    (has no nic/modem). Something like AVG would be fine, but how do I transfer
    the updates from my internet pc to the non-internet pc so it'll be fairly
    current?

    J, Mar 30, 2009

  2. J

    VanguardLH Guest

    J wrote:

    > I want to put an AV program onto a pc which is not connected to the internet
    > (has no nic/modem). Something like AVG would be fine, but how do I transfer
    > the updates from my internet pc to the non-internet pc so it'll be fairly
    > current?

    The same way you get the software to the unconnected host to install it.
    As yet, no one other than you knows what hardware you have in the
    unconnected host except for the absence of network and modem cards or
    chips.

    VanguardLH, Mar 30, 2009

  3. J

    Mike Easter Guest

    J wrote:
    > I want to put an AV program onto a pc which is not connected to the
    > internet (has no nic/modem). Something like AVG would be fine, but how
    > do I transfer the updates from my internet pc to the non-internet pc so
    > it'll be fairly current?

    If the internet box and the non-internet box are not networked, you could
    use what some refer to as 'sneakernet'.

    Sneakernet is the transfer of data from one box to another via a removable
    disk. In the very old days, that would be a floppy. Nowadays it is
    generally a flash/thumb drive.

    If they are networked, you could configure the AVG update process on the
    non-internet pc to take place from a directory, which directory would be
    on your internet pc - that assumes that the internet pc is running avg and
    being updated via the internet.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009
  4. J

    pimpom Guest

    J wrote:
    > I want to put an AV program onto a pc which is not connected to
    > the
    > internet (has no nic/modem). Something like AVG would be fine,
    > but
    > how do I transfer the updates from my internet pc to the
    > non-internet
    > pc so it'll be fairly current?

    If you're asking about the update process rather than about
    copying the update files, this is what you do. That is, if the
    process is still the same as with v7.5, after which I stopped
    using AVG.

    Once you've downloaded the update files and copied them to the
    non-internet computer, open AVG and run the update function. You
    will be presented with a choice of updating from the internet or
    from a folder. Choose the folder option and point to the location
    of the update files.

    pimpom, Mar 31, 2009
  5. J

    J Guest

    "pimpom" <> wrote in message
    >J wrote:
    >> I want to put an AV program onto a pc which is not connected to the
    >> internet (has no nic/modem). Something like AVG would be fine, but
    >> how do I transfer the updates from my internet pc to the non-internet
    >> pc so it'll be fairly current?
    >>

    > If you're asking about the update process rather than about copying the
    > update files, this is what you do. That is, if the process is still the
    > same as with v7.5, after which I stopped using AVG.
    >
    > Once you've downloaded the update files and copied them to the
    > non-internet computer, open AVG and run the update function. You will be
    > presented with a choice of updating from the internet or from a folder.
    > Choose the folder option and point to the location of the update files.

    Yeah, that worked! Thanks!

    J, Apr 1, 2009