aux port and modem configurations

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Beppe, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Beppe

    Beppe Guest

    Hi all,
    I'm trying to setting up a remote administration on a
    1751v router.
    I want to connect a modem 56k v90 or v92 to the
    AUX port of it and to the other end I want to connect to that modem from
    another modem using Hyperterminal on a windows pc, making a call.
    This is my config on line aux:

    line aux 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    password XXXXXXX
    script dialer Dialout
    login
    modem InOut
    exec prompt timestamp
    transport input all
    autoselect during-login
    autoselect ppp
    stopbits 1
    speed 38400
    flowcontrol hardware

    it works, but When I'm in the cisco prompt # and try to digit exit, when I'm
    pressing return
    it disconnect the two modems immediately! but only in the enable prompt#,
    if I stay in conf t prompt#, exit works normally...
    why? I've make some mistakes?
    can you suggest me some usefull link to configure this situation?
    I must configure something else on the router?
    I must configure something on the modem?
    I've noticed that the comunication between the two modems don't work so good
    and sometimes don't take the connection easly.
    Thanks to all that want to suggest me possible solutions.
    Regards
    Beppe

    Beppe, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Beppe

    MC Guest

    many do not aggree but I prefer to use the console port hooked to a 3COM/USR
    sportster or courier modem with the dip switches (or other compatible modem)
    that can be set to dumb mode, 9600 dialup only. This way I can access the
    console even in diag mode, etc.

    Then only issue is that the console does not support modem control, have to
    setup the switches on the modcem to overide carrier detect and DTR, force
    answer on first ring no echo offline commands and do not responde to
    commands, etc.

    Also no security, hang up without logging off and not imeout on the port and
    the next caller has control.

    I usually setup a very short timeout on the port, if needed I reset to a
    longer timeout when log in and reset back later. This way the short timeout
    loggs out the session if I forget.

    I have tried to use the AUX port but have had remote routers hang and then
    the AUX port did not work but could access the console port, Not good when
    no one around.

    I have not had the chance to see if any are available with the same features
    needed, or if the 3COM/USR modems can do it, but would be best to use a
    modem that has some security features like its own user and passwords before
    allowing access to the router if going to use this method.

    MC, Feb 17, 2004