    I'd rather not pay a $250 premium to buy one gray market on Ebay if I can
    get one in time from a reputable mail order store.

    -Jonathan
    Pond Scum, Jun 18, 2006

  2. Pond Scum

    Charles Guest

    On 18 Jun 2006 07:34:59 GMT, (Pond Scum) wrote:

    >All of the reputable mail order stores are out of stock. Anyone know when
    >these are expected in? I have a need for a lens in that range by July 6th.
    >I'd rather not pay a $250 premium to buy one gray market on Ebay if I can
    >get one in time from a reputable mail order store.
    >
    >-Jonathan

    http://products.ivillage.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=15095158&

    two places claim to have it. I know nothing about either one, might
    be worth a check.
    Charles, Jun 18, 2006

  3. Pond Scum

    J. Clarke Guest

    Pond Scum wrote:

    > All of the reputable mail order stores are out of stock. Anyone know when
    > these are expected in? I have a need for a lens in that range by July
    > 6th. I'd rather not pay a $250 premium to buy one gray market on Ebay if I
    > can get one in time from a reputable mail order store.

    No guarantee that you'll get it by then. Check B&H every day and if between
    now and then it shows available, grab it, when they get some in they are
    usually gone in a few hours. Others let you order in advance but you'll
    get it after all earlier orders are filled, which means that getting it in
    the next two weeks is unlikely.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Pond Scum

    Dave Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    >Pond Scum wrote:
    >

    >> All of the reputable mail order stores are out of stock. Anyone know when
    >> these are expected in? I have a need for a lens in that range by July
    >> 6th. I'd rather not pay a $250 premium to buy one gray market on Ebay if I
    >> can get one in time from a reputable mail order store.

    >No guarantee that you'll get it by then. Check B&H every day and if between
    >now and then it shows available, grab it, when they get some in they are
    >usually gone in a few hours. Others let you order in advance but you'll
    >get it after all earlier orders are filled, which means that getting it in
    >the next two weeks is unlikely.
    >
    >> -Jonathan

    Why don't you just get on a waiting list. In April I decided I would get the
    18-200 to take to Europe, great walking around lens, instead of my 17-35/2.8,
    35-70/2.8 and my 70-200/2.8. The 18-200 weighs 1/5 what those lenses do. I
    went to Samy's Camera here in LA and they didn't have it in stock. Goton their
    list and got it within a week when the next shipment came in. I cold have also
    done the same thing with Calumet or BH or Roberts. If yo just wait until
    astore has them, you are constantly behgind those that have already ordered.

    Dave Nelson
    Dave, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Pond Scum

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <3qdlg.9$P%>,
    Dave <> wrote:

    > Why don't you just get on a waiting list. In April I decided I would get the
    > 18-200 to take to Europe, great walking around lens, instead of my 17-35/2.8,
    > 35-70/2.8 and my 70-200/2.8. The 18-200 weighs 1/5 what those lenses do. I
    > went to Samy's Camera here in LA and they didn't have it in stock. Goton
    > their
    > list and got it within a week when the next shipment came in. I cold have
    > also
    > done the same thing with Calumet or BH or Roberts. If yo just wait until
    > astore has them, you are constantly behgind those that have already ordered.

    I tried for many weeks to find someplace with it in stock and finally gave
    up and did what Dave suggests -- I placed an order (with Adorama).

    A few weeks later, my local dealer called to say he had gotten one in
    stock, and did I still want it? It was a little more money, but I saved
    part of that on shipping, and more importantly, I had it in my grubby
    little hands that afternoon. And it certainly doesn't hurt to support my
    local merchant.

    Then I dropped Adorama an email cancelling my order. I'm sure it was no
    major hardship for them, since they've probably got a line of people
    waiting to make my place in the order queue. If, by some stroke of luck,
    Adorama had already processed my order, I figure I would have probably just
    flipped the extra one on eBay and made some money on the deal from somebody
    who was willing to pay a premium so they wouldn't have to wait.
    Roy Smith, Jun 18, 2006
  6. Pond Scum

    J. Clarke Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    >>

    >>Pond Scum wrote:
    >>

    >>> All of the reputable mail order stores are out of stock. Anyone know
    >>> when
    >>> these are expected in? I have a need for a lens in that range by July
    >>> 6th. I'd rather not pay a $250 premium to buy one gray market on Ebay if
    >>> I can get one in time from a reputable mail order store.

    >>No guarantee that you'll get it by then. Check B&H every day and if
    >>between now and then it shows available, grab it, when they get some in
    >>they are
    >>usually gone in a few hours. Others let you order in advance but you'll
    >>get it after all earlier orders are filled, which means that getting it in
    >>the next two weeks is unlikely.
    >>
    >>> -Jonathan

    > Why don't you just get on a waiting list.

    He needs it in the next 12 days. A waiting list isn't going to get him
    there unless he's damned all lucky.

