    pword to get back in several times a day. How do I disable the auto
    lock? I was told I could do this even though my comp is part of the
    network.
    Tim Howard, Mar 13, 2008

  2. Tim Howard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:27:44 -0700, Tim Howard
    <> wrote:

    >At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few
    >minutes of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type my
    >pword to get back in several times a day. How do I disable the auto
    >lock? I was told I could do this even though my comp is part of the
    >network.

    Windows?

    Mac?

    Linux?

    You could probably google something like say inactivity password xp or
    inactivity password vista .
    Evan Platt, Mar 13, 2008

  3. Tim Howard

    Tim Howard Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:27:44 -0700, Tim Howard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few
    >> minutes of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type my
    >> pword to get back in several times a day. How do I disable the auto
    >> lock? I was told I could do this even though my comp is part of the
    >> network.

    > Windows?
    >
    > Mac?
    >
    > Linux?

    Windows XP
    Tim Howard, Mar 13, 2008
  4. Tim Howard

    Tim Howard Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Tim Howard wrote:
    >
    >> At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few minutes
    >> of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type my pword to get
    >> back in several times a day. How do I disable the auto lock? I was told
    >> I could do this even though my comp is part of the network.

    > Ask your IT guys. :)

    No because they are the ones that did it. They will tell me its policy
    or something.
    Tim Howard, Mar 13, 2008
  5. Tim Howard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:52:22 -0700, Tim Howard
    <> wrote:

    >Windows XP

    Ok... Now read the rest of my post that you cut out.
    Evan Platt, Mar 13, 2008

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2008
  7. Tim Howard wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Tim Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>> At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few
    >>> minutes of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type my
    >>> pword to get back in several times a day. How do I disable the auto
    >>> lock? I was told I could do this even though my comp is part of the
    >>> network.

    >> Ask your IT guys. :)
    >>

    > No because they are the ones that did it. They will tell me its policy or
    > something.

    Perhaps that was my point, eh? That's their machine, not yours.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2008
  8. Tim Howard

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "Tim Howard" <> wrote in message
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:27:44 -0700, Tim Howard
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few
    >>> minutes of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type my
    >>> pword to get back in several times a day. How do I disable the auto
    >>> lock? I was told I could do this even though my comp is part of the
    >>> network.

    Sounds like your typing skills may be similar to mine. Save pw in a file
    w/inconspicuous name; add a couple of extra characters at either end;
    copy/paste, skipping extra characters. s
    sdlomi2, Mar 13, 2008
  9. sdlomi2 wrote:

    > "Tim Howard" <> wrote in message
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    > Sounds like your typing skills may be similar to mine. Save pw in a
    > file
    > w/inconspicuous name; add a couple of extra characters at either end;
    > copy/paste, skipping extra characters.

    It's not an accuracy issue; he wants to bypass IT's password requirement
    completely. Read what he actually wrote.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2008
  10. Tim Howard

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > sdlomi2 wrote:
    >

    >> "Tim Howard" <> wrote in message

    >> Sounds like your typing skills may be similar to mine. Save pw in a
    >> file
    >> w/inconspicuous name; add a couple of extra characters at either end;
    >> copy/paste, skipping extra characters.

    > It's not an accuracy issue; he wants to bypass IT's password requirement
    > completely. Read what he actually wrote.

    I accept the admonishment constructively, Blinky--but I really AM
    thumbsy enough that any time I can copy/paste, it helps me considerably.
    Admittedly I was looking too much from my own perspective: got a spinal
    prob. that causes some degree of pain to use the keyboard ;( Any time I
    can subsitute the mouse for a few k-strokes, I do it ;) We all prolly
    expect him to rub IT raw, if he does ANYthing! S
    sdlomi2, Mar 13, 2008
  11. sdlomi2 wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> sdlomi2 wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Tim Howard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like your typing skills may be similar to mine. Save pw in a
    >>> file
    >>> w/inconspicuous name; add a couple of extra characters at either end;
    >>> copy/paste, skipping extra characters.

    >> It's not an accuracy issue; he wants to bypass IT's password
    >> requirement completely. Read what he actually wrote.

    > I accept the admonishment constructively, Blinky--but I really AM
    > thumbsy enough that any time I can copy/paste, it helps me considerably.

    Hey, me too. Computers are for doing things *for* us. That's one of
    them.

