Automatic Anamorphic Stretching in DVD studio Pro

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by pheo, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. pheo

    pheo Guest

    I recently recorded a widescreen television program from my HDTV tuner
    to my dvd recorder. The resulting disk works great playing it on that
    machine and displayed on my widescreen TV. I wanted to play it later
    on my regular bedroom TV on a different DVD player. I get a squished
    anamorphic display that cannot be corrected by changing display
    settings for the dvd player. It also plays squished when played on my
    computer.

    I am assuming there is nothing that can be done with this disk to make
    it work on those things, but is there a way I convert it in DVD Studio
    Pro, so that it will automatically spread like the commercial ones
    do?

    I have been able to rip the M2V's and AC3's from the disk, but don't
    know what setting to use to get the result I want. The choices in DVD
    Studio Pro, are 4:3, 16:9 pan-scan, 16:9 letterbox, and 16:9 pan-scan
    & letterbox.

    pw

    pheo, Dec 26, 2007

  2. pheo

    Guest

    pheo wrote:

    > I recently recorded a widescreen television program from my HDTV tuner
    > to my dvd recorder. The resulting disk works great playing it on that
    > machine and displayed on my widescreen TV. I wanted to play it later
    > on my regular bedroom TV on a different DVD player. I get a squished
    > anamorphic display that cannot be corrected by changing display
    > settings for the dvd player. It also plays squished when played on my
    > computer.
    >
    > I am assuming there is nothing that can be done with this disk to make
    > it work on those things, but is there a way I convert it in DVD Studio
    > Pro, so that it will automatically spread like the commercial ones
    > do?
    >
    > I have been able to rip the M2V's and AC3's from the disk, but don't
    > know what setting to use to get the result I want. The choices in DVD
    > Studio Pro, are 4:3, 16:9 pan-scan, 16:9 letterbox, and 16:9 pan-scan
    > & letterbox.
    >
    > pw

    As you have discovered, some DVD recorders do not properly set the 16:9
    flag.
    Panasonics only do it on RAM discs. What you need to do, is re-author
    the
    the disc with a program like TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will allow you to
    set the 16:9 flag so the disc will play properly on an older TV. A side
    benefit is you will be able to add a decent menu and place chapter marks
    exactly where you want them. The video is not re-encoded, so the video
    quality remains the same as the original disc.
    -Bill

    , Dec 26, 2007

  3. pheo

    Bill's News Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > pheo wrote:
    >>
    >> I recently recorded a widescreen television program from my
    >> HDTV tuner
    >> to my dvd recorder. The resulting disk works great playing it
    >> on that
    >> machine and displayed on my widescreen TV. I wanted to play
    >> it later
    >> on my regular bedroom TV on a different DVD player. I get a
    >> squished
    >> anamorphic display that cannot be corrected by changing
    >> display
    >> settings for the dvd player. It also plays squished when
    >> played on my
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> I am assuming there is nothing that can be done with this
    >> disk to make
    >> it work on those things, but is there a way I convert it in
    >> DVD Studio
    >> Pro, so that it will automatically spread like the commercial
    >> ones
    >> do?
    >>
    >> I have been able to rip the M2V's and AC3's from the disk,
    >> but don't
    >> know what setting to use to get the result I want. The
    >> choices in DVD
    >> Studio Pro, are 4:3, 16:9 pan-scan, 16:9 letterbox, and 16:9
    >> pan-scan
    >> & letterbox.
    >>
    >> pw

    > As you have discovered, some DVD recorders do not properly set
    > the 16:9
    > flag.
    > Panasonics only do it on RAM discs. What you need to do, is
    > re-author
    > the
    > the disc with a program like TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will
    > allow you to
    > set the 16:9 flag so the disc will play properly on an older
    > TV. A side
    > benefit is you will be able to add a decent menu and place
    > chapter marks
    > exactly where you want them. The video is not re-encoded, so
    > the video
    > quality remains the same as the original disc.
    > -Bill

    Or use a free program, such as IFOEdit, to merely change the
    flag - a few seconds of processing time.

    Bill's News, Dec 29, 2007