    networks" do in a wireless policy?

    thanks
    Rick

    Rick, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Hi
    Usually it results with the computer connecting to the strongest Access
    Point that can be found around.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 12, 2007

  3. Rick

    Yi Lu [MSFT] Guest

    If the computer cannot connect to any preferred network, it will
    automatically try to connect to networks that are around. It may end up
    being connected to a unsecured malicious network.

    Yi
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights. Use of sample
    scripts is subject to the terms provided at

    Yi Lu [MSFT], Apr 12, 2007
  4. Rick

    BruceM Guest

    But if you are in a uni or somewhere that has several access points around
    the campus it allows your comp to "roam" & find the strongest signal.
    Usually on a dif channel.

    BruceM, Apr 13, 2007
  5. Rick

    Yi Lu [MSFT] Guest

    The preferred network is at the SSID layer. There can be multiple access
    points using the same SSID. For example, SSID "university" can have access
    points "AP1", "AP2", etc. As long as "university" is your preferred network,
    the computer can roam among "AP1", "AP2". You don't have to enable
    "automatically connect to non-preferred networks".

    Yi Lu [MSFT], Apr 13, 2007
  6. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I see, I am setting this laptop up for a user that has a laptop on our
    domain and we are enforcing a wireless policy. we do not have that
    option checked now so when they leave our campus they cannot connect.
    It is my understanding if I enable this option, when they are on
    campus it will go to the preferred network first. when they leave our
    campus and are in a Hotel, Airport etc, it should find the next best
    network, since it can't find the preferred network.

    Rick

    Rick, Apr 17, 2007