    > In April I decided I would get
    > the 18-200 to take to Europe, great walking around lens, instead of my
    > 17-35/2.8, 35-70/2.8 and my 70-200/2.8. The 18-200 weighs 1/5 what those
    > lenses do. I went to Samy's Camera here in LA and they didn't have it in
    > stock. Goton their list and got it within a week when the next shipment
    > came in. I cold have also done the same thing with Calumet or BH or
    > Roberts. If yo just wait until astore has them, you are constantly behgind
    > those that have already ordered.

    That is true for most stores. If B&H gets stock on that lens it's first
    come first served on orders placed _after_ they put it up on their Web
    site.

    J. Clarke, Jun 18, 2006
  7. Pond Scum

    Guest

    Roy Smith wrote:
    > In article <3qdlg.9$P%>,
    > Dave <> wrote:
    >

    > > Why don't you just get on a waiting list. In April I decided I would get the
    > > 18-200 to take to Europe, great walking around lens, instead of my 17-35/2.8,
    > > 35-70/2.8 and my 70-200/2.8. The 18-200 weighs 1/5 what those lenses do. I
    > > went to Samy's Camera here in LA and they didn't have it in stock. Goton
    > > their
    > > list and got it within a week when the next shipment came in. I cold have
    > > also
    > > done the same thing with Calumet or BH or Roberts. If yo just wait until
    > > astore has them, you are constantly behgind those that have already ordered.

    > I tried for many weeks to find someplace with it in stock and finally gave
    > up and did what Dave suggests -- I placed an order (with Adorama).
    >
    > A few weeks later, my local dealer called to say he had gotten one in
    > stock, and did I still want it? It was a little more money, but I saved
    > part of that on shipping, and more importantly, I had it in my grubby
    > little hands that afternoon. And it certainly doesn't hurt to support my
    > local merchant.
    >
    > Then I dropped Adorama an email cancelling my order. I'm sure it was no
    > major hardship for them, since they've probably got a line of people
    > waiting to make my place in the order queue. If, by some stroke of luck,
    > Adorama had already processed my order, I figure I would have probably just
    > flipped the extra one on eBay and made some money on the deal from somebody
    > who was willing to pay a premium so they wouldn't have to wait.

    Not to get too far afield here, but I've been reading some pretty
    disappointing reviews on this glass. Many say there are workmanship
    defects, lots of slippage at the long end, etc. Have you, or anyone
    else with this lens, experienced this? Any pics you'd care to post?
    , Jun 18, 2006
  8. Pond Scum

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Not to get too far afield here, but I've been reading some pretty
    > disappointing reviews on this glass. Many say there are workmanship
    > defects, lots of slippage at the long end, etc. Have you, or anyone
    > else with this lens, experienced this? Any pics you'd care to post?

    I'm far from an expert in lens evaluation, but so far I'm happy with it.
    But, I'm just starting on the road to really learning how to us it and the
    camera it's attached to.
    Roy Smith, Jun 19, 2006
  9. Pond Scum

    Dave Guest

    I have been very happy with quality ofthe images. While it is as good as my
    17-35 or 70-200, it is very good. There is some barrel and pincushion
    distortion, which you would expect of a zoom of this length. IT makes a great
    walking around lens. The VR is great. We were in the Netherlands for 2 weeks
    and visited a few museums and it was great for taking photos in the dimmer
    light. 1/8 and 1/4 second wasn't out of the possibility.

    I only got the lens 1 week before we left. Just enough time to testit and get
    familiar with it. It made walking aroud much easier that carrying my normal 3
    lenses. I even got to shoot a local bicycle race. I shot many races back here
    in the States. I was a little worried about the focusing with the 5.6
    aperature. Even on the over cast part of the day, it handled it fine on my
    D2x. I like my 70-200 better because I can shoot at wider aperatures.

    The problem started on the last day, whenthe VR unit started malfunctioning.
    It would start bouncing the image in the view finder up and down. It would
    only do this occasionally. When I got home, I took the lens into the Nikon
    Repair Facility in El Segundo. I had the lens back in 5 days. The replaced
    the VR unit and focusing unit and all seems well now. Though I haven't had
    any time to really spend a day photographong and event. Just a few
    random pictures here and there.

    I does concern me that it failed so quickly. I've used Nikon equipement since
    the late 70's and this is the first time I've really had a failure.

    Dave

    In article <>,
    says...

    Dave, Jun 20, 2006
  10. Pond Scum

    Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > I does concern me that it failed so quickly. I've used Nikon equipement since
    > the late 70's and this is the first time I've really had a failure.

    I haven't read this specific complaint, however, there seems to be a
    general "red flag" up on this lens. Lots of folks at Nikonians seem to
    have had an array of manufacturers defects. I must say, that I am also
    _relatively_ disappointed with the ultra-soft 24-120 lens, as well.
    It's not that bad, but definitely overpriced at close to $600. On the
    flip side, I am very happy with my 80-200 AF-D. At any rate, I'd like
    to see some pics, if you have them posted...

    , Jun 20, 2006