    Please note that this is a "kernel" update and not just a simple virus
    definitions update.

    Carlos
    Carlos, May 14, 2008

  2. Carlos

    xiowan Guest

    Hello "Carlos":
    I've been using AVG Free Anti-virus for several years and it came out
    with a new improved version that seems to make my 2 Vista 64 pc's and 1 XP
    MCE2005 go crazy when I tried to scan the drives for viruses........100% cpu
    usage within seconds! It used to run about 14% with other applications
    running! I've gotten rid of them and gone back to AVG 7.5 but that will no
    longer be available after the end of the year so I'm looking for a simple
    anti-virus program to go along with Windows Defender. I've used McAffee and
    Norton over the years and don't care the invasiveness and computer resource
    hogging. Do you use avast on your pc and do you like it? I'm no computer
    whiz and I hate programs that ask me what to do with each thing they find; I
    generally have no idea!

    xiowan.........in tucson

    xiowan, May 15, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I've been using Avast for about two years.
    It is not a resource hog and it is hard to notice that it is even there.
    I always install it with the defaults and it is a "set and forget" thing.
    Does it job quite nicely.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 15, 2008
  4. I find it less intrusive than AVG as well.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 15, 2008
  5. Carlos

    xiowan Guest

    Hello "Carlos":
    Thanks for the input......I'm glad to hear that I can replace AVG Free
    with something not too complicated! I think I'll try it first on my XP Media
    Center 2005 pc and then if I have no problems I'll switch over the two Vista
    pcs later. Thanks to your post I don't even have to look up the download
    site!

    xiowan.........in tucson

    xiowan, May 15, 2008
  6. Carlos

    xiowan Guest

    Hello "Colin Barnhorst":
    Thanks for the reply. It's always reassuring to learn that an
    application is being used and liked by folks like you and Carlos who post so
    many helpful answers in the newsgroups!

    xiowan.........in tucson

    xiowan, May 15, 2008