    change to AVG?
    TIA
    Fred
    Fred37, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Fred37

    old man Guest

    Its not the AV software that should concern you, when connecting, but a
    decent firewall.
    If you have a decent firewall, nothing is going to be downloaded for your AV
    to scan unless the user downloads it.

    old man, Mar 30, 2007

  3. Fred37

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:30:22 -0400, Fred37 <>
    wrote:

    >My friend just recieved his new Gateway laptop with Windows XP Media
    >Edition.
    >It came with McAfee preinstalled.
    >He wants me to remove McAfee and install the free AVG before he goes
    >online for the first time. He will be using hi speed cable via Time
    >Warner Roadrunner, USA.
    >How do I do this? I do not see any info on the Grisoft site about
    >this. Google did not give me anything before I went crosseyed.
    >If I cannot pre-install then what is the best method to accomplish the
    >change to AVG?
    >TIA

    I think he'd be safe if he goes online for a short period of time with
    McAfee, long enough to download AVG.
    Evan Platt, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Fred37

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Fred37 wrote:
    > My friend just recieved his new Gateway laptop with Windows XP Media
    > Edition.
    > It came with McAfee preinstalled.
    > He wants me to remove McAfee and install the free AVG before he goes
    > online for the first time. He will be using hi speed cable via Time
    > Warner Roadrunner, USA.
    > How do I do this? I do not see any info on the Grisoft site about
    > this. Google did not give me anything before I went crosseyed.
    > If I cannot pre-install then what is the best method to accomplish the
    > change to AVG?
    > TIA
    > Fred

    Download AVG setup executable from another machine and save it on a
    memory stick. Take stick to laptop and install.
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Fred37

    Jeremy Numer Guest

    On 03/30/2007 05:41 PM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
    > Fred37 wrote:
    >> My friend just recieved his new Gateway laptop with Windows XP Media
    >> Edition.
    >> It came with McAfee preinstalled.
    >> He wants me to remove McAfee and install the free AVG before he goes
    >> online for the first time. He will be using hi speed cable via Time
    >> Warner Roadrunner, USA.
    >> How do I do this? I do not see any info on the Grisoft site about
    >> this. Google did not give me anything before I went crosseyed.
    >> If I cannot pre-install then what is the best method to accomplish the
    >> change to AVG?
    >> TIA
    >> Fred
    >>

    > Download AVG setup executable from another machine and save it on a
    > memory stick. Take stick to laptop and install.

    And don't forget to save the updates to the memory stick as well.

    And as Old Man said, the firewall must be enabled before your friend
    goes online.
    Jeremy Numer, Mar 31, 2007
  6. Fred37

    Fred37 Guest

    wrote:

    >My friend just recieved his new Gateway laptop with Windows XP Media
    >Edition.
    >It came with McAfee preinstalled.
    >He wants me to remove McAfee and install the free AVG before he goes
    >online for the first time. He will be using hi speed cable via Time
    >Warner Roadrunner, USA.
    >How do I do this? I do not see any info on the Grisoft site about
    >this. Google did not give me anything before I went crosseyed.
    >If I cannot pre-install then what is the best method to accomplish the
    >change to AVG?
    >TIA
    >Fred

    Thanks to all of you.
    I downloaded all of the following install programs on a windows 98SE
    machine.
    Zone Alarm
    AVG
    Spybot S&D
    Adaware
    Spyware Blaster.
    Transferred all of these to a CD.
    All of these installed perfectly on the new laptop with no internet
    connection.
    My friend is pleased.
    Thanks to all of you for the info now and over the past long time.
    He will get his roadrunner tomorrow.
    All should be well with him.
    He is a great guy and golf partner.
    He always has a cold beer to put in my hand.
    Fred
    Fred37, Mar 31, 2007
  7. Fred37

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Jeremy Numer wrote:
    > On 03/30/2007 05:41 PM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >> Fred37 wrote:
    >>> My friend just recieved his new Gateway laptop with Windows XP Media
    >>> Edition.
    >>> It came with McAfee preinstalled.
    >>> He wants me to remove McAfee and install the free AVG before he goes
    >>> online for the first time. He will be using hi speed cable via Time
    >>> Warner Roadrunner, USA.
    >>> How do I do this? I do not see any info on the Grisoft site about
    >>> this. Google did not give me anything before I went crosseyed.
    >>> If I cannot pre-install then what is the best method to accomplish the
    >>> change to AVG?
    >>> TIA
    >>> Fred
    >>>

    >> Download AVG setup executable from another machine and save it on a
    >> memory stick. Take stick to laptop and install.

    > And don't forget to save the updates to the memory stick as well.
    >
    > And as Old Man said, the firewall must be enabled before your friend
    > goes online.

    Don't talk to me, talk to Fred37
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 31, 2007