Autopano Pro converting RAW

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Father McKenzie, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. Father McKenzie, Apr 1, 2008

  2. Father McKenzie

    Mr.T Guest

    "Father McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    > large.
    > PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

    And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself, wouldn't
    it :)

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Apr 1, 2008

  3. Mr.T wrote:
    > "Father McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    >> Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    >> large.
    >> PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

    > And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself, wouldn't
    > it :)
    >
    > MrT.

    Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
    quicker to put them straight into the pano program. I now see why that
    other man said not to cross post.

    --
    Father McKenzie
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    Father McKenzie, Apr 1, 2008
  4. Father McKenzie

    PixelPix Guest

    On Apr 1, 3:11 pm, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    > Mr.T wrote:
    > > "Father McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    > >> Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    > >> large.
    > >> PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

    > > And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself, wouldn't
    > > it :)

    > > MrT.

    > Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
    > quicker to put them straight into the pano program. I now see why that
    > other man said not to cross post.
    >
    > --
    > Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    How much raw conversion control does the pano program give you and how
    is the output quality compared to something like CapOne?

    PixelPix, Apr 1, 2008
  5. Father McKenzie

    rodkosmos Guest

    On Apr 1, 10:23 am, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    > Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    > large.
    > PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2377167816/sizes/o/
    >
    > A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
    > I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.
    >
    > --
    > Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    Hi
    When making a PANO in a 3 : 1 ratio use the Golden section rule. The "
    third" rule is just not up to it when you compare.
    Move the end of the line to the centre and it will get better and more
    dramatic

    Also get some drama going by increasing the saturation of the sunset
    gold. and darken down the top and base of the picture to make some
    simple improvements.
    Any noise can be removed by shooting at lower iSO and geting the right
    exposure.
    IT can e a mistake to blame the long exposure.

    Burnt out highlights and blocked up shadows are a product of poor
    exposure and lack of contrast control. Not "digital"
    A very nice iamge

    Rod
    www.da-vinci-vision.com

    rodkosmos, Apr 1, 2008
  6. Father McKenzie

    Guest

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:26:08 -0700 (PDT), in rec.photo.digital
    rodkosmos <> wrote:

    >Any noise can be removed by shooting at lower iSO and geting the right
    >exposure.
    >IT can e a mistake to blame the long exposure.

    You might consider actually looking at the camera settings before
    inserting your foot in your mouth. iso100, f/13, 30sec.

    , Apr 1, 2008
  7. Father McKenzie

    Draco Guest

    On Mar 31, 8:23 pm, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    > Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    > large.
    > PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2377167816/sizes/o/
    >
    > A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
    > I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.
    >
    > --
    > Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    Very nice image. Very satisfying feel to it. Very good use of leading
    lines and the horizen is just below center and level. What was the
    exposure time and f/stop? Which camera and lens combo you used. I know
    you probably have already said, but I didn't see it.

    The noise is very limited in the screen I see and the dust and or
    droplet in the upper left could be cloned out. If you can't get back
    to the site to reshoot after cleaning the sensor.

    Keep shooting. Very well done.

    Draco

    Draco, Apr 1, 2008
  8. Father McKenzie

    Guest

    On Apr 1, 10:23 am, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    > Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    > large.
    > PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2377167816/sizes/o/
    >
    > A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
    > I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.
    >
    > --
    > Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    Nice work - I like the composition - maybe it would have benefited
    from a more interesting sky*. I find the foreground a little odd - it
    seems to get brighter towards the camera, which hints at flash... (-
    surely not! but it might be worth toning down slightly to remove the
    perception..)

    * - I can relate to sky issues.. I set myself up for a pano shoot in
    Brisbane at lunchtime yesterday - the sky background looked great...
    but just as I got ready, a large cloud bank moved into exactly the
    wrong place, and I left with nothing useful after waiting over an
    hour. sigh, there's always tomorrow, I guess.

    , Apr 1, 2008
  9. Father McKenzie

    Noons Guest

    On Apr 1, 3:11 pm, Father McKenzie

    > Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
    > quicker to put them straight into the pano program. I now see why that
    > other man said not to cross post.

    please ignore that stupid troll,
    he posts mainly in aus.tv, a well
    known troll hole.

    Great work. Yeah, time to clean the sensor
    in mine as well, after the last trip.
    Wish these things came with a warning, rather
    than finding out later on that the shots all
    have "spots"... Maybe the sensor-shaking
    folks have got it right, after all.

