    and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
    there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
    consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

    Mellowed, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Mellowed

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Mellowed said:

    > My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
    > cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
    > opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
    > and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
    > there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
    > consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

    AVG is good, eTrust is gooderer.
    I don't know if it is still available, but eTrust had a promo offering a free,
    fully functional AV, which, although it was aimed at 2003 server, works for 2000
    and XP too.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Mellowed

    Flying Rat Guest

    Mellowed said this...

    > My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
    > cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
    > opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
    > and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
    > there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
    > consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

    or my favourite www.free-av.com which has caught 150 viruses in the last
    month

    FR
    --
    Are we havin' fun yet?

    www.flyingrat.net

    Flying Rat, Dec 23, 2003
  4. "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > Mellowed said:
    >
    > > My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
    > > cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
    > > opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
    > > and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
    > > there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
    > > consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

    > AVG is good, eTrust is gooderer.
    > I don't know if it is still available, but eTrust had a promo offering a

    free,
    > fully functional AV, which, although it was aimed at 2003 server, works

    for 2000
    > and XP too.

    Which is here:
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Box

    Boxington Headmaker, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    This is interesting. Never heard of AntiVir. I can't argue about the
    price. I'll download, try it, then if necessary try ETRUST and AVG in
    that order.

    Thanks,

    "Flying Rat" <> wrote in message
    : Mellowed said this...
    : >
    : > My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
    : > cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
    : > opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the
    AVG
    : > and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
    : > there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I
    should
    : > consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?
    :
    :
    : or my favourite www.free-av.com which has caught 150 viruses in the
    last
    : month
    :
    : FR
    : --
    : Are we havin' fun yet?
    :
    : www.flyingrat.net

    Mellowed, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Mellowed

    °Mike° Guest

    AnitVir is crap. It has *the* worst false positive rate of any
    AV product that I have tested -- and it's detection rate stinks,
    too.

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:32:40 -0800, in
    <>
    Mellowed scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Mellowed

    °Mike° Guest

    AVG sucks. These are my top three recommendations.

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:36:26 -0800, in
    <>
    Mellowed scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Mellowed

    Nottoman Guest

    Seriously, price should not be your top concern when evaluating an AV
    program. The dollar amount of damage due to lost time and/or hardware is
    high enough to warrant a $25 purchase.

    ETrust is the way to go. Grab the free yearly subscription mentioned above
    and you'll never regret it.

    Nottoman, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Mellowed

    Neighbor Guest

    A renewal for my Norton av software is even a lot more expensive: 55 euro or
    more. Therefore I downloaded Antivir, which "Computer!Totaal" states to be a
    free and good av program. It can be downloaded from www.free-aqv.com . I'll
    give it a trial.
    Neighbor

    Neighbor, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Mellowed

    Neighbor Guest

    Excuse me, I made a mistake! Download from: www.free-av.com.

    Neighbor, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    Thanks for the input Mike.

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : AnitVir is crap. It has *the* worst false positive rate of any
    : AV product that I have tested -- and it's detection rate stinks,
    : too.
    :
    :
    : On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:32:40 -0800, in
    : <>
    : Mellowed scrawled:
    :
    : >
    : >This is interesting. Never heard of AntiVir. I can't argue about
    the
    : >price. I'll download, try it, then if necessary try ETRUST and AVG
    in
    : >that order.
    : >
    : >Thanks,
    : >
    : >
    : >"Flying Rat" <> wrote in message
    : >news:...
    : >: Mellowed said this...
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >:
    : >: or my favourite www.free-av.com which has caught 150 viruses in the
    : >last
    : >: month
    : >:
    : >: FR
    : >: --
    : >: Are we havin' fun yet?
    : >:
    : >: www.flyingrat.net
    : >
    :
    : --
    : Basic computer maintenance
    : http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    Mellowed, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    IF all things were equal, then why pay an unnecessary amount. However,
    If the $20 was the only solution, then the amount is negligible. The
    experience, knowledge and opinions of this group are certainly valuable
    in making that determination.

    "Nottoman" <> wrote in message
    : Seriously, price should not be your top concern when evaluating an AV
    : program. The dollar amount of damage due to lost time and/or hardware
    is
    : high enough to warrant a $25 purchase.
    :
    : ETrust is the way to go. Grab the free yearly subscription mentioned
    above
    : and you'll never regret it.
    :
    : "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : >

    Mellowed, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    Gees, Norton sure puts the screws to you on price. How can they justify
    that? It is kind of like the same drug costs 50% less in Canada than in
    the US. No wonder Europe has so many competitive programs.

    Mellowed, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Mellowed

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 07:05:30 -0800, in
    <>
    Mellowed scrawled:

    >Thanks for the input Mike.
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >: AnitVir is crap. It has *the* worst false positive rate of any
    >: AV product that I have tested -- and it's detection rate stinks,
    >: too.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    For those interested, I just found this article in PC World.
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,113462,00.asp

    :

    Mellowed, Dec 23, 2003