    the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
    that one seperately?

    If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?

    GraB, Oct 22, 2006

  2. GraB

    iascoot Guest

    iascoot, Oct 22, 2006

  3. GraB

    Phil Guest

    GraB wrote, On 22/10/06 10.43 p:
    > So that I can advise a friend of mine with 32-bit XP who is not good
    > at keeping up with updates:
    >
    > If you downloaded the full August Autopatcher and nothing since, would
    > the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
    > that one seperately?
    >
    > If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?

    Wouldn't just leaving Windows' automatic update thing on be far easier?

    -Phil

    Phil, Oct 22, 2006
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:45:49 +1300, Phil <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote, On 22/10/06 10.43 p:
    >> So that I can advise a friend of mine with 32-bit XP who is not good
    >> at keeping up with updates:
    >>
    >> If you downloaded the full August Autopatcher and nothing since, would
    >> the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
    >> that one seperately?
    >>
    >> If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?
    >>

    >Wouldn't just leaving Windows' automatic update thing on be far easier?

    I am not an XP user myself but I believe that is a much messier way.
    With the actual updater, you have the updates to re-apply, if
    necessary, after a reinstall, for instance.

    GraB, Oct 22, 2006
  5. GraB

    impossible Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:45:49 +1300, Phil <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Wouldn't just leaving Windows' automatic update thing on be far
    >>easier?
    >>

    > I am not an XP user myself but I believe that is a much messier way.
    > With the actual updater, you have the updates to re-apply, if
    > necessary, after a reinstall, for instance.

    I assume everyone is talking about the SoftPedia AutoPatcher, which --
    it's important to note -- is NOT "the actual updater" for XP in any
    offical sense of being supported/endorsed by MS. It's a free service
    provided by SoftPedia, and in my experience it works fine for just the
    sort of post-installation update you're talking about. But it's
    definitely not a substitute for the official MS upgrade service,
    either in terms of completeness, convenience, or cost-savings.

    SoftPedia provides the equivalent of a complete service-pack update
    you can store on your hard drive (or elsewhere), which will take you
    all the way from an original XP release, past SP1 and SP2, to the most
    current version (minus a month or so). That's pretty slick. Of course,
    the SoftPedia download is not small -- currently, I think, 250Mb+ --
    and yes, you have to either acquire the monthly updates regularly or
    else download a whole new baseline product periodically. But if your
    goal is to do a *nearly* complete installation of XP without having to
    first expose yourself to the net, then this is a good choice.

    The important caveat here, I think, is that all XP users (other than
    administrators with good reasons to work differently) should have
    Microsoft's own Automatic Updates service enabled as their default
    configuration . This will alert you to the latest patches/updates as
    they're released, which SoftPedia might not catch up to for a month or
    more.

    impossible, Oct 22, 2006
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Re: Autopatcher question - another

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:43:14 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >So that I can advise a friend of mine with 32-bit XP who is not good
    >at keeping up with updates:
    >
    >If you downloaded the full August Autopatcher and nothing since, would
    >the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
    >that one seperately?
    >
    >If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?

    How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
    one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
    on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
    updaters.

    GraB, Oct 24, 2006
  7. GraB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: Autopatcher question - another

    GraB <> wrote in news:eek:eirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
    @4ax.com:

    > How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
    > one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
    > on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
    > updaters.

    About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.

    Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
    every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
    fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
    too.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 24, 2006
  8. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Re: Autopatcher question - another

    On 24 Oct 2006 22:00:49 +1300, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >GraB <> wrote in news:eek:eirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
    >@4ax.com:
    >
    >> How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
    >> one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
    >> on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
    >> updaters.
    >>

    >About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.
    >
    >Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
    >every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
    >fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
    >too.

    I don't use XP but I have a friend who does and has had heaps of
    trouble with it. He told me he was in the middle of a reinstall so I
    got him to get the Autopatcher and he said it made a very noticeable
    difference, with the performance and security tweaks, in addition to
    the security patches.

    GraB, Oct 24, 2006
  9. GraB

    <> wrote:

    >GraB <> wrote in news:eek:eirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
    >@4ax.com:
    >
    >> How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
    >> one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
    >> on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
    >> updaters.
    >>

    >About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.
    >
    >Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
    >every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
    >fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
    >too.

    If you get October's updater do you still need September's, or is
    September's updates included in the October one?

    GraB, Oct 25, 2006
  10. GraB

    Jerry Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On 24 Oct 2006 22:00:49 +1300, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>GraB <> wrote in news:eek:eirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
    >>@4ax.com:
    >>

    >>>How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
    >>>one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
    >>>on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
    >>>updaters.
    >>>

    >>About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.
    >>
    >>Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
    >>every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
    >>fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
    >>too.

    > If you get October's updater do you still need September's, or is
    > September's updates included in the October one?

    Get the full version for August, about 264MB and then the updates for
    September and October, about 13MB each. You have to install them in order.

    Jerry, Oct 25, 2006
  11. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Re: Autopatcher question - another

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:46:31 +1300, Jerry
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> On 24 Oct 2006 22:00:49 +1300, Dave Taylor
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>GraB <> wrote in news:eek:eirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
    >>>@4ax.com:

    >>>About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.
    >>>
    >>>Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
    >>>every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
    >>>fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
    >>>too.

    >> If you get October's updater do you still need September's, or is
    >> September's updates included in the October one?

    >Get the full version for August, about 264MB and then the updates for
    >September and October, about 13MB each. You have to install them in order.

    OK. October's is 43Mb.

    GraB, Oct 25, 2006
  12. GraB

    impossible Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:46:31 +1300, Jerry
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Get the full version for August, about 264MB and then the updates
    >>for
    >>September and October, about 13MB each. You have to install them in
    >>order.

    > OK. October's is 43Mb.

    This is where the Autopatcher, compared to MS Automatic Updates,
    starts to get cumbersome. Because while MS screens your list of
    updates to include only those components you actually need,
    Autopatcher bundles together *everything* that's available. For
    example, .Net Framework updates, driver updates, etc, that may be
    sheer waste, not to mention updates to Autopatcher appletsaddons you
    may never have wanted/used in the first place. Better, I think, to
    just use Autopatcher once, after XP is first installed, and then let
    MS Update take over from there. Less trouble and more economical.

    impossible, Oct 25, 2006
  13. GraB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: Autopatcher question - another

    "impossible" <> wrote in

    > Better, I think, to
    > just use Autopatcher once, after XP is first installed, and then let
    > MS Update take over from there. Less trouble and more economical.

    This is also what I recommend.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 26, 2006