    disk...

    The OS I want it for is win2k.

    Ferg
    Ferg, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Ferg

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Ferg" <> wrote in news:bio96b
    $lad$:

    > Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot from?
    >
    > I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more than

    one
    > disk...
    >
    > The OS I want it for is win2k.
    >
    > Ferg

    I don't think so because the virus signature database files are now so
    large that they span multiple floppies. This is normal, because there
    are now so many viruses.
    Maybe you could just use the tool to fix the suspect virus, as
    that will fit on a floppy by itself. You could probably fit most of the
    common "fix *" tools from symantec on one floppy.
    See www.sarc.com for the files.

    Your best bet is to physically connect the drive to another
    "clean" system and scan it from there.
    Dave Taylor, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Ferg wrote:
    > Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot from?
    >
    > I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more than
    > one disk...
    >
    > The OS I want it for is win2k.

    No, however you could make yourself a boot CD with the data on it. You make
    a bootable floppy image with CD-ROM drivers and a RAMdisk driver. You code
    autoexec.bat to then copy the contents of the CD (Antivirus) into the
    RAMdisk and execute from there. Only for advanced users :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    I guess I could make a bootable cd with the AV program on that.
    Need to buy a cd burner!

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 30, 2003
  5. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    BTW
    I meant to make it clear that I was appreciating Nicholas' idea.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 30, 2003
  6. I could make you a CD-ROM image to do the job and send it to you via email
    (in sections)?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > I could make you a CD-ROM image to do the job and send it to you via
    > email (in sections)?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    You can download the CD-ROM ISO now from
    http://nadventure.isolunet.com/dosantivir.zip . This is a bootable CD-ROM
    image.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Ferg

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bio96b$lad$>,
    says...
    > Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot from?
    >
    > I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more than one
    > disk...
    >
    > The OS I want it for is win2k.

    I think Fprot fits on one disk?
    Mainlander, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <bio96b$lad$>,
    > says...
    >> Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot from?
    >>
    >> I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more than
    >> one disk...
    >>
    >> The OS I want it for is win2k.

    > I think Fprot fits on one disk?

    Nope, 2.71mb.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 31, 2003
  10. On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:57:27 +1200, Ferg wrote:

    > I guess I could make a bootable cd with the AV program on that. Need to
    > buy a cd burner!

    Or get someone else to burn one for you.

    None of the bootdisk solutions proposed will work if you're running the NT
    filesystem instead of fat32.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 31, 2003
  11. Ferg

    BP Guest

    What's wrong with using more than one floppy?

    Surely, in the time it's taken to create and wait for this thread you could
    have done everything you want to do?

    Copying all the files you need in to a ramdisk would be an ideal solution if
    the AV software has no support for running from multiple floppies.

    BP

    BP, Aug 31, 2003
  12. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Do you mean make a bootable floppy with support for a ram disk and then
    install the av program to that from multiple floppies. Make a multi-volume
    self-extracting file for he AV program and extract to the ramdisk....

    F-Prot dos version is 1.8Mgs zipped.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 31, 2003
  13. Ferg

    Keith Guest

    Bug in AVG? WAS: Av from floppy

    In article <bio96b$lad$>,
    says...
    > Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot from?
    >
    > I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more than one
    > disk...

    So what's wrong with that? AVG usually requires two floppies. What
    actually happened in your case?

    This message prompted me to do a new AVG rescue disc(s) (that last one
    was in July althought I have updated the actual AVG more often).

    The first (bootable) disc worked fine, the same as normal, it deleted the
    old files; wrote the new ones and then propmpted for another disc, same
    as normal.

    But when I put the second disc in it wrote a 0 kb length, read-only file
    called "test.txt" and then came up with a message "Rescue disc not
    created". I tried two different floppies; reformatted them but still got
    the same message.

    Anyone else having difficulty? (AVG free edition 6.0.514 virus database
    312)
    Keith, Aug 31, 2003
  14. Ferg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Re: Bug in AVG? WAS: Av from floppy

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bio96b$lad$>,
    > says...
    > > Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot from?
    > >
    > > I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more than one
    > > disk...

    > So what's wrong with that? AVG usually requires two floppies. What
    > actually happened in your case?
    >
    > This message prompted me to do a new AVG rescue disc(s) (that last one
    > was in July althought I have updated the actual AVG more often).
    >
    > The first (bootable) disc worked fine, the same as normal, it deleted the
    > old files; wrote the new ones and then propmpted for another disc, same
    > as normal.
    >
    > But when I put the second disc in it wrote a 0 kb length, read-only file
    > called "test.txt" and then came up with a message "Rescue disc not
    > created". I tried two different floppies; reformatted them but still got
    > the same message.
    >
    > Anyone else having difficulty? (AVG free edition 6.0.514 virus database
    > 312)

    I did on the old PC a few weeks back, so I dumped it and put AntiVir back on
    it. More than likely AVG are trying to get people onto version 7 which they
    have to sign up for. AntiVir also updates more often.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 31, 2003
  15. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    A friend is bringing round his system someday soon. I asked him what the OS
    was but not whether it was ntfs or fat32...

    I will download that image though and see if I can find someone to burn it
    for me.

    Thanks.

    Ferg, Aug 31, 2003
  16. Ferg

    bambam Guest

    "Ferg" <> wrote in

    > Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot
    > from?
    >
    > I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more
    > than one disk...
    >
    > The OS I want it for is win2k.

    Hi Ferg, I think this program might help. I use it to put f-prot onto
    two floppies. It will also work with AVG and a few others-

    http://www.avdisk.org/pages/about.html

    --
    Inside every older person is a younger person wondering,
    "What the hell happened?!"
    bambam, Aug 31, 2003
  17. Ferg

    Keith Guest

    Re: Bug in AVG? WAS: Av from floppy

    In article <bisk14$2mi$>,
    says...

    > "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <bio96b$lad$>,
    > > says...
    > > > Is there an Av program I can run from a floppy I can also boot from?
    > > >
    > > > I have tried making a rescue disk with AVG but it requires more than one
    > > > disk...

    > > So what's wrong with that? AVG usually requires two floppies. What
    > > actually happened in your case?
    > >
    > > This message prompted me to do a new AVG rescue disc(s) (that last one
    > > was in July althought I have updated the actual AVG more often).
    > >
    > > The first (bootable) disc worked fine, the same as normal, it deleted the
    > > old files; wrote the new ones and then propmpted for another disc, same
    > > as normal.
    > >
    > > But when I put the second disc in it wrote a 0 kb length, read-only file
    > > called "test.txt" and then came up with a message "Rescue disc not
    > > created". I tried two different floppies; reformatted them but still got
    > > the same message.
    > >
    > > Anyone else having difficulty? (AVG free edition 6.0.514 virus database
    > > 312)

    > I did on the old PC a few weeks back, so I dumped it and put AntiVir back on
    > it. More than likely AVG are trying to get people onto version 7 which they
    > have to sign up for. AntiVir also updates more often.

    I've been having a bit of a snoop around with Google and it appears that
    the virus signature file that is written to the second disc, "avg6.avi"
    is larger than 1.4 Mb. AVG 6 doesn't have a disc spanning facility so it
    bombs.

    The solution is to format the second floppy to a higher density. The
    following is a freeware DOS utility that will format a floppy to 1.72 Mb
    (the avg6.avi is currently 1.5 Mb).
    http://www.systemsbysteve.com/software/sformat.zip

    There is also a shareware utility
    http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm