Automatic cache cleaning extension?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by FleaBittenDog, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
    Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 28, 2008

  2. FleaBittenDog wrote:
    > Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
    > Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox
    and see what you come up with

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 28, 2008

  3. "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    wrote in message news:fnl1rp$8o5$...
    > FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
    >> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    > look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see what
    > you come up with

    Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 28, 2008
  4. FleaBittenDog

    Ian Whyte Guest

    "FleaBittenDog" <> wrote in

    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    > <> wrote in message
    >> FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >>> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out
    >>> the
    >>> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    >> look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see
    >> what you come up with
    >>

    > Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

    If you download the add on Fasterfox you can right click and take the
    option to clear cache whenever you like.

    HTH

    Ian

    Ian Whyte, Jan 29, 2008
  5. FleaBittenDog

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:16:32 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:

    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    > wrote in message news:fnl1rp$8o5$...
    >> FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >>> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
    >>> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    >> look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see what
    >> you come up with

    > Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

    It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
    a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
    <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 29, 2008
  6. "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:16:32 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >
    >> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >> <>
    >> wrote in message news:fnl1rp$8o5$...
    >>>
    >>> look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see what
    >>> you come up with

    >> Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

    > It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
    > a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
    > <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>
    >
    > --
    > Rom

    I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
    Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.

    Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a lot
    of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is another
    reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out the cache
    when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from using up too
    much memory.

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 29, 2008
  7. >That is another reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans
    >out the cache when the browser is restarted.

    I should have wrote....."it cleans out the cache when the browser is
    closed."

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 29, 2008
  8. FleaBittenDog

    Rom Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:52:50 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:

    > I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
    > Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.

    That seems the same as what the Clear Cache button from Toolbar Extras
    does.

    > Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a lot
    > of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is another
    > reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out the cache
    > when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from using up too
    > much memory.

    I used to clear the cache etc. when closing on another older slower
    system, and also didn't leave Firefox running when not using it. Now
    it's not really a problem as this system isn't lacking in memory.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 29, 2008
  9. FleaBittenDog

    Dan C Guest

    FleaBittenDog wrote:
    > "Rom" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:16:32 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >>> <>
    >>> Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

    >> It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
    >> a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
    >> <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rom

    > I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
    > Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.
    >
    > Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a lot
    > of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is another
    > reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out the cache
    > when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from using up too
    > much memory.

    Has it helped noticeably??

    Dan C, Jan 29, 2008
  10. "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    > FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >> "Rom" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
    >>> a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
    >>> <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rom

    >> I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
    >> Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.
    >>
    >> Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a
    >> lot of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is
    >> another reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out
    >> the cache when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from
    >> using up too much memory.

    > Has it helped noticeably??

    I suppose Firefox doesn't crash as often, now that I monitor the cache
    more frequently. But it isn't a huge difference.

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 29, 2008
  11. FleaBittenDog

    dino Guest

    FleaBittenDog wrote:
    > Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
    > Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    Am I missing something or does FF not ship with this as a default option
    under clearing private data each time it's closed down?

    dino, Jan 29, 2008
  12. "dino" <> wrote in message
    > FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
    >> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    > Am I missing something or does FF not ship with this as a default option
    > under clearing private data each time it's closed down?

    Yes, but I was referring to an extension that would clean out the
    cache automatically at specific intervals while the browser is still open.

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 30, 2008
  13. FleaBittenDog

    Ed Mullen Guest

    FleaBittenDog wrote:
    > "Rom" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:16:32 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >>> <>
    >>> Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

    >> It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
    >> a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
    >> <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rom

    > I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
    > Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.
    >
    > Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a lot
    > of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is another
    > reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out the cache
    > when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from using up too
    > much memory.

    What does clearing the disk cache have to do with the amount of RAM FF uses?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 30, 2008
  14. FleaBittenDog

    Ed Mullen Guest

    FleaBittenDog wrote:
    > "dino" <> wrote in message
    >> FleaBittenDog wrote:
    >>> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
    >>> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

    >> Am I missing something or does FF not ship with this as a default option
    >> under clearing private data each time it's closed down?

    > Yes, but I was referring to an extension that would clean out the
    > cache automatically at specific intervals while the browser is still open.

    Why do this? You can already specify the amount of disk space used by
    the cache. After that limit is reached FF deletes older files
    automatically. Your disk cache will never exceed that level. You can
    even turn the cache off by setting the amount of space used to zero.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 30, 2008
  15. >> Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a
    >> lot of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is
    >> another reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out
    >> the cache when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from
    >> using up too much memory.

    > What does clearing the disk cache have to do with the amount of RAM FF
    > uses?

    When I use the 'Clear Cache Button' extension, the amount of system
    memory Firefox uses is immediately reduced by 20,000 to 40,000K, as reported
    by Task Manager.

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 30, 2008
  16. "FleaBittenDog" <> wrote in message
    >>> Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a
    >>> lot of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is
    >>> another reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out
    >>> the cache when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from
    >>> using up too much memory.

    >> What does clearing the disk cache have to do with the amount of RAM FF
    >> uses?
    >>

    > When I use the 'Clear Cache Button' extension, the amount of system
    > memory Firefox uses is immediately reduced by 20,000 to 40,000K, as
    > reported by Task Manager.

    My wording was a bit clumsy. I meant that when I use the 'Clear
    Cache Button' extension, the amount of system memory used by Firefox is
    reduced anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000K.

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 30, 2008
  17. "FleaBittenDog" <> wrote in message
    > "FleaBittenDog" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> What does clearing the disk cache have to do with the amount of RAM FF
    >>> uses?
    >>>

    >> When I use the 'Clear Cache Button' extension, the amount of system
    >> memory Firefox uses is immediately reduced by 20,000 to 40,000K, as
    >> reported by Task Manager.
    >>

    > My wording was a bit clumsy. I meant that when I use the 'Clear
    > Cache Button' extension, the amount of system memory used by Firefox is
    > reduced anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000K.

    For example, Firefox is currently using 126,000K of memory. I use the
    'Clear Cache Button' extension, and now the number has been reduced to
    75,000K. Of course, this reduction is only temporary.

    FleaBittenDog, Jan 30, 2008
  18. FleaBittenDog

    Ed Mullen Guest

    FleaBittenDog wrote:
    > "FleaBittenDog" <> wrote in message
    >> "FleaBittenDog" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> When I use the 'Clear Cache Button' extension, the amount of system
    >>> memory Firefox uses is immediately reduced by 20,000 to 40,000K, as
    >>> reported by Task Manager.
    >>>

    >> My wording was a bit clumsy. I meant that when I use the 'Clear
    >> Cache Button' extension, the amount of system memory used by Firefox is
    >> reduced anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000K.
    >>

    > For example, Firefox is currently using 126,000K of memory. I use the
    > 'Clear Cache Button' extension, and now the number has been reduced to
    > 75,000K. Of course, this reduction is only temporary.

    Fine, but I suspect that extension is clearing both the /memory/ *and*
    the /disk/ caches. The original post seemed to only relate to the disk
    cache.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net