    rides on top of IE.

    Thoughts?

    Winged
    winged, Feb 3, 2005

  2. winged wrote:

    > I have been looking at various browsers. I was looking at secunia
    > looking at the various browsers and their history of exploits and
    > current patch levels/fixes.
    > http://secunia.com/product/4108/
    >
    > One of the browsers I was looking at was the AVANT browser which appears
    > to be built on top of the IE core.
    >
    > Does this browser have all of the exploits of IE? Their stats for AVANT
    > indicate the only known vulnerability has been page spoofing for the
    > last 2 major version changes. I find this very hard to believe when it
    > rides on top of IE.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Winged

    I guess the question is how much of the "core" of IE did they incorporate
    into their product. Really when you think about it, I could say the core is
    everything except the damn graphical buttons. How clear are they about the
    term "core"?

    On a personal note, I am not a windows user. However, when I am forced to
    use windows I use firefox. I stay the hell away from IE....but that is just
    me.

    Michael
    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 3, 2005

  3. winged

    SteveB Guest

    I use Firefox in preference to Avant which I used for about a year with no
    problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
    options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
    miles better than IE.

    SteveB, Feb 3, 2005
  4. winged

    Robin T Cox Guest

    winged <> wrote in

    > I have been looking at various browsers. I was looking at secunia
    > looking at the various browsers and their history of exploits and
    > current patch levels/fixes.
    > http://secunia.com/product/4108/
    >
    > One of the browsers I was looking at was the AVANT browser which appears
    > to be built on top of the IE core.
    >
    > Does this browser have all of the exploits of IE? Their stats for AVANT
    > indicate the only known vulnerability has been page spoofing for the
    > last 2 major version changes. I find this very hard to believe when it
    > rides on top of IE.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Winged

    Beware. For example -

    <quote>
    Does Avant support the new features of the Windows XP SP2 security update?

    Yes & no. Out of the box, Avant does not recognize the SP2 update features.
    However there are two methods to get around this:
    1. Rename the Avant Browser executible in the Avant Browser program
    directory from avant.exe to iexplore.exe Or...
    2. There is also a simple registry tweak that can be made. See here for
    details and DrDrrae has posted a .reg file to do this automatically.
    </quote>

    (from the Avant FAQ, as posted on the Avant Forums:
    http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?t=8529)
    Robin T Cox, Feb 3, 2005
  5. winged

    winged Guest

    I have done more testing but obviously I need to perform more, but the
    odd thing I have found so far is that AVANT "appears" to be immune to
    "some" of the unpatched exploits I have found for IE.

    Yes I am a firefox fan too. My problem with Firefox is it is difficult
    to manage in a network environment. It is difficult to lock down and
    controlling what plug-ins one chooses to allow users to use is
    difficult. Firefox is the other leader of my testing candidates.

    Avant "appears" to be much easier to manage using MS SMS. Locking
    allowed plug-ins fairly simple.

    I am evaluating these alternatives specifically to provide a browsing
    solution that is secure and reduces maintenance issues. With IE having
    serious security issues now for some months that remain unpatched, I
    have grown weary having to have valuable help desk personnel removing
    the spyware crud from machines. I am seeing way too many incidents (1
    is too many in my environment) of drive by shootings that use IE
    exploits to install crud on our users desktops. Additionally some of
    the spyware is getting very sophisticated in their communications and is
    getting very difficult to detect, block and prohibit. I takes way too
    much time figuring out how to prevent future infections. I need my time
    looking for real black hats and not spend my time figuring out the
    current insertion points that some bright boy has conceived.

    My evaluation model, evaluation weight is on security more than features.

    IE has 20 unpatched with highest vulnerabilities rated highly critical
    (meaning the system can be compromised from a web page)

    Firefox has 5 unpatched vulnerabilities with highest vulnerability
    rated moderately critical (browser is susceptible to hijack)

    Avant has 1 unpatched vulnerability (same vulnerability in last 2
    versions). The vulnerability is site spoofing and other candidates have
    same reported vulnerability.

