Autopatcher and alternative

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nighthawk, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    Nighthawk, Nov 27, 2007

  2. Nighthawk

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Nov 27, 2007

  3. Nighthawk

    Puddle Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    > anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    > new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    > http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >
    > Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    > http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277

    I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
    of that project not surprising really.

    I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
    professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
    to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
    my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
    to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
    memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
    to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
    working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
    things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
    instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
    and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is :).
    Puddle, Nov 27, 2007
  4. Nighthawk

    blanking Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >
    >>Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    >>anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >>new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    >>http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >>
    >>Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    >>http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277
    >>

    > Wonder how long before M$ tries to close it down like Autopatcher..

    They already did this in august so this link comes way too late.
    blanking, Nov 27, 2007
  5. Nighthawk

    Puddle Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    >>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >>> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    >>> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >>>
    >>> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    >>> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277
    >>>

    >> Wonder how long before M$ tries to close it down like Autopatcher..

    > They already did this in august so this link comes way too late.

    This is someone that has continued on the project (in the forums), and
    it still works - for how long who knows :).
    Puddle, Nov 27, 2007
  6. Nighthawk

    Mutlley Guest

    Puddle <> wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    >> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    >> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >>
    >> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    >> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277
    >>

    >I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
    >of that project not surprising really.
    >
    >I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
    >professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
    >to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
    >my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
    >to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
    >memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
    >to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
    >working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
    >things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
    >instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
    >and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is :).

    I still use a old Compaq 486 with Win98se on it as a email server at
    home. Goes for months without needing to be restarted..
    Mutlley, Nov 27, 2007
  7. In message <>, Nighthawk wrote:

    > ... curious to know if
    > anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    > new updater called APUP ...

    Funny how people can cheerfully condone the egregious violation of
    Microsoft's Intellectual Property Rights in such a cavalier fashion. Have
    you no concern for Microsoft's feelings, people?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 28, 2007
  8. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:30:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Nighthawk wrote:
    >
    >> ... curious to know if
    >> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >> new updater called APUP ...

    >Funny how people can cheerfully condone the egregious violation of
    >Microsoft's Intellectual Property Rights in such a cavalier fashion. Have
    >you no concern for Microsoft's feelings, people?

    Off course we have - as much as you!
    Nighthawk, Nov 28, 2007
  9. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:14:58 +1300, Puddle <>
    wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    >> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    >> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >>
    >> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    >> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277
    >>

    >I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
    >of that project not surprising really.
    >
    >I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
    >professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
    >to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
    >my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
    >to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
    >memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
    >to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
    >working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
    >things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
    >instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
    >and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is :).

    Perhaps you might be interested in this:
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

    It includes some tweaks including better memory handling. I installed
    mine with 98Lite which makes it faster and more stable.
    Nighthawk, Nov 28, 2007
  10. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:30:42 +1300, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:

    >"Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    >>>anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >>>new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    >>>http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >>>
    >>>Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    >>>http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277
    >>>

    >> Wonder how long before M$ tries to close it down like Autopatcher..

    >They already did this in august so this link comes way too late.

    I'm downloading it now.
    Nighthawk, Nov 28, 2007
  11. In article <>, Nighthawk did
    write:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:30:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Nighthawk wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... curious to know if
    >>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >>> new updater called APUP ...

    >>Funny how people can cheerfully condone the egregious violation of
    >>Microsoft's Intellectual Property Rights in such a cavalier fashion. Have
    >>you no concern for Microsoft's feelings, people?

    > Off course we have - as much as you!

    I don't make unauthorized use of Microsoft's products.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 28, 2007
  12. On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:34:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wittered dully in

    > In article <>, Nighthawk did
    > write:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:30:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Funny how people can cheerfully condone the egregious violation of
    >>>Microsoft's Intellectual Property Rights in such a cavalier fashion. Have
    >>>you no concern for Microsoft's feelings, people?

    >> Off course we have - as much as you!

    > I don't make unauthorized use of Microsoft's products.

