!? What's a livern?

    what something is before it becomes a deadern??
    softnfurry, Feb 23, 2010
  15. Try my Explorer Shell Fix tool. Download it here http://www.ms-mvp.org/

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Feb 23, 2010