    to it.

    I know this isn't the most secure thing to do, but I want to know if it
    is possible. Thanks.

    Gary Chan, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Gary  Chan

    Lem Guest

    Gary Chan wrote:

    > Is it possible to configure Windows XP to automatically join any
    > unsecured wireless network?
    >
    > By automatically, I mean that no user input is required at all. I want
    > Windows to automatically choose a unsecure wireless network and connect
    > to it.
    >
    > I know this isn't the most secure thing to do, but I want to know if it
    > is possible. Thanks.

    Yes. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx
    Assuming you've permitted "Windows to configure my wireless network
    settings" (rather than using whatever configuration utility came with your
    wireless adapter), on the Wireless Networks tab of Wireless Connection
    Properties, click the Advanced button and put a check next to
    "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks."

    Lem, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Gary  Chan

    elchanman Guest

    Thanks Lem, but that isn't exactly what I want to do. I should have
    worded my question better.

    I'm building a device that has no keyboard or mouse and I want it to
    connect to any unsecure wireless network within range. Is this
    possible?

    elchanman, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Gary  Chan

    Lem Guest

    elchanman wrote:

    > Thanks Lem, but that isn't exactly what I want to do. I should have
    > worded my question better.
    >
    > I'm building a device that has no keyboard or mouse and I want it to
    > connect to any unsecure wireless network within range. Is this
    > possible?

    Anything is possible. As long as your "device" has a
    transmitter/receiver that communicates on the assigned radio frequencies
    for wifi, it will "talk" to a wifi access point. Whether it will
    connect or not depnds on whether it performs the handshakes defined by
    the 802.11 protocol. In order to do that, you need appropriately coded
    software or firmware. If the device is WinXP-based, then configure it
    as I described, and then remove the human factors interface (i.e.,
    pointing device and video display). If it's custom firmware, then
    program it to follow the spec.

    You're past my level of knowledge, but I you ought to think of a more
    descriptive subject for your question, and probably a different forum in
    which to ask it.

    You might Google for "war driving" (although most of that stuff will be
    related to software apps such as NetStumbler and Kismet) or "wifi
    hardware design" (see, e.g.,
    http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/0105/Eady174/Eady-174.pdf) or
    whatever best describes what it is you're trying to do. Note that in
    order to connect to "any" network, you probably will have to program a
    routine that will first detect an SSID being beaconed by an AP and then
    use that SSID to begin the association handshake.

    Lem, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Gary  Chan

    elchanman Guest

    Thanks for everything Lem.

    I'll preconfigure the device like you suggested until I find another
    way.

    And I don't think I'm past your level of knowledge, you obviously know
    what you're talking about ;-)

    elchanman, Apr 13, 2006