    would go right to the home page with no option for restoring the
    previous session.

    Is there something that does this now?

    Krot, Jan 20, 2008

  2. Krot wrote:
    > I have a client who wants to know if there is a way for his browser to
    > shut down automatically if unattended for a specified amount of time.
    > Does anyone know if there is a Firefox extension that will do that? If
    > not, seems like a useful project. A warning box with optional sound
    > will inform about the number of seconds until shutdown. History is
    > erased at shutdown. For security, when Firefox is restarted, it
    > would go right to the home page with no option for restoring the
    > previous session.
    >
    > Is there something that does this now?

    not that I'm aware of. You might want to google for an
    automatic shutdown program that will close other program. I
    know there are lots to automatically shutdown windows, but a
    program is another story. So hunt around.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 20, 2008

  3. Krot

    Porter Smith Guest

    Krot <> wrote in news:tbg5p3hrqaresss80dafu6fkgqaq6j3k62@
    4ax.com:

    > I have a client who wants to know if there is a way for his browser to
    > shut down automatically if unattended for a specified amount of time.
    > Does anyone know if there is a Firefox extension that will do that? If
    > not, seems like a useful project. A warning box with optional sound
    > will inform about the number of seconds until shutdown. History is
    > erased at shutdown. For security, when Firefox is restarted, it
    > would go right to the home page with no option for restoring the
    > previous session.
    >
    > Is there something that does this now?

    I have to ask what he hopes to accomplish with this. I assume he doesn't
    want someone wandering past an unattended PC and using someone's session.
    Wouldn't it be easier and safer to just mandate a screensaver that force
    the user to enter his password o resume?

    Porter Smith, Jan 20, 2008
  4. Krot

    Krot Guest

    Porter. Here is the situation. An older man lives in a house where
    other family members have free use of his computer. His computer
    literacy and keyboard acuity is on the low side. For simplicity, the
    computer is usually on. His need is to feel at ease about his
    personal information, emails, web history, etc.

    What I'm going to have him do is to use a different browser (FF) than
    the one the family uses (IE). Then I'm going to set FF to not save
    history and to clear private data on exit. We're not protecting
    atomic secrets, we just don't want little Timmy reading grandpa's
    emails (which he exchanges through his browser).

    If he should forget to close Firefox, and he will, then it would be
    nice if the browser would shut itself down. He can't be the only one
    with this situation. Just wondered if there was an extension like
    this already. If not, it would be a worthwhile project for a
    developer.

    Its options might be like this.

    Use default settings or:
    - Set time without keystrokes or mouse movements before browser
    shutdown.
    - Display a warning message and/or sound before shutdown.
    - Clear private data or not

    AutoCloseBrowser (or whatever name) would assure that a Firefox
    restart does not allow the previous session to be restored.

    Seems like it would be a useful extension for some people. I'd make
    it myself, but I don't have the skills.

    krot

    Krot, Jan 20, 2008
  5. Krot

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Krot wrote:
    > Porter. Here is the situation. An older man lives in a house where
    > other family members have free use of his computer. His computer
    > literacy and keyboard acuity is on the low side. For simplicity, the
    > computer is usually on. His need is to feel at ease about his
    > personal information, emails, web history, etc.
    >
    > What I'm going to have him do is to use a different browser (FF) than
    > the one the family uses (IE). Then I'm going to set FF to not save
    > history and to clear private data on exit. We're not protecting
    > atomic secrets, we just don't want little Timmy reading grandpa's
    > emails (which he exchanges through his browser).

    A better solution would be to create a separate user account in Windows
    XP for him and password protect it.
    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 20, 2008
  6. Krot

    Krot Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:42:02 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >A better solution would be to create a separate user account in Windows
    >XP for him and password protect it.

    Thanks everyone for the alternative suggestions. They are good
    solutions and I've use them with others. For this situation, though,
    I'd rather not introduce a new account/password system that the whole
    family would have to learn and tolerate. The most appropriate system
    for this family is minimum complexity.

    The extension I'm suggesting can be an additional tool for browser
    users, not a replacement other security techniques. I don't see a
    downside to its creation. A simple off timer.

    krot

    Krot, Jan 20, 2008