    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 20,687 Americans wounded.
    As of October 20, 2006 it has been 1266 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished."
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 20, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    Gordon Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:

    > How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
    >
    > Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

    It's been reported lately with several false positives....notably on some MS
    pages ;-)

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    to email me invalidate the invalid!
    Gordon, Oct 20, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck wrote:

    > How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?

    As well as any other. Not all a-v programs catch everything, not even
    the pay-for resource hogs.

    Avast looks for updates every four hours if you are online like me with
    a cable connection, and the update downloads are the absolute smallest
    in the industry. There were two today, each around 12 Kilobytes.

    > Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

    Download the "free for home use" version. It remains free, though they
    request you re-register it every fourteen months. That's a simple matter
    of going back to their web page, filling in your info, and getting a new
    key via email in a few minutes. You copy'n'paste this key into the
    program.

    It's a funky looking application. <g> but there are skins available.

    I like "Lite-On" or "Flat'n'Simple".

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 20, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Thank you. That is the information I was looking for.

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:11:01 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >
    >> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?

    >As well as any other. Not all a-v programs catch everything, not even
    >the pay-for resource hogs.
    >
    >Avast looks for updates every four hours if you are online like me with
    >a cable connection, and the update downloads are the absolute smallest
    >in the industry. There were two today, each around 12 Kilobytes.
    >
    >> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

    >Download the "free for home use" version. It remains free, though they
    >request you re-register it every fourteen months. That's a simple matter
    >of going back to their web page, filling in your info, and getting a new
    >key via email in a few minutes. You copy'n'paste this key into the
    >program.

    >It's a funky looking application. <g> but there are skins available.
    >
    >I like "Lite-On" or "Flat'n'Simple".

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~
    Americans killed in Iraq as of October 19, 2006 is 2787. United Kingdom = 119 Other = 118.
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 21, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:06:06 +0100, Gordon
    <> wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >
    >> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
    >>
    >> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

    >It's been reported lately with several false positives....notably on some MS
    >pages ;-)

    Thanks Gordon. I will be on the lookout for them and others like them.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 21, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck

    ProfGene Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
    >
    > Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

    It becomes very annoying after the trial period is over.
    ProfGene, Oct 22, 2006
  7. ProfGene wrote:

    > GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
    >>
    >> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

    > It becomes very annoying after the trial period is over.

    Prof, did you read my post? You register it for fourteen months, and it
    doesn't annoy you at all. It is not a trial, it is free.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2006