    Firefoxes block mechanisms are easy to use from a central management
    perspective (ie registry entries) and users can choose their own
    additions (easy) above and beyond what the gods have already chosen to
    block.

    While I prefer firefox personally, and never had a problem, I have to
    use security and management capabilities as my guide for business use.

    The only two issues I have found with avant is it always sets itself as
    default browser irrespective of checking no when asked. The second
    issue is it is closed source and may only be around as long as the
    author writes for it. Firefox has major advantage of being open source
    and modifiable for the foreseeable future.

    I am looking for feedback on security issues with Avant product that I
    am unaware of. As of yet I have yet to find an exploit that mirrors
    those in IE.

    Winged

    winged, Feb 4, 2005
  6. winged wrote:

    > I have done more testing but obviously I need to perform more, but the
    > odd thing I have found so far is that AVANT "appears" to be immune to
    > "some" of the unpatched exploits I have found for IE.
    >
    > Yes I am a firefox fan too. My problem with Firefox is it is difficult
    > to manage in a network environment. It is difficult to lock down and
    > controlling what plug-ins one chooses to allow users to use is
    > difficult. Firefox is the other leader of my testing candidates.
    >
    > Avant "appears" to be much easier to manage using MS SMS. Locking
    > allowed plug-ins fairly simple.
    >
    > I am evaluating these alternatives specifically to provide a browsing
    > solution that is secure and reduces maintenance issues. With IE having
    > serious security issues now for some months that remain unpatched, I
    > have grown weary having to have valuable help desk personnel removing
    > the spyware crud from machines. I am seeing way too many incidents (1
    > is too many in my environment) of drive by shootings that use IE
    > exploits to install crud on our users desktops. Additionally some of
    > the spyware is getting very sophisticated in their communications and is
    > getting very difficult to detect, block and prohibit. I takes way too
    > much time figuring out how to prevent future infections. I need my time
    > looking for real black hats and not spend my time figuring out the
    > current insertion points that some bright boy has conceived.
    >
    > My evaluation model, evaluation weight is on security more than features.
    >
    > IE has 20 unpatched with highest vulnerabilities rated highly critical
    > (meaning the system can be compromised from a web page)
    >
    > Firefox has 5 unpatched vulnerabilities with highest vulnerability
    > rated moderately critical (browser is susceptible to hijack)
    >
    > Avant has 1 unpatched vulnerability (same vulnerability in last 2
    > versions). The vulnerability is site spoofing and other candidates have
    > same reported vulnerability.
    >
    > Firefoxes block mechanisms are easy to use from a central management
    > perspective (ie registry entries) and users can choose their own
    > additions (easy) above and beyond what the gods have already chosen to
    > block.
    >
    > While I prefer firefox personally, and never had a problem, I have to
    > use security and management capabilities as my guide for business use.
    >
    > The only two issues I have found with avant is it always sets itself as
    > default browser irrespective of checking no when asked. The second
    > issue is it is closed source and may only be around as long as the
    > author writes for it. Firefox has major advantage of being open source
    > and modifiable for the foreseeable future.
    >
    > I am looking for feedback on security issues with Avant product that I
    > am unaware of. As of yet I have yet to find an exploit that mirrors
    > those in IE.

    Ah...but does anything mirror IE when it comes to exploits?

    ;-)
    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005
  7. winged wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Winged
    >

    > SteveB wrote:
    >> I use Firefox in preference to Avant which I used for about a year with
    >> no
    >> problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
    >> options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
    >> miles better than IE.
    >>

    >> "Michael J. Pelletier" <> wrote in message

    >>>I guess the question is how much of the "core" of IE did they incorporate
    >>>into their product. Really when you think about it, I could say the core
    >>>is
    >>>everything except the damn graphical buttons. How clear are they about
    >>>the term "core"?
    >>>
    >>>On a personal note, I am not a windows user. However, when I am forced to
    >>>use windows I use firefox. I stay the hell away from IE....but that is

    You might want to hold off on making a desion as Firefox announced that they
    were releasing version 2 soon. Some of the features were to address exactly
    what you have said. User and Patch management! Check out the article....

