    we've got to move onto xp now.

    thanks,
    matt.

    Matt, May 16, 2004

  2. Matt

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:17:58 +0100, "Matt" <9.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Is there any way to get and xp machine to use auoexec when you boot up. Its
    >for a work project and what we want to do is copy a "good" registry into
    >system32\config

    Its too late then, the registry is already in use.

    > every time it boots up because the customer won't be able to
    >shut the machine down, it'll just get unplugged at the mains which sometimes
    >corrupts the registry. We've done this on 98 machines for years now but
    >we've got to move onto xp now.

    If you used NTFS, this is unlikely to happen. (on good hardware)

    Derek

    derek / nul, May 16, 2004

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    we've got about 70 on test, only 5 have come up with the same error. They're
    running ok, switch it off then switch it back on and it comes up with a
    black screen saying something like "windows\system32\config\system is
    missing or corrupt Use your windows cd to fix it etc".

    Matt, May 16, 2004
  4. Matt

    derek / nul Guest

    Look for hardware problems

    derek / nul, May 16, 2004
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    there isn't any obvious problems. All the pc's have exactly the same
    hardware and are cloned from the same "master" drive and everything seems to
    work fine on them, sound, lan, vga etc etc. On the ones that have errored, I
    just re-cloned the hard drive and they've been ok so far.

    Matt, May 16, 2004
  6. Matt

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Matt" <9.co.uk> wrote in

    > there isn't any obvious problems. All the pc's have exactly the same
    > hardware and are cloned from the same "master" drive and everything
    > seems to work fine on them, sound, lan, vga etc etc. On the ones that
    > have errored, I just re-cloned the hard drive and they've been ok so
    > far.
    >
    > "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    >> Look for hardware problems
    >>
    >> On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:43:56 +0100, "Matt"
    >> <9.co.uk>

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> >we've got about 70 on test, only 5 have come up with the same error.

    > They're
    >> >running ok, switch it off then switch it back on and it comes up
    >> >with a black screen saying something like
    >> >"windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt Use your
    >> >windows cd to fix it etc".
    >> >

    >> >"derek / nul" <> wrote in message

    > up.
    >> >Its

    > into

    >> >sometimes

    > but

    If you're getting the corrupt message on the registry, then it could due
    to a couple of situations that can happen on the machine. You trying to
    do some kind of fix at boot *jacking* with the registry in an autoexe is
    not going to resolve the issue.

    You need to search Google or go to the MS Knowledge Base about the
    particular corrupt registry message for the proper solution and implement
    it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 16, 2004
  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    the solution on the ms kb is to boot the windows xp cd into the recovery
    console and overwrite the files in the system32\config folder with good
    ones. Thats what I want to do every time it boots.

    Matt, May 16, 2004
  8. Matt

    Matt Guest

    What is the first file to that is executed to run XP? Maybe I could make a
    bootable ntfsdos cd which would copy the system files over and then run
    windows, I would just have to leave the cd in the drive all of the time.
    Is it ntoskrnl.exe??

    matt.

    Matt, May 16, 2004
  9. Matt

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Matt" <9.co.uk> wrote in

    > What is the first file to that is executed to run XP? Maybe I could
    > make a bootable ntfsdos cd which would copy the system files over and
    > then run windows, I would just have to leave the cd in the drive all
    > of the time. Is it ntoskrnl.exe??
    >
    > matt.
    >
    > "Matt" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> the solution on the ms kb is to boot the windows xp cd into the
    >> recovery console and overwrite the files in the system32\config
    >> folder with good ones. Thats what I want to do every time it boots.
    >>
    >> "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Matt" <9.co.uk> wrote in

    >> > If you're getting the corrupt message on the registry, then it
    >> > could due to a couple of situations that can happen on the machine.
    >> > You trying to do some kind of fix at boot *jacking* with the
    >> > registry in an autoexe is not going to resolve the issue.
    >> >
    >> > You need to search Google or go to the MS Knowledge Base about the
    >> > particular corrupt registry message for the proper solution and

    > implement
    >> > it.
    >> >
    >> > Duane :)

    Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Book ISBN 0-7356-1974-3 a handy
    tool.

    This is a brief explanation.

    Chapter 27 Troubleshooting Startup and it discusses startup on x86 and
    Itanium based systems.

    x86

    * Power-on self test (POST) phase
    * Initial startup phase
    * Boot loader phase
    * Detec and configure hardware phase
    * Kernel loading phase
    Ntldr passes the information collected by Ntdetect.com to Ntoskrnl.exe
    Ntoskrnl then loads kernel, HAL, and the registry information.
    * Logon phase

    Itanium

    * Power-on self test (POST) phase
    * Initial startup and boot manager phase
    * Kernel loading phase
    IA64ldr.efi loads kernel and registry information
    * Logon phase
    * Plug and Play device detection phase

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 16, 2004