    Anyways, like I said: nice stuff. I like
    these "smoky water" shots, they create
    a great mood.

    Noons, Apr 1, 2008
  10. Father McKenzie

    > >> Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    > >> large.
    > >> PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

    > > And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself,

    wouldn't
    > > it :)

    > Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
    > quicker to put them straight into the pano program.

    Yeah, and a lot quicker to just do it than whinge about it too :)

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Apr 2, 2008
  11. Mr.T wrote:
    > "Father McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    >>> And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself,

    > wouldn't
    >>> it :)

    >> Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
    >> quicker to put them straight into the pano program.

    > Yeah, and a lot quicker to just do it than whinge about it too :)
    >
    > MrT.

    I don't recall whinging?

    Father McKenzie, Apr 3, 2008
  12. PixelPix wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 3:11 pm, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    >> Mr.T wrote:
    >>> "Father McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    >>> And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself, wouldn't
    >>> it :)
    >>> MrT.

    >> Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
    >> quicker to put them straight into the pano program. I now see why that
    >> other man said not to cross post.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    > How much raw conversion control does the pano program give you and how
    > is the output quality compared to something like CapOne?

    You don't get much raw conversion, before I made this one I tried
    altering the image in DPP then coverting to JPG but both programs
    wouldn't line it up.

    I was forwarded an image of the same jetty with a ten minute exposure

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/llenuts/2373218752/sizes/o/

    Father McKenzie, Apr 3, 2008
  13. rodkosmos wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 10:23 am, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    >> Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    >> large.
    >> PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2377167816/sizes/o/
    >>
    >> A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
    >> I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    > Hi
    > When making a PANO in a 3 : 1 ratio use the Golden section rule. The "
    > third" rule is just not up to it when you compare.
    > Move the end of the line to the centre and it will get better and more
    > dramatic
    >
    > Also get some drama going by increasing the saturation of the sunset
    > gold. and darken down the top and base of the picture to make some
    > simple improvements.

    I tried not to over saturate it, at the time I took this it was almost
    pitch black,

    > Any noise can be removed by shooting at lower iSO and geting the right
    > exposure.

    It was on iso100 which it the lowest a 400d will go

    > IT can e a mistake to blame the long exposure.
    >
    > Burnt out highlights and blocked up shadows are a product of poor
    > exposure and lack of contrast control. Not "digital"
    > A very nice iamge

    Thank you

    Father McKenzie, Apr 3, 2008
  14. Draco wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 8:23 pm, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    >> Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    >> large.
    >> PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2377167816/sizes/o/
    >>
    >> A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
    >> I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    > Very nice image. Very satisfying feel to it. Very good use of leading
    > lines and the horizen is just below center and level. What was the
    > exposure time and f/stop? Which camera and lens combo you used. I know
    > you probably have already said, but I didn't see it.

    Exposure was 30 seconds, I would have liked to go bulb and around 1
    minute but my cable release is playing up. This was f4.

    I am using the 400d with the kit 28-50 lens for this shot

    > The noise is very limited in the screen I see and the dust and or
    > droplet in the upper left could be cloned out.

    I had cloned out another couple but missed this one.

    If you can't get back
    > to the site to reshoot after cleaning the sensor.

    I will be heading there next week for a sunrise shot.
    From this same location the sun should be just about the end of the jetty

    > Keep shooting. Very well done.

    Thanks

    Father McKenzie, Apr 3, 2008
  15. wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 10:23 am, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    >> Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
    >> large.
    >> PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2377167816/sizes/o/
    >>
    >> A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
    >> I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

    > Nice work - I like the composition - maybe it would have benefited
    > from a more interesting sky*. I find the foreground a little odd - it
    > seems to get brighter towards the camera, which hints at flash... (-
    > surely not! but it might be worth toning down slightly to remove the
    > perception..)

    No no flash in this shot, I had an incident just before this shot where
    the camera and flash fell off the tripod as I was moving it and filled
    the flash with sand.

    Father McKenzie, Apr 4, 2008
  16. Father McKenzie

    JPG

    > > wouldn't it :)

    > >> Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
    > >> quicker to put them straight into the pano program.

    > > Yeah, and a lot quicker to just do it than whinge about it too :)

    > I don't recall whinging?

    What do you call it then, and the purpose of your post was what exactly?
    I'd choose a Pano program on it's pano capabilities myself, not on whether
    it can convert RAW images. (and most likely with little real control)
    But hey, whatever works for you, just don't expect the rest of the world to
    necessarily care about your choice too.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Apr 4, 2008