    Is there a simple way to generate the info i need?
    Thanks in advance folks

    Budweiser
    Budweiser, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Budweiser

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Budweiser" <> wrote in message
    news:d1FQf.636$...
    > Autocad 2006
    > I am mot very conversant with cad,all i use it for is to pick out co-ords
    > for setting out purposes.
    > I have one large layout drawing which shows the external brickwork corners
    > of a pack of twelve units,the values are stated on the drawing and cad
    > also
    > reports the same values.
    > I have seperate drawings for each of the twelve units,detailing
    > foundations/internal brickwork etc from which i would like to aquire the
    > detailed setting out coords.The values produced are wildly different---i
    > am
    > assuming it is a generic layout to which the XYZ origin has been
    > incorrectly
    > set.
    > As i have the values of the corners,how do i reset the origin so cad will
    > produce the correct values.
    > I have gone thru the help files and that has left me more confused than
    > ever.
    > Is there a simple way to generate the info i need?
    > Thanks in advance folks

    Moving the origin would be an option (type UCS MOVE then the co-ordinates of
    where the origin should be).
    But I'd normally move the drawing back to the correct location. The easiest
    way is probably to xref a correct drawing into the incorrect one, then move
    the objects to the correct location, using the xref as a reference.
    Rich Wilson, Mar 12, 2006

  3. Budweiser

    Budweiser Guest

    "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message

    > "Budweiser" <> wrote in message
    >> Autocad 2006
    >> I am mot very conversant with cad,all i use it for is to pick out co-ords
    >> for setting out purposes.
    >> I have one large layout drawing which shows the external brickwork
    >> corners
    >> of a pack of twelve units,the values are stated on the drawing and cad
    >> also
    >> reports the same values.
    >> I have seperate drawings for each of the twelve units,detailing
    >> foundations/internal brickwork etc from which i would like to aquire the
    >> detailed setting out coords.The values produced are wildly different---i
    >> am
    >> assuming it is a generic layout to which the XYZ origin has been
    >> incorrectly
    >> set.
    >> As i have the values of the corners,how do i reset the origin so cad will
    >> produce the correct values.
    >> I have gone thru the help files and that has left me more confused than
    >> ever.
    >> Is there a simple way to generate the info i need?
    >> Thanks in advance folks

    > Moving the origin would be an option (type UCS MOVE then the co-ordinates
    > of where the origin should be).
    > But I'd normally move the drawing back to the correct location. The
    > easiest way is probably to xref a correct drawing into the incorrect one,
    > then move the objects to the correct location, using the xref as a
    > reference.

    Thanks for the help--i think the xref thing is way beyond my cad
    knowledge,but re assigning the origin looks like an achievable option with
    the knowledge i have (must go on a cad course) --the relavant buildings are
    not square to the grid (O/S)
    As i know the coord values of the brickwork on all corners how do i go about
    defining where the origin is?
    Is it as simple as setting the origin to a corner of the building and
    telling cad the angle from north the y values lay?

    thanks for the help
    Budweiser
    Budweiser, Mar 12, 2006
  4. Budweiser

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Budweiser" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Budweiser" <> wrote in message
    >>> Autocad 2006
    >>> I am mot very conversant with cad,all i use it for is to pick out
    >>> co-ords
    >>> for setting out purposes.
    >>> I have one large layout drawing which shows the external brickwork
    >>> corners
    >>> of a pack of twelve units,the values are stated on the drawing and cad
    >>> also
    >>> reports the same values.
    >>> I have seperate drawings for each of the twelve units,detailing
    >>> foundations/internal brickwork etc from which i would like to aquire the
    >>> detailed setting out coords.The values produced are wildly different---i
    >>> am
    >>> assuming it is a generic layout to which the XYZ origin has been
    >>> incorrectly
    >>> set.
    >>> As i have the values of the corners,how do i reset the origin so cad
    >>> will
    >>> produce the correct values.
    >>> I have gone thru the help files and that has left me more confused than
    >>> ever.
    >>> Is there a simple way to generate the info i need?
    >>> Thanks in advance folks

    >> Moving the origin would be an option (type UCS MOVE then the co-ordinates
    >> of where the origin should be).
    >> But I'd normally move the drawing back to the correct location. The
    >> easiest way is probably to xref a correct drawing into the incorrect one,
    >> then move the objects to the correct location, using the xref as a
    >> reference.
    >>

    > Thanks for the help--i think the xref thing is way beyond my cad
    > knowledge,but re assigning the origin looks like an achievable option with
    > the knowledge i have (must go on a cad course) --the relavant buildings
    > are not square to the grid (O/S)
    > As i know the coord values of the brickwork on all corners how do i go
    > about defining where the origin is?
    > Is it as simple as setting the origin to a corner of the building and
    > telling cad the angle from north the y values lay?
    >
    > thanks for the help
    > Budweiser

    First thing to check: do any of the drawings have a custom UCS (co-ordinate
    system) selected? Type UCS then return twice to switch back to the default
    (World) co-ordinate system. Hopefully this should cure the problem. If not
    I'd be tempted to tell the person who gave you the drawings to sort them
    out - there's no excuse for drawings that don't "stack up" properly. And
    that way it's not your fault if something ends up in the wrong place!

    But if you do have to sort it out yourself, there are various options in the
    UCS command that could help you. It's probably worth looking it up in the
    help file.
    For example, typing UCS Z 10 will rotate the co-ordinate system 10 degrees
    anticlockwise. Or you could use the 3 point option, where you pick an origin
    point, a point to specify the rotation of the x-axis and a point to specify
    which side the positive y-axis is (but that can give unexpected results if
    your points aren't in a flat plane, which happens quite a lot).

    Good luck!
    Rich Wilson, Mar 12, 2006