    1. Advertising

  2. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    Mark², Nov 6, 2005

  3. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    news:9mubf.5113$UF4.2319@fed1read02...
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/51861960/original

    > Is that a crop?
    > It looks quite blurry to me.

    It actually looks hazy to me. Maybe some contrast/saturation adjustments
    may make some difference.

    --

    Rob
    "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Nov 6, 2005
  4. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:

    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/51861960/original

    > Is that a crop?
    > It looks quite blurry to me.

    The contrast is a bit low too. Adjusting the levels a bit makes it
    look much better.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Annika1980

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message

    Is something up with PBase? I can't see the photo, has X mark. Catalog shows
    only a couple thumbnails. Rest with X. Same when I go to other user's photos
    too.
    John
    JohnR66, Nov 7, 2005
  6. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/51861960/original
    >>

    > Is something up with PBase? I can't see the photo, has X mark.
    > Catalog shows only a couple thumbnails. Rest with X. Same when I go
    > to other user's photos too.
    > John

    Ya, Pbase just went on the blink within the last 15 minutes or so.
    It's not just his photos...

    :(
    Mark², Nov 7, 2005
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >It actually looks hazy to me. Maybe some contrast/saturation adjustments
    >may make some difference.

    It was a hazy morning and the pic was taken from about 600 yards over
    water, so the viewing conditions were not quite ideal. I guess I need
    to train that damn bird to come closer. Guess I'll have to go buy a
    big rubber fish.
    Annika1980, Nov 7, 2005
  8. Annika1980

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:47:28 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >JohnR66 wrote:
    >> "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/51861960/original
    >>>

    >> Is something up with PBase? I can't see the photo, has X mark.
    >> Catalog shows only a couple thumbnails. Rest with X. Same when I go
    >> to other user's photos too.
    >> John

    >Ya, Pbase just went on the blink within the last 15 minutes or so.
    >It's not just his photos...

    :mad:

    working ok now (13:40 Monday 7th Nov)
    Donald Gray, Nov 7, 2005
  9. Annika1980

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Annika1980 wrote
    >
    >the pic was taken from about 600 yards over water ...
    >I guess I need to train that damn bird to come closer

    There are a couple of places in Alaska with large eagle populations you
    can photograph in the winter months at closer range ... sometimes you
    have to back up to get head shots :) I got these a couple years ago
    with a 10D (and also better ones with film, I was evaluating film vs
    digital in the field on that trip) ...

    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/flight.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/cry.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/head.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/immature.jpg

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 7, 2005
  10. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >There are a couple of places in Alaska with large eagle populations you
    >can photograph in the winter months at closer range ... sometimes you
    >have to back up to get head shots :)

    That would be like cheating. I'd love to go to Alaska someday,
    although I'm not sure I'd love it in the Winter months.
    Maybe early September. We only have about 4-5 eagles within 50 miles of
    where I live. I like finding their nests. Currently, I know where 3
    nests are, but there's at least one more I haven't found yet. When I
    see an eagle (or an Osprey like I did this morning, I get excited). I
    don't know if I'd get the same satisfaction taking eagle pics in
    Alaska. Like shooting fish in a barrel, dontcha know.
    However, I do enjoy looking at great pics like yours of the big birds
    up close.
    Annika1980, Nov 7, 2005
  11. "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > >It actually looks hazy to me. Maybe some contrast/saturation adjustments
    >>may make some difference.

    > It was a hazy morning and the pic was taken from about 600 yards over
    > water, so the viewing conditions were not quite ideal. I guess I need
    > to train that damn bird to come closer. Guess I'll have to go buy a
    > big rubber fish.

