    any help appreciated -

    note - to run on windows xp box rather then linux programs please

    Andrew

    Andrew, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Andrew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    news:Tb_ub.8551$...
    > Ive seen a thread a while ago - but i dont have that anymore.
    > Someone was asking about email clients that can automatically save
    > attacments - rather then doing it manually.
    >
    > I know MS outlook can - with a plugin - but im not yet keen to use that
    > program, Does anyone know what clients can?
    >
    > Something similar to outlook express - basic and simple, Dont want to use

    ms
    > outlook as its full of stuff i dont want to use - as in calenders and to

    do
    > lists and stuff like that
    >
    > any help appreciated -
    >
    > note - to run on windows xp box rather then linux programs please
    >
    > Andrew

    Great stuff. So if you get a virus in an attachment (which is hardly
    unusual) you want your PC to automatically save the bastard?
    You might as try driving round town with your eyes shut, give you a chance
    to get some sleep while driving along.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Andrew

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:39:21 +1300, in article
    <Tb_ub.8551$>, Andrew wrote:

    > Ive seen a thread a while ago - but i dont have that anymore.
    > Someone was asking about email clients that can automatically save
    > attacments - rather then doing it manually.
    >
    > I know MS outlook can - with a plugin - but im not yet keen to use that
    > program, Does anyone know what clients can?

    Forte Agent can do so. http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

    It is a built-in option (no plug-in required).
    You need to change an option setting to turn this option on.

    Group -> Default Properties -> Receive Files
    [x] Save attachments automatically

    and optionally also (if you want it)

    [x] After saving an attachment, remove it from the message

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > > Ive seen a thread a while ago - but i dont have that anymore.
    > > Someone was asking about email clients that can automatically save
    > > attacments - rather then doing it manually.
    > >
    > > I know MS outlook can - with a plugin - but im not yet keen to use that
    > > program, Does anyone know what clients can?
    > >
    > > Something similar to outlook express - basic and simple, Dont want to

    use
    > ms
    > > outlook as its full of stuff i dont want to use - as in calenders and to

    > do
    > > lists and stuff like that
    > >
    > > any help appreciated -
    > >
    > > note - to run on windows xp box rather then linux programs please
    > >
    > > Andrew

    > Great stuff. So if you get a virus in an attachment (which is hardly
    > unusual) you want your PC to automatically save the bastard?
    > You might as try driving round town with your eyes shut, give you a chance
    > to get some sleep while driving along.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Not quite, I want it done via message rules ie mail from this person with
    this subject and this particular attachement - save it in that folder
    All the rest stay as attachments

    Andrew, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:39:21 +1300, in article
    > <Tb_ub.8551$>, Andrew wrote:
    >
    > > Ive seen a thread a while ago - but i dont have that anymore.
    > > Someone was asking about email clients that can automatically save
    > > attacments - rather then doing it manually.
    > >
    > > I know MS outlook can - with a plugin - but im not yet keen to use that
    > > program, Does anyone know what clients can?

    > Forte Agent can do so. http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
    >
    > It is a built-in option (no plug-in required).
    > You need to change an option setting to turn this option on.
    >
    > Group -> Default Properties -> Receive Files
    > [x] Save attachments automatically
    >
    > and optionally also (if you want it)
    >
    > [x] After saving an attachment, remove it from the message

    Is that via message rules? - or will that do it to every single attachment?

    Andrew, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Ive seen a thread a while ago - but i dont have that anymore.
    > Someone was asking about email clients that can automatically save
    > attacments - rather then doing it manually.
    >
    > I know MS outlook can - with a plugin - but im not yet keen to use that
    > program, Does anyone know what clients can?
    >
    > Something similar to outlook express - basic and simple, Dont want to use

    ms
    > outlook as its full of stuff i dont want to use - as in calenders and to

    do
    > lists and stuff like that
    >
    > any help appreciated -
    >
    > note - to run on windows xp box rather then linux programs please
    >
    > Andrew

    Reply to myself - So far ive tried endura (didnt like it) and mozilla mail -
    looked good, didnt play much
    Decided to just try ms outlook - found the plug in - called EZdetach. Is the
    exact feature:
    EZDetach Outlook custom rule action:

    EZDetach also implements an Outlook custom rule action for automatic

    attachment saving.

