    Anyone know when they will be available at reasonable prices (at or
    below MSRP)?

    Thanks
    Anthony, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Anthony wrote:
    > I want to buy the Nikon D80 together with the new 18-200mm VR lens, but
    > they both seem hard to find (or overpriced), especially the lens.
    > Anyone know when they will be available at reasonable prices (at or
    > below MSRP)?
    >
    > Thanks

    I see the price to be:

    * Nikon D80 (Body ONLY) ~$630
    * 18-200mm VR Lense ~ $680

    What are you expecting it to be? I got my D50 just over a year ago for
    $630 (it had already been in the market about 2 years and the D70 and
    the D70s were much popular) and now seem to be able to find it (body
    ONLY) for about $530 ~ $550.

    If I had to take a stab, I'd say in about 2 ~ 3 years the D80 might be
    available for ~ $450 (body ONLY). I seriously doubt the lense will come
    down much (if any at all).

    HTH.

    - manzoor
    Manzoorul Hassan, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Anthony

    [BnH] Guest

    Where are you ?
    In Asia the stock are plenty for both item.

    [BnH], Oct 16, 2006
  4. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Where did you find these prices? I want to order a couple from each!
    Seriously, whereever I looked, the D80 is priced for $1000 and the lens
    for $750 - 800, not to mention the fact that I have yet to find a store
    that actualy has the lens in stock.

    Anthony, Oct 16, 2006
  5. Anthony

    bwoag Guest

    Nikon dSLRs have resisted discounting until the manufacturer lowers the
    price. The D80 is brand new but not difficult to obtain from reputable
    vendors. Nikon lenses are never really discounted and they are often very
    high priced compared to other manufacturers and not always of a quality to
    justify that price. Nikon runs a rebate sale once or twice a year but rarely
    includes lenses that are in high demand like the 18-200. The latter lens is
    not that hard to find either, from reputable vendors, if you search. If you
    are going to be put off by a $20-30 difference in price so be it. If you
    want an 18-200 and can live without the VR check out the Sigma and Tamron as
    optically there is no significant difference and whatever there is can
    easily be corrected in Photoshop (slightly less but still alot of barrel
    distortion at 18mm for the Nikon).
    bwoag, Oct 16, 2006
  6. Anthony wrote:
    > Where did you find these prices? I want to order a couple from each!
    > Seriously, whereever I looked, the D80 is priced for $1000 and the lens
    > for $750 - 800, not to mention the fact that I have yet to find a store
    > that actualy has the lens in stock.
    >
    > > I see the price to be:
    > >
    > > * Nikon D80 (Body ONLY) ~$630
    > > * 18-200mm VR Lense ~ $680
    > >
    > > What are you expecting it to be? I got my D50 just over a year ago for
    > > $630 (it had already been in the market about 2 years and the D70 and
    > > the D70s were much popular) and now seem to be able to find it (body
    > > ONLY) for about $530 ~ $550.

    Nikon D80
    * http://www.royalcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $569
    * http://www.bananaboatcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $529

    18-200mm Nikkor VR Lens
    * http://www.digitaletc.com/item.php?ref=fr&productid=5923 - $689

    The lens is out of stock, but the camera is readily available.

    - manzoor
    Manzoorul Hassan, Oct 16, 2006
  7. Anthony

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Oct 16, 2006
  8. Anthony

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 16 Oct 2006, Manzoorul Hassan <> wrote:

    >Nikon D80
    > * http://www.royalcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $569
    > * http://www.bananaboatcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $529

    That is the same place. A well known bait-and-stuff outfit in Brooklyn. You
    won't get those prices unless you also buy grossly overpriced accessories.

    >18-200mm Nikkor VR Lens
    > * http://www.digitaletc.com/item.php?ref=fr&productid=5923 - $689

    Another Brooklyn place, one of the few that seems to be okay. You can find
    their rating here: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1061.html

    Don Wiss, Oct 17, 2006
  9. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    I googled "Royal Camera"...Well, I never saw the word "scam" so many
    times in one search result.

    Just read these:
    http://snipurl.com/z7cw
    http://snipurl.com/z7em

    Anthony, Oct 17, 2006
  10. Anthony

    Doug Robbins Guest

    A person would have to be seriously brain-damaged to buy anything from Royal
    Camera.

    Doug Robbins, Oct 18, 2006
  11. Anthony

    ASAAR Guest

    On 16 Oct 2006 15:33:21 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > "Manzoorul Hassan" <> writes:
    >> Nikon D80
    >> * http://www.royalcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $569
    >> * http://www.bananaboatcamera.com/nikon-d80.html - $529
    >> The lens is out of stock, but the camera is readily available.

    > You've got to be kidding. Those links look like scam city.

    The latest Popular Photography & Imaging has an editorial
    (multi-page article, actually, titled Gray's Anatomy) that goes into
    the pros and cons of gray market photo gear, along with one specific
    example of someone that purchased a couple of Sigma lenses (24-70mm
    f/2.8 DG Macro and 70-200mm f/2.8 APO HSM DG). No indication was
    given that these were gray market lenses, but what's worse, to keep
    Sigma from tracking the source of the lenses, the serial numbers
    were removed from the lenses and replaced with invalid numbers.
    This left the buyer without Sigma's 4 year warranty, which he
    noticed immediately since the warranty cards had been removed from
    the box. These lenses were purchased from Royal Camera.
    ASAAR, Oct 18, 2006