Automatic Downloading MP3 Radio Programs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, May 14, 2005.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    There must be an easier way...

    Currently I listen to the current affairs program at
    http://www.theworld.org/index.shtm,
    which comes out every few days.

    Are there any programs which automaticaly connect and download any new mp3
    files/episodes rather
    than manually going to the site and clinking to download??

    Damos

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.
    Damos, May 14, 2005

  2. Damos

    CSE Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:54:21 +1200, Damos <> wrote:

    >There must be an easier way...
    >
    >Currently I listen to the current affairs program at
    >http://www.theworld.org/index.shtm,
    >which comes out every few days.
    >
    >Are there any programs which automaticaly connect and download any new mp3
    >files/episodes rather
    >than manually going to the site and clinking to download??
    >

    >Damos

    Yes this does it all

    Total Recorder Pro

    http://www.highcriteria.com/productfr.htm

    Tricky to set up, but has stacks of features..

    http://www.highcriteria.com/faq_tr.htm

    Manual

    http://www.highcriteria.com/download/TotalRecorder.pdf
    CSE, May 14, 2005

  3. Damos

    -=rjh=- Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:54:21 +1200, Damos <> wrote:
    >

    >>There must be an easier way...
    >>
    >>Currently I listen to the current affairs program at
    >>http://www.theworld.org/index.shtm,
    >>which comes out every few days.
    >>
    >>Are there any programs which automaticaly connect and download any new mp3
    >>files/episodes rather
    >>than manually going to the site and clinking to download??
    >>

    >>Damos

    > Yes this does it all
    >

    > Total Recorder Pro
    >

    > http://www.highcriteria.com/productfr.htm
    >

    > Tricky to set up, but has stacks of features..
    >

    > http://www.highcriteria.com/faq_tr.htm
    >

    > Manual
    >
    > http://www.highcriteria.com/download/TotalRecorder.pdf

    Nope, TRP records streams, the OP wants to download a file.

    Probably best way to do this is use the RSS/Podcasts (my god I hate that
    name) feeds available which include audio.
    -=rjh=-, May 14, 2005

    http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php
    Nathan Mercer, May 14, 2005
  5. Damos

    samb Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:54:21 +1200, Damos wrote:

    > There must be an easier way...
    >
    > Currently I listen to the current affairs program at
    > http://www.theworld.org/index.shtm,
    > which comes out every few days.
    >
    > Are there any programs which automaticaly connect and download any new mp3
    > files/episodes rather
    > than manually going to the site and clinking to download??

    I concur with Rogers reply, Total Recorder is one of the best pieces of
    software I have ever used. Cost me about $US20 some years ago with free
    upgrades ever since.

    I use it to automatically dial into the BBC website several times a week,
    usually at 2.00 am in the morning whilst I am asleep, and it records the
    programs I need - on the BBC website these are available in streaming
    audio format, it then logs off at a settable time and makes an mp3 file
    (or wav etc. etc. if you wish). It names the file to a date and
    descriptive title (settable within the program scheduler) and saves it to
    a chosen folder.

    Eventually I open the folder and there are several of the files waiting to
    be listened too at a convenient time, all with no direct input from me.

    As Roger says it is slightly difficult to set up, but I am no genius and I
    can manage it by trial & error during the day and when it all works just
    change the scheduler time setting to during the night.

    The unregistered version only records for a short time (20-30 seconds??)
    but it would give you a flavour.

    Sam
    samb, May 14, 2005