    second response is especially hare to believe. That said, maybe I don't need
    64-bit? My main use is running a home grown, single thread chess-like program
    and the faster I can get it to run the better it plays!

    =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=, Feb 20, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    1. the price for the OS is the same
    2. it runs on both AMD and Intel 64 bit processors

    You were probably talking to a very low level outsourced sales
    person.

    I haven't seen any 64 bit laptops yet with pre-installed x64 Vista,
    but I think they will be available within the next few months.

    I'm using an Acer Ferrari 5000 with x64 Ultimate and it's the best
    laptop experience I've ever had. I also have a Ferrari 4000 that
    runs x64 just fine.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 20, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=

    BSchnur Guest

    Yes it is mostly smoke.

    But first off, specifically what motivates you for the 64 bit version?
    Not saying it isn't a good idea, just trying to get a handle on why you
    want it.

    Charlie Russel (one of the MVP's here) runs Vista 64 on his notebook of
    choice (Acer Ferrari).

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 20, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=

    Jane C Guest

    The first excuse that 64 bit is too expensive is wrong. The cost is the
    same for both x86 and x64. Most modern motherboards and other internal
    components are 64 bit capable.

    Excuse number 2 is poppycock. Intel processors are now mostly 64 bit too.
    The Core 2 Duos are all 64 bit.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Feb 20, 2007
  5. I just figure if I compile my program using VS .NET into 64 bit then that
    might buy me a little extra speed given that I should then be taking full
    advantage of the processor. If I can squeeze an extra 10% performance this
    way, say, then it is probably worth it for me.

    Maybe I can turn the question around, if I may? Under what conditions would
    I surely want to go 64 bit? And similarly, what situations might suggest
    staying with 32?

    It so so frustrating trying to get information from the vendors these days,
    especially as implied in the previous post, with all the outsourcing to
    people who clearly are not well informed.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=, Feb 20, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=

    BSchnur Guest

    Well, if you had a notebook (or desktop) which support more than 4G of
    RAM, then you would definitely want 64 bit Vista.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 20, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=

    mikeyhsd Guest

    you are aware I hope that Vista has a CHESS program game included.

    @sport.rr.com

    mikeyhsd, Feb 21, 2007
  8. Interesting. I didn't know that. But my game is not chess. It plays a game
    called Amazons and any performance improvements I can get will increase
    (maybe ever so slightly) my chances of beating the competition. :)

    =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=, Feb 21, 2007
  9. So reading between the lines here, I sense you feel 64-bit probably won't
    really buy me much if I'm running with, say 2G of mem.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=, Feb 21, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > So reading between the lines here, I sense you feel 64-bit probably won't
    > really buy me much if I'm running with, say 2G of mem.

    Not so much in terms of performance, perhaps (depending on your use)
    something in terms of security and (once driver issues are dealt with)
    stability.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 21, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?cmpsNTM=?=

    Guest Guest

    HP has both an AMD model out and an Intel model on the market. It is the
    DV9000 series. I purchased the DV9225US with an AMD processor at Comp USA
    two weeks ago and things have gone relatively smooth for me getting all of
    my programs to run. The thing is FAST!

    There was also a model in the DV9000 series I saw at Best Buy that offered
    the 64bit O/S using and Intel processor. The price was about $600.00 more!

    Guest, Feb 28, 2007