    of making it run without the CD. OK for the desktop but not the notebook.

    Can anyone help please?

    Arsiep

    Arsiep, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Arsiep

    Night_Seer Guest

    Arsiep wrote:
    > I bought a copy of this software a couple of years ago and just
    > loaded it onto my new PC. It works fine and is based on the Ordnance
    > Survey mapping. However to avoid having to load the main CD each time
    > you can get a passcode. The company has moved; gone bust or... and I
    > can't find any way of making it run without the CD. OK for the
    > desktop but not the notebook.
    >
    > Can anyone help please?
    >

    > Arsiep

    There are a few programs out there that let you copy the cd to your
    hard drive, and then mount the image like a regular cd. It does take up
    hard drive space though, as it keeps a copy of the CD on your hard
    drive. But to the program it just sees that a CD is inserted in an
    "extra" cd/dvd drive.
    Here are two of them:

    Alcohol 120% (there is also Alcohol 52% which only allows emulation and
    doesn't do the burning part, if you don't need it to burn copies. Its a
    little cheaper)
    http://www.alcohol-software.com/software.php

    There is also CloneCD, which does the same thing:
    http://www.clonecd.net/

    I've also heard of something called daemon tools, which might be
    freeware, so check that out.

    Keep in mind that some CD's have copy protection that keeps you from
    doing this, but both of these programs can circumvent that in some
    CD's...hope this helps.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Arsiep

    MrToad Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news::

    > Arsiep wrote:
    >> I bought a copy of this software a couple of years ago and just
    >> loaded it onto my new PC. It works fine and is based on the Ordnance
    >> Survey mapping. However to avoid having to load the main CD each time
    >> you can get a passcode. The company has moved; gone bust or... and I
    >> can't find any way of making it run without the CD. OK for the
    >> desktop but not the notebook.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help please?
    >>

    >> Arsiep

    > There are a few programs out there that let you copy the cd to
    > your
    > hard drive, and then mount the image like a regular cd. It does take
    > up hard drive space though, as it keeps a copy of the CD on your hard
    > drive. But to the program it just sees that a CD is inserted in an
    > "extra" cd/dvd drive.
    > Here are two of them:
    >
    > Alcohol 120% (there is also Alcohol 52% which only allows emulation
    > and doesn't do the burning part, if you don't need it to burn copies.
    > Its a little cheaper)
    > http://www.alcohol-software.com/software.php
    >
    > There is also CloneCD, which does the same thing:
    > http://www.clonecd.net/
    >
    > I've also heard of something called daemon tools, which might be
    > freeware, so check that out.
    >
    > Keep in mind that some CD's have copy protection that keeps you from
    > doing this, but both of these programs can circumvent that in some
    > CD's...hope this helps.

    Here's another one that works well:
    Paragon CD Emulator 2.6
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/6/3-6-3.shtml

    A tad expensive @ $40 USD though....

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Arsiep

    Night_Seer Guest

    MrToad wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> Ran in the back door and
    > shouted news::
    >
    >> Arsiep wrote:
    >>> I bought a copy of this software a couple of years ago and just
    >>> loaded it onto my new PC. It works fine and is based on the
    >>> Ordnance Survey mapping. However to avoid having to load the main
    >>> CD each time you can get a passcode. The company has moved; gone
    >>> bust or... and I can't find any way of making it run without the
    >>> CD. OK for the desktop but not the notebook.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help please?
    >>>

    >>> Arsiep

    >> There are a few programs out there that let you copy the cd to
    >> your
    >> hard drive, and then mount the image like a regular cd. It does take
    >> up hard drive space though, as it keeps a copy of the CD on your hard
    >> drive. But to the program it just sees that a CD is inserted in an
    >> "extra" cd/dvd drive.
    >> Here are two of them:
    >>
    >> Alcohol 120% (there is also Alcohol 52% which only allows emulation
    >> and doesn't do the burning part, if you don't need it to burn copies.
    >> Its a little cheaper)
    >> http://www.alcohol-software.com/software.php
    >>
    >> There is also CloneCD, which does the same thing:
    >> http://www.clonecd.net/
    >>
    >> I've also heard of something called daemon tools, which might be
    >> freeware, so check that out.
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that some CD's have copy protection that keeps you from
    >> doing this, but both of these programs can circumvent that in some
    >> CD's...hope this helps.
    >>

    > Here's another one that works well:
    > Paragon CD Emulator 2.6
    > http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/6/3-6-3.shtml
    >
    > A tad expensive @ $40 USD though....

    That's about the price for Alcohol as well...If you want free look
    around for deamon tools (daemon?) but I'm not sure of what it does.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Arsiep

    MrToad Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news::

    > MrToad wrote:
    >> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> Ran in the back door and
    >> shouted news::
    >>
    >>> Arsiep wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Here's another one that works well:
    >> Paragon CD Emulator 2.6
    >> http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/6/3-6-3.shtml
    >>
    >> A tad expensive @ $40 USD though....

    > That's about the price for Alcohol as well...If you want free look
    > around for deamon tools (daemon?) but I'm not sure of what it does.

    Excellent!
    Thanks for tip, here's the link if anyone wants to know:
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

    BTW, Night Seer, are you the same Night Seer as on the AGB news group?
    If so, small usenet, eh?
    :eek:]

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Arsiep

    Night_Seer Guest

    MrToad wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> Ran in the back door and
    > shouted news::
    >
    >> MrToad wrote:
    >>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> Ran in the back door and
    >>> shouted news::

    > <snip>
    >>> Here's another one that works well:
    >>> Paragon CD Emulator 2.6
    >>> http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/6/3-6-3.shtml
    >>>
    >>> A tad expensive @ $40 USD though....

    >> That's about the price for Alcohol as well...If you want free look
    >> around for deamon tools (daemon?) but I'm not sure of what it does.
    >>

    > Excellent!
    > Thanks for tip, here's the link if anyone wants to know:

    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

    > BTW, Night Seer, are you the same Night Seer as on the AGB news group?
    > If so, small usenet, eh?
    >> o]

    Yup that's me...very small usenet ;)

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Arsiep

    Arsiep Guest

    Thanks guys. Used Alcohol 52% Trial and got it working

    Great stuff

    Arsiep

    Arsiep, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Arsiep

    Night_Seer Guest

    Arsiep wrote:
    > Thanks guys. Used Alcohol 52% Trial and got it working
    >
    > Great stuff
    >
    > Arsiep

    Cool, glad I could help.

    --