    I was yakking with someone this evening that seems to be afraid of filters
    for their news client. She'd rather "just ignore" spam and other crap
    herself. Damn -- her flippin' software can do that for her SO much better
    -- faster and more efficiently. Duh!

    > Admittedly I was looking too much from my own perspective: got a spinal
    > prob. that causes some degree of pain to use the keyboard ;( Any time
    > I can subsitute the mouse for a few k-strokes, I do it ;) We all
    > prolly expect him to rub IT raw, if he does ANYthing! S

    I'm with you on alla that. :) He just needs to stop thinking of that has
    his computer. His computer is at home. Unless his wife/grilf is IT
    there. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2008
  12. Tim Howard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Tim Howard wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Tim Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>> At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few
    >>> minutes
    >>> of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type my pword
    >>> to get
    >>> back in several times a day. How do I disable the auto lock? I was
    >>> told
    >>> I could do this even though my comp is part of the network.

    >> Ask your IT guys. :)
    >>

    > No because they are the ones that did it. They will tell me its policy
    > or something.

    Yeah go ahead and circumvent the IT security policy. What do those guys
    know any how?

    After you've done that never leave your computer unattended unless you
    want some passing by prankster to fire off an email from your system to
    your boss telling him you screwed his wife last night.
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 13, 2008
  13. Tim Howard

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:28:22 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Tim Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Ask your IT guys. :)
    >>>

    >> No because they are the ones that did it. They will tell me its policy or
    >> something.

    >Perhaps that was my point, eh? That's their machine, not yours.

    And if they're under HIPAA regulations it'll be his ass on a platter. :)

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my
    Mara, Mar 13, 2008
  14. Tim Howard

    Alang Guest

    13/03/2008 Tim Howard wrote:

    > At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few
    > minutes of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type
    > my pword to get back in several times a day. How do I disable the
    > auto lock? I was told I could do this even though my comp is part
    > of the network.

    Unless you have administrator privileges you can't change anything.
    The automatic log off is so managers and other pillocks don't leave
    PCs unnattended for too long thus permitting secret agents to nick
    all the company secrets
    Alang, Mar 13, 2008
  15. Tim Howard

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Tim Howard" wrote in message
    > At work my computer has been set to automatically lock after a few
    > minutes of inactivity. I just find it annoying to have to re-type
    > my pword to get back in several times a day. How do I disable the
    > auto lock? I was told I could do this even though my comp is part
    > of the network.

    I doubt it is just a few minutes. More likely it is 15 minutes. You
    will need to contact your IT admin folks to find out if they are
    willing to provided tailored GPOs (group policies) and push one at you
    that uses a longer idle timeout interval for the screen blanker.
    After all, if it really interferes with your productivity at work then
    you should issue an official complaint to your boss to request a
    change in IT or company policy.

    If your domain login puts you in a "local" administrator group for
    your particular host or group of hosts which includes yours, then you
    have admin privileges on YOUR host and can alter the registry setting
    for the screen saver's idle timeout value. Even if you have a local
    admin account on your own host, that won't help when you login under
    the domain. If you do get admin privileges on your host when you
    login under the domain, you can create a .reg file to put into your
    Start -> Programs -> Startup group to change the value in the
    registry. The policies get pushed when you login to put values into
    the registry and then you run the .reg file (regedit.exe /s
    <file>.reg) to change it to something else. If you do this, make sure
    you notify the IT folks and have their permission to do this;
    otherwise, violating company policies can be cause for termination
    (perhaps not by itself but if you are violating this policy then you
    are probably committing other company offenses, too).
    VanguardLH, Mar 13, 2008
  16. Tim Howard

    VanguardLH Guest

    > Tim Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Ask your IT guys. :)
    >>>

    >> No because they are the ones that did it. They will tell me its
    >> policy or
    >> something.

    > Perhaps that was my point, eh? That's their machine, not yours.

    He doesn't care. He is not a cooperative employee. The IT folks
    probably received mandates from Management over which they have no
    choice whether or not to implement those mandates. He doesn't want to
    bother going up the chain of command to get Management to change the
    policy by proving this particular policy is interfering with his work
    and reducing productivity - probably because it doesn't impact his
    *real* work. He wants it his way although he trades his time for
    their money, sits in their office while consuming their resources, and
    uses their property but thinks he has special rights so that their
    property is somehow magically his property. If he thought using
    badges to gain entry through passlocked doors was a nuisance then he'd
    be asking how to circumvent that security, too.
    VanguardLH, Mar 13, 2008