    Well a bigger rubber fish just may do it. :)

    I was jut thinking that a contrast adjustment might help mask the haze and
    make that pesky bird just pop right out. with too much contrast, however,
    you do stand the chance of loosing the birds body.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Nov 7, 2005
  12. Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>Annika1980 wrote
    >>
    >>the pic was taken from about 600 yards over water ...
    >>I guess I need to train that damn bird to come closer

    > There are a couple of places in Alaska with large eagle populations you
    > can photograph in the winter months at closer range ... sometimes you
    > have to back up to get head shots :) I got these a couple years ago
    > with a 10D (and also better ones with film, I was evaluating film vs
    > digital in the field on that trip) ...
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/flight.jpg
    > http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/cry.jpg
    > http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/head.jpg
    > http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/eagles_digital/immature.jpg

    The first one is a corker! Dang, that's a hellova nice shot.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 7, 2005
  13. Annika1980

    Marten Guest

    If you want to see some bald eagles head up to Brackendale, BC. It is about
    a 1/2 hour drive north of Vancouver on the way to Whistler, site of the
    2010 Winter Olympics. From now until the end of February you could see up to
    4000 around the town. http://www.brackendaleeagles.com/ You can rent a
    300mm 2.8L and a 2X converter in Vancouver from
    http://www.beauphoto.com/frames/rtlfrm.html and head up there one weekend. I
    think I'm going to do that.

    Marten

    Marten, Nov 7, 2005
  14. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    http://www.brackendaleeagles.com/photos.html

    You'd think that with 4000 eagles to choose from they could come up
    with some better pics for their website.
    I've taken better eagle pics than those and we've only got about 5 in
    season.
    Btw, the 4th pic on that page is a Turkey Vulture. We've got thousands
    of those.
    Annika1980, Nov 8, 2005
  15. Annika1980

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Marten writes ...
    >
    > If you want to see some bald eagles head up to Brackendale, BC
    > ... From now until the end of February you could see up to
    > 4000 around the town. http://www.brackendaleeagles.com/

    Can you get close to the eagles? Or at least closer than the guy who
    took these photos? Can you get good angled light on them? Most of the
    shots on this page are from a long distance and several have strong
    sidelighting, which is a death sentence for birds with black bodies and
    white heads because of the contrast ...

    >You can rent a 300mm 2.8L and a 2X converter in Vancouver from
    >... and head up there one weekend. I think I'm going to do that.

    Let us know how it works out ...

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 8, 2005
  16. Annika1980

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Annika writes ...
    >
    > Btw, the 4th pic on that page is a Turkey Vulture

    I think that's the Terrell Owens bird ... thought he was an eagle but
    turns out he was something else?
    Bill Hilton, Nov 8, 2005
  17. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >> Btw, the 4th pic on that page is a Turkey Vulture

    >I think that's the Terrell Owens bird ... thought he was an eagle but
    >turns out he was something else?

    A dodo.
    Annika1980, Nov 8, 2005
  18. Annika1980

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > > Annika writes ...
    > >
    > > Btw, the 4th pic on that page is a Turkey Vulture

    > I think that's the Terrell Owens bird ... thought he was an eagle but
    > turns out he was something else?

    No Vulture, just turkey ...
    Mike Fields, Nov 9, 2005
  19. Annika1980

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <> wrote in message
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > > >It actually looks hazy to me. Maybe some contrast/saturation

    adjustments
    > >>may make some difference.

    > > It was a hazy morning and the pic was taken from about 600 yards

    over
    > > water, so the viewing conditions were not quite ideal. I guess I

    need
    > > to train that damn bird to come closer. Guess I'll have to go buy a
    > > big rubber fish.

    > Well a bigger rubber fish just may do it. :)
    >
    > I was jut thinking that a contrast adjustment might help mask the haze

    and
    > make that pesky bird just pop right out. with too much contrast,

    however,
    > you do stand the chance of loosing the birds body.
    >
    > --

    My wife used to work with a guy that had some outstanding eagle
    pictures. He would set up on a dock up in an area where there were
    lots of eagles and throw a dead fish out he had injected with air so it
    would float. Get all set with a good lens and shoot them as they
    came in to grab the fish. (this was in the days of film). Some really
    outstanding shots that I saw.

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Nov 9, 2005