Automatic Disk Defragmenter in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jack, Jul 24, 2008.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I'm running Vista Ultimate 64x with 4GB memory, 500GB HD and most
    of the bells and whistles..

    I like Vista but sometimes notice it slow down to almost a crawl at times
    and I've never been able to figure out why. When it happens I check
    the throughput speed on the Net and usually get between 8MB and 12MB.

    There was an article recently about automatic defragging in Windows Vista
    so I checked and sure enough, my system was set to automatically defrag
    every Wednesday at 1pm..

    Thinking that might be the reason for the slowdown, I've unchecked the
    automatic defrag option (although it is recommended) and want to see
    if this slowdown will continue.

    Is there any reason I can't do a manual defrag periodically as I used to
    do with XP? Any unknown problems I might face by doing it manually?

    Thanks for your comments..

    Jack, Jul 24, 2008

  2. Jack

    Carl Guest

    There will be no window displayed of defrag, like there has been in earlier
    versions of windows. I have clicked manual defrag before, and it runs in the
    background. I now use Diskeeper, since it has been released for 64bit OS. I
    can't fault either defrag options.

    Carl, Jul 25, 2008

  3. Jack

    DiskeeperRep Guest

    Hi Jack,

    If you are interested in a fully automatic defragmentation solution that
    works in the background in real-time, using only unutilized system resources,
    please check out the free trial versions of Diskeeper 2008 at
    http://www.diskeeper.com These are fully functional and can be used freely
    for 30 days.

    InvisiTasking technology is designed to make the defragmentation process as
    transparent as possible to the user, so that normal computing activity is
    never affected or slowed down when defragmentation occurs in the background,
    even on relatively "low-end" hardware.

    For more information on InvisiTasking and it's effect on day-to-day
    operation of the system, please see this white paper
    http://downloads.diskeeper.com/pdf/InvisiTasking-White-Paper.pdf
    from the Diskeeper Knowledge Center
    http://www.diskeeper.com/products/documentation/documentation.asp

    Best Regards :)
    ---------------------------
    Representative
    Diskeeper Corporation
    ---------------------------

    DiskeeperRep, Jul 25, 2008
  4. Jack

    IT Lite Guest

    I have an xp pro laptop that would NOT defrag, but finally lock up. The
    ONLY thing that worked to fix it was Diskeeper Pro, which fixed the MFT
    (Master File Table) so it could defrag properly. I would not be without
    Diskeeper Pro Premiere. Been using it for over a year on 2 systems. A little
    pricey for the Pro Premiere, but the best single purpose utility I have seen
    for MS systems for over 20 years of computing on PCs.

    IT Lite, Jul 25, 2008