Automating a couple of things in Windows

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, May 21, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    OK, Windows experts.

    I want to make things simple for a friend.

    Before a backup is run, I want to pop up a reminder onscreen for the
    user to check a removable drive is plugged in, then press OK to proceed.
    (Ideally, I guess the presence of the drive would also be checked so a
    reminder might not always be necessary).

    After the backup, I want to stop the removable drive automatically and
    pop up a reminder to unplug it.

    The backup program (Cobian Backup, it is fantastic) has the option to
    run actions before and after the backup, so this should be relatively
    simple, no?

    Whereabouts do I start looking to do this? Windows XP. I've done similar
    previously with .bat files but they look ugly.
    -=rjh=-, May 21, 2006

  2. -=rjh=-

    EMB Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > OK, Windows experts.
    >
    > I want to make things simple for a friend.
    >
    > Before a backup is run, I want to pop up a reminder onscreen for the
    > user to check a removable drive is plugged in, then press OK to proceed.
    > (Ideally, I guess the presence of the drive would also be checked so a
    > reminder might not always be necessary).
    >
    > After the backup, I want to stop the removable drive automatically and
    > pop up a reminder to unplug it.
    >
    > The backup program (Cobian Backup, it is fantastic) has the option to
    > run actions before and after the backup, so this should be relatively
    > simple, no?
    >
    > Whereabouts do I start looking to do this? Windows XP. I've done similar
    > previously with .bat files but they look ugly.

    NET SEND {machinename} "message"
    If you use the local machine name it just pops up a dialog box with
    "message" in it, and requires a mouseclick to kill the message.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 21, 2006

  3. Nathan Mercer, May 21, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:22:29 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > OK, Windows experts.
    >
    > I want to make things simple for a friend.

    Does you friend drive a car? Well there you go, s/he can learn what to do
    before and after the backup.
    Gordon, May 21, 2006
  5. On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:22:29 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > OK, Windows experts.
    >
    > I want to make things simple for a friend.
    >
    > Before a backup is run, I want to pop up a reminder onscreen for the
    > user to check a removable drive is plugged in, then press OK to proceed.
    > (Ideally, I guess the presence of the drive would also be checked so a
    > reminder might not always be necessary).
    >
    > After the backup, I want to stop the removable drive automatically and
    > pop up a reminder to unplug it.
    >
    > The backup program (Cobian Backup, it is fantastic) has the option to
    > run actions before and after the backup, so this should be relatively
    > simple, no?
    >
    > Whereabouts do I start looking to do this? Windows XP. I've done similar
    > previously with .bat files but they look ugly.

    I like: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

    I always crack up when I see those ugly batch files....
    wogers nemesis, May 21, 2006
  6. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:22:29 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> OK, Windows experts.
    >>
    >> I want to make things simple for a friend.
    >>

    > Does you friend drive a car? Well there you go, s/he can learn what to do
    > before and after the backup.

    That is pretty stupid; PCs should make things easier to use, not harder;
    and when it comes to making sure backups happen, things have to be as
    easy as possible, or they get missed.

    Besides, my friend doesn't have time to waste learning crap like that.
    -=rjh=-, May 21, 2006
  7. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Try the MessageBox() function in VBScript/Windows Scripting Host (WSH)
    >
    > Will look much nicer that BATch files in a console
    >
    > Some examples on
    > http://www.vandyke.com/support/crt/scripting_examples.html
    >
    > or www.wshfaq.com

    Thanks, now I'd better dust off my WSH book as well. Groan...

    The scripting isn't so bad, but I've just run into RSM to deal with
    removable storage. Anyone who thinks that *nix documentation is terse
    and obscure hasn't run into RSM yet.
    -=rjh=-, May 22, 2006
  8. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:22:29 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> OK, Windows experts.
    >>
    >> I want to make things simple for a friend.
    >>
    >> Before a backup is run, I want to pop up a reminder onscreen for the
    >> user to check a removable drive is plugged in, then press OK to proceed.
    >> (Ideally, I guess the presence of the drive would also be checked so a
    >> reminder might not always be necessary).
    >>
    >> After the backup, I want to stop the removable drive automatically and
    >> pop up a reminder to unplug it.
    >>
    >> The backup program (Cobian Backup, it is fantastic) has the option to
    >> run actions before and after the backup, so this should be relatively
    >> simple, no?
    >>
    >> Whereabouts do I start looking to do this? Windows XP. I've done similar
    >> previously with .bat files but they look ugly.

    > I like: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

    I keep meaning to look at that, reminds me of Quikmenu from DOS days,
    which could be made to do just about anything (that DOS could do :))

    > I always crack up when I see those ugly batch files....

    I don't mind them really, if you are careful you can make them fairly
    clear but some people find them very disturbing :)
    -=rjh=-, May 22, 2006