    Am I doing something wrong or should I not expect the focusing capabilities
    of my Maxxum 9s on the Dimage 7Hi.

    Richard L. Dunklee, Jr.
    Rick Dunklee, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Rick Dunklee

    eeb912 Guest

    "Rick Dunklee" <> wrote in message
    news:krS2b.4873$...
    > I just purchased a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. Some background. I am not

    converting
    > to DIgal but just wanted a good Digital for pictures of my Dog, Grandkids
    > and trains. I have 2 Minolta Maxxum 9s I use for print and love both.
    >
    > I tried to take some pictures of my dog jumping into my pool yesterday in
    > good lighting conditions. It took at least 1.5 to 2 seconds for the

    Dimage
    > to autofocus. I missed all of the great shots. I also found that when it
    > says it it is focused, it is still focusing. I have set the focus to
    > continious and the exposure to the sports setting.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong or should I not expect the focusing

    capabilities
    > of my Maxxum 9s on the Dimage 7Hi.
    >
    > Richard L. Dunklee, Jr.

    Sorry, the answer is you should not expect the focusing capabilities of your
    Maxxum 9 on the 7Hi.

    Liz
    eeb912, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Rick Dunklee

    bmuller Guest

    > Am I doing something wrong or should I not expect the focusing

    capabilities
    > of my Maxxum 9s on the Dimage 7Hi.

    The autofocus on the 7hi is slower than most of us would like. Unlike some
    posters, I have found the focus to be accurate when properly used. However,
    when using the camera in time critical situations, I always use it in manual
    mode, and set the focus to an intermediate distance, or the distance the
    subject is expected to be. Due to the smaller sensor area, and the smaller
    focal lengths of the optics vis a vis 35 mm, the depth of focus is
    proportionately deeper, helping a lot with focus. In fact, it is sometimes
    difficult to get the background out of focus when you want that effect.
    bmuller, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Rick Dunklee

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I find that if I use spot focus I get sharper results. It takes a while to get
    used to the camera, especially going directly from film to digital.

    I also found that I have to be carefull of camera shake when I use the LCD
    because when you use the camera away from your body hands move quite a bit more
    then if the camera is pressed against your face.
    By the way, what size are you saving the pictures? when you want fast action
    you might want to try a smaller size so that the camera will write the picture
    faster and be ready for the next shot.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Aug 27, 2003