    "Prompt me each time to set an action" , which is the default.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    ToyalP2, Nov 21, 2006

  2. ToyalP2

    Guest

    ToyalP2 <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Every once in a while a smaill window pops up in the upper left corner
    >of my screen with the title AutoPlay and the flashlight icon searching
    >for something, I don't know what but whatever it is it never finds it.
    >I try to Cancel or close and it won't let me. After a minute or so it
    >goes away only to start again in another few seconds.
    >I can't do anything while that windows is searching and the only way I
    >can get rid of it, SOMETIMES, is to do a System Restore to a few days
    >earlier.
    >I have a DVD and a CD drives and have set the AutoPlay on both to
    >"Prompt me each time to set an action" , which is the default.
    >Any ideas?

    A long shot, but you might have a autorun.ini file on the root of one
    of your HD partitions.

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_-RdAzkKlXY
    , Nov 21, 2006

  3. ToyalP2

    Butch Haynes Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > ToyalP2 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>Every once in a while a smaill window pops up in the upper left corner
    >>of my screen with the title AutoPlay and the flashlight icon searching
    >>for something, I don't know what but whatever it is it never finds it.
    >>I try to Cancel or close and it won't let me. After a minute or so it
    >>goes away only to start again in another few seconds.
    >>I can't do anything while that windows is searching and the only way I
    >>can get rid of it, SOMETIMES, is to do a System Restore to a few days
    >>earlier.
    >>I have a DVD and a CD drives and have set the AutoPlay on both to
    >>"Prompt me each time to set an action" , which is the default.
    >>Any ideas?

    > A long shot, but you might have a autorun.ini file on the root of one
    > of your HD partitions.
    >
    > --
    > http://youtube.com/watch?v=_-RdAzkKlXY

    I've got a USB HD that was doing the same thing-- thanks for the tip-- and
    the link to one of my favorite songs!

    Butch
    Butch Haynes, Nov 21, 2006
  4. ToyalP2

    ToyalP2 Guest

    Thanks,
    I have 4 HDs, 2 - 160G, 1-80G and 1-40 G, no autorun.ini on the roots of
    any of them.
    I did a search for autorun.* and found tons, most .inf and .txt but not
    a single .ini. a couple of .exe from Roxio and Office, that's all.
    Any new ideas?
    Thanks again.

    ToyalP2, Nov 22, 2006
  5. ToyalP2

    Guest

    ToyalP2 <> wrote:

    >Thanks,
    >I have 4 HDs, 2 - 160G, 1-80G and 1-40 G, no autorun.ini on the roots of
    >any of them.
    >I did a search for autorun.* and found tons, most .inf and .txt but not
    >a single .ini. a couple of .exe from Roxio and Office, that's all.
    >Any new ideas?

    Download Process Explorer, unzip it to a directory and place a
    shortcut to your desktop. http://tinyurl.com/sjzno

    When the autoplay search starts open PE double click on the process
    (it should be in red) read the image. It will tell you what program is
    responsible.

    --
    'Urban myth' sparks stereo theft
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6168916.stm
  6. ToyalP2

    Guest

    ToyalP2 <> wrote:

    >I can't do anything while that windows is searching and the only way I
    >can get rid of it, SOMETIMES, is to do a System Restore to a few days
    >earlier.

    I missed this part :{

    Download Process Monitor http://tinyurl.com/y355ao unzip to a
    directory and shortcut to your desktop.

    This is harder than PE, and you might need to use the filters.

    This program shows process actions and registry accesses.

    Let it run, when your autoplay search stops, stop the capture of PM
    (CTL-E) at the bottom should be the program in question and it's
    actions; or search for autorun.ini

    What you do from there depends upon what you find.

    --
    'Urban myth' sparks stereo theft
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6168916.stm
    , Nov 22, 2006
  7. ToyalP2

    ToyalP2 Guest

    Thanks Pennywise, that's a great reply, I downloaded and installed
    Process Explorer and it's a great application, of course, Autorun is not
    popping up right now but it will one of these days and PE is a much
    better way to find out what is causing it than Task Manager which I have
    replaced now with PE.
    I placed Process Manager in my favorites in case I have to resort to it.
    THANKS!

    ToyalP2, Nov 24, 2006