    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Krishna

    krishna, Sep 23, 2005

  2. krishna

    gwtc Guest

    krishna wrote:

    > Hi ,
    > I have a xpi file in my hand.When i locally click the xpi file the
    > plugin gets installed.So I would like to embed this xpi file in a web
    > page and when i go that site it should install the xpi file
    > automatically.As of now when i click the link on the page pointing the
    > xpi it prompts "Save to Disk".
    > I am using Red hat Linux, Firefox 1.0.0.6
    > Any help on how to embed the xpi file on the page would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Krishna

    Try going here http://www.mozdev.org/projects/active.html, and take a
    look at some of the sites listed, and take a look at their source
    code. Maybe those will help and give you a clue or two.

    BTW, have you got software installation turned on?: Tools, Options,
    Web Features, and put a check by "allow web sites to install software"

    gwtc, Sep 23, 2005

  3. krishna wrote:
    > Hi ,
    > I have a xpi file in my hand.When i locally click the xpi file the
    > plugin gets installed.So I would like to embed this xpi file in a web
    > page and when i go that site it should install the xpi file
    > automatically.As of now when i click the link on the page pointing the
    > xpi it prompts "Save to Disk".
    > I am using Red hat Linux, Firefox 1.0.0.6
    > Any help on how to embed the xpi file on the page would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Krishna

    Am I to understand that, if you accomplish this goal, if I were to go to
    your website, it would automatically install a xpi on my browser?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 23, 2005
  4. krishna

    krishna Guest

    Yes that is the goal

    Krishna

    krishna, Sep 24, 2005
  5. krishna

    krishna Guest

    Yes allow web sites to install software and the url of the site is
    added
    I will have a look at the link given by u

    //Krishna

    krishna, Sep 24, 2005
  6. krishna wrote:
    > Yes that is the goal
    >
    > Krishna

    Please quote at least some text, to give context to your reply. Thanks,
    it make it easier to follow the discussion.

    With all due respect, why are you doing this?

    Tools>>Options>>Web Features

    There is a check box for Allow web sites to install software, and a
    whitelist of allowed sites, which you can see by clicking the Allowed
    Sites button. If a user has not allowed your site by placing it in the
    whitelist, FF will refuse to install the xpi no matter what you do.

    The FF developers added this whitelist in order to keep people from
    doing exactly what you are trying to do. Its not a good idea.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 25, 2005