    However, This is where the problems start, I have approx 2.5 gig of email,
    When i import from OE into outlook it only imports 2500 odd emails instead
    of the 17000 odd its meant to in the inbox folder - Most other folders are
    also missing email, Everything comes in up to 15th july 2002 - nothing
    after that

    So i thought i would export from OE to a pst file and it does exactly the
    same thing, Any idea why? it does 1.3 gig of the 2.5 that is there. Im
    thinking i may need a 3rd party app to look at all the dbx files and convert
    them into a single pst file, Did a bit of googling and did not come up with
    much

    Does anyone know of an app that can help me?
    Do you think its caused by too much email or just the program being nasty to
    me

    Any help is muchly appreciated!

    Andrew

    Andrew, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Andrew wrote:

    > Does anyone know of an app that can help me?
    > Do you think its caused by too much email or just the program being nasty to
    > me
    >
    > Any help is muchly appreciated!

    Sure

    Its a good idea to save all your email in an local IMAP server that way
    if you do switch clients you dont have any issues with importing /
    exporting.

    To get there in the meantime, export as the lowest common denominator
    which all mail software should handle, mbox format, the default format
    for most software actually. And set up a little temporary pop server
    that uses the mbox file as its spool.

    Use any mail client to check the email from the pop server, and save it
    into folders on the imap server.

    I just did that a week or so ago while "upgrading" from mozilla to
    thunderbird, (i know i could have just copied the mbox files from one
    directory to the other but i wanted to go the IMAP way anyway..).

    It wasnt as huge a mission as it sounds at all.

    Kurt Häusler, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Andrew

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:39:21 +1300, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >Ive seen a thread a while ago - but i dont have that anymore.
    >Someone was asking about email clients that can automatically save
    >attacments - rather then doing it manually.
    >
    >I know MS outlook can - with a plugin - but im not yet keen to use that
    >program, Does anyone know what clients can?
    >
    >Something similar to outlook express - basic and simple, Dont want to use ms
    >outlook as its full of stuff i dont want to use - as in calenders and to do
    >lists and stuff like that
    >
    >any help appreciated -
    >
    >note - to run on windows xp box rather then linux programs please
    >
    >Andrew

    I guess the plugin for Outlook you're referring to is the Sperry
    Software one.

    http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Attachment-Save.asp

    Does anyone know if there is an NZ distributor? I wouldn't mind buying
    it but I don't really want to order something from the US if I can
    help it.

    Dogg, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of an app that can help me?
    > > Do you think its caused by too much email or just the program being

    nasty to
    > > me
    > >
    > > Any help is muchly appreciated!

    > Sure
    >
    > Its a good idea to save all your email in an local IMAP server that way
    > if you do switch clients you dont have any issues with importing /
    > exporting.

    Thanks for your suggestion - Was almost about to do that, But i dont really
    need an imap server as its only this machine that actually uses the email

    I still havnt managed to get all my mail into outlook, however ive decided
    to start using it anyhow, And ill just use the email thats still in OE as my
    archived stuff and start fresh with outlook, I have installed the plugin to
    allow me to use filters to manage attachments, and it works brilliantly -
    quite impressed actually!

    I use newsgroups from OE, So now that ive stopped using that, im looking at
    a new newsgroup client, Im thinking Agent - Is that a good choice? - is
    there any other decent ones out there?

    Cheers

    Andrew, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Andrew

    Dave Taylor Guest

    > I use newsgroups from OE, So now that ive stopped using that, im
    > looking at a new newsgroup client, Im thinking Agent - Is that a good
    > choice? - is there any other decent ones out there?
    >
    > Cheers

    I would recommend Xnews. It is very fast and has some great features,
    once the learning curve is dealt with.
    Get it here:
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    A quick how to here:
    http://www.slyck.com/xnews.php?page=1

    Glad you are getting along with Outlook OK. With so much email you will
    want to look into the 2GB PST file limit.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 21, 2003