    As one would expect from a linux weenie.
    Were you conceited before you achieved perfection? Can you walk on water
    as well?

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... People like you are the reason the rest of us have middle fingers.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 28, 2007
  13. In article <>, Nicolaas Hawkins did write:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:34:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wittered dully in
    >
    >> I don't make unauthorized use of Microsoft's products.

    > Can you walk on water as well?

    Why, is it that hard to live your life without violating Microsoft's
    copyrights?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 28, 2007
  14. Nighthawk

    no Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:56:21 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:34:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wittered dully in
    >
    >> In article <>, Nighthawk did
    >> write:

    >>> Off course we have - as much as you!

    >> I don't make unauthorized use of Microsoft's products.

    >As one would expect from a linux weenie.
    >Were you conceited before you achieved perfection? Can you walk on water
    >as well?

    Yes he can he is God..
    no , Nov 28, 2007
  15. On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:06:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > In article <>, Nicolaas Hawkins did write:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:34:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wittered dully in
    >>
    >>> I don't make unauthorized use of Microsoft's products.

    >> Can you walk on water as well?

    > Why, is it that hard to live your life without violating Microsoft's
    > copyrights?

    This is not about me. Want to try again?
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 28, 2007
  16. In article <19rzm1lnenhjc$>, Nicolaas Hawkins did write:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:06:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote in

    >> In article <>, Nicolaas Hawkins did write:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:34:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>> <_zealand> wittered dully in

    >>> Can you walk on water as well?

    >> Why, is it that hard to live your life without violating Microsoft's
    >> copyrights?

    > This is not about me.

    Then why did you butt in?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 28, 2007
  17. In article <>, no
    did write:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:56:21 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:34:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wittered dully in
    >>
    >>> I don't make unauthorized use of Microsoft's products.

    >>Can you walk on water as well?

    > Yes he can he is God..

    And God is telling you: DON'T PIRATE MICROSOFT'S PRODUCTS!!!
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 28, 2007
  18. On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:13:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > In article <19rzm1lnenhjc$>, Nicolaas Hawkins did write:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:06:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote in

    >>> In article <>, Nicolaas Hawkins did write:

    >>> Why, is it that hard to live your life without violating Microsoft's
    >>> copyrights?

    >> This is not about me.

    > Then why did you butt in?

    1. Because it pisses you off.
    2. Because I can.

    Next damn-fool question?

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... There are rhythms in the world waiting for words to be written to
    them."
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 28, 2007
  19. Nighthawk

    Puddle Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Puddle <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nighthawk wrote:
    >>> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    >>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >>> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    >>> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >>>
    >>> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    >>> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277
    >>>

    >> I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
    >> of that project not surprising really.
    >>
    >> I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
    >> professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
    >> to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
    >> my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
    >> to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
    >> memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
    >> to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
    >> working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
    >> things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
    >> instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
    >> and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is :).

    > I still use a old Compaq 486 with Win98se on it as a email server at
    > home. Goes for months without needing to be restarted..

    Yeah it was misbehaving programs that killed 98, unfortunately the OS
    just couldn't deal with them, I am sure it would go for ages if you
    aren't constantly installing new software and making changes etc.
    Puddle, Nov 29, 2007
  20. Nighthawk

    Puddle Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:14:58 +1300, Puddle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Nighthawk wrote:
    >>> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
    >>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
    >>> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
    >>> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89
    >>>
    >>> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
    >>> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/forums/go.shtml?list=1&forum_id=108277
    >>>

    >> I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
    >> of that project not surprising really.
    >>
    >> I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
    >> professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
    >> to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
    >> my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
    >> to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
    >> memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
    >> to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
    >> working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
    >> things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
    >> instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
    >> and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is :).

    > Perhaps you might be interested in this:
    > http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    >
    > It includes some tweaks including better memory handling. I installed
    > mine with 98Lite which makes it faster and more stable.

    Thanks, will check that out.
    Puddle, Nov 29, 2007