    From:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1817&e=10&u=/nf/20050201/tc_nf/30135&sid=96120760

    Firefox also will need centralized management to conquer the corporate
    space, said Craig Roth, Meta Group analyst.

    "If you have 10,000 desktops, you're going to want a centralized way to
    deploy patches," he told NewsFactor. "No one will run around with a disk
    just because they like Firefox."

    Michael
    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005
  8. winged

    winged Guest

    Michael J. Pelletier wrote:
> [...]
    >>>problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
    >>>options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
    >>>miles better than IE.
    >>>

    >>>"Michael J. Pelletier" <> wrote in message

    > You might want to hold off on making a desion as Firefox announced that they
    > were releasing version 2 soon. Some of the features were to address exactly
    > what you have said. User and Patch management! Check out the article....
    >
    > From:
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1817&e=10&u=/nf/20050201/tc_nf/30135&sid=96120760
    >
    > Firefox also will need centralized management to conquer the corporate
    > space, said Craig Roth, Meta Group analyst.
    >
    > "If you have 10,000 desktops, you're going to want a centralized way to
    > deploy patches," he told NewsFactor. "No one will run around with a disk

    Thanks, article provided useful information.
    Winged
    winged, Feb 4, 2005
  9. winged wrote:

> [...]
    >>>am unaware of. As of yet I have yet to find an exploit that mirrors
    >>>those in IE.
    >>>
    >>>Winged

    >> You might want to hold off on making a desion as Firefox announced that
    >> they were releasing version 2 soon. Some of the features were to address
    >> exactly what you have said. User and Patch management! Check out the
    >> article....

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1817&e=10&u=/nf/20050201/tc_nf/30135&sid=96120760

    >> Firefox also will need centralized management to conquer the corporate
    >> space, said Craig Roth, Meta Group analyst.
    >>
    >> "If you have 10,000 desktops, you're going to want a centralized way to
    >> deploy patches," he told NewsFactor. "No one will run around with a disk
    >> just because they like Firefox."
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Thanks, article provided useful information.

    Sure anytime....

    Michael
    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005
  10. winged

    Dave Baker Guest

    >>>The only two issues I have found with avant is it always sets itself as
    >>>default browser irrespective of checking no when asked. The second
    >>>issue is it is closed source and may only be around as long as the
    >>>author writes for it. Firefox has major advantage of being open source
    >>>and modifiable for the foreseeable future.
    >>>
    >>>I am looking for feedback on security issues with Avant product that I
    >>>am unaware of.

    I've used Avant for ages now. No security issues that I have found, but a lot
    of incompatibilities with websites. Not enough for me to stop using it, but
    enough to need a copy of IE on hand.

    Yesterday I was trying to order some software from a website & couldn't for
    the life of me figure out how to add items to the shopping cart. Fired up IE
    & it showed the page quite differently, with 2 "Add to cart" buttons staring
    me in the face - not visible at all in Avant.

    Dave

    The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
    All replies to the group please.
    Dave Baker, Feb 5, 2005
  11. winged

    SteveB Guest

    "Dave Baker" <> wrote in message
    > I've used Avant for ages now. No security issues that I have found, but a
    > lot
    > of incompatibilities with websites. Not enough for me to stop using it,
    > but
    > enough to need a copy of IE on hand.
    >
    > Yesterday I was trying to order some software from a website & couldn't
    > for
    > the life of me figure out how to add items to the shopping cart. Fired up
    > IE
    > & it showed the page quite differently, with 2 "Add to cart" buttons
    > staring
    > me in the face - not visible at all in Avant.
    >
    > Dave

    Have you got ActiveX or scripts disabled?
    SteveB, Feb 5, 2005
  12. winged

    Dave Baker Guest

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:00:31 -0000, "SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

    >Have you got ActiveX or scripts disabled?

    I've tried with & without & all combinations I can think of, but some things
    just don't work. The Avant forum has some others reporting similar problems -
    I guess they will get fixed sometime.

    Dave Baker, Feb 5, 2005