auto settings on Coolpix 995

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stuart Noble, May 5, 2005.

  1. Stuart Noble

    Stuart Noble Guest

    A real newbie with all this but I'm trying to get some idea of how
    "automatic" this camera's auto settings are.
    For example, to capture running water in lowish light I selected 1000/ 3.9
    with an ISO of 800 and got a good shot, but there was no way I could get
    the
    camera to do the same when I left it to choose ether shutter speed or
    aperture. With ISO set to auto, the exif data doesn't seem to tell you
    what
    ISO level was used but, by the look of the photos, it doesn't select
    anything higher than about 200.
    I guess there must limitations to the camera's ability to calculate every
    possibile exposure within a reasonable time but any advice as to where
    these
    boundaries might be would be appreciated.

    It has removed 4312 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    Stuart Noble, May 5, 2005

  2. Stuart Noble

    jean Guest

    According to my book, auto exposure works well when the scene is equal to an
    18% gray level such as:

    Scenes in bright sunlight, front lit, with the sun behind you.
    Scenes on overcast days or under diffuse light (in the shade or evenly lit
    indoor scenes)

    Jean

    jean, May 5, 2005

  3. Stuart Noble

    Stuart Noble Guest

    "jean" <> wrote in message
    > According to my book, auto exposure works well when the scene is equal

    > an
    > 18% gray level such as:
    >
    > Scenes in bright sunlight, front lit, with the sun behind you.
    > Scenes on overcast days or under diffuse light (in the shade or evenly

    lit
    > indoor scenes)
    >
    > Jean

    Sorry, Jean, that's over my head. What is 18% gray, and how do you know
    when
    you have it?

    It has removed 4321 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    Stuart Noble, May 5, 2005
  4. Stuart Noble

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stuart Noble wrote:
    > A real newbie with all this but I'm trying to get some idea of how
    > "automatic" this camera's auto settings are.
    > For example, to capture running water in lowish light I selected 1000/ 3.9
    > with an ISO of 800 and got a good shot, but there was no way I could get
    > the
    > camera to do the same when I left it to choose ether shutter speed or
    > aperture. With ISO set to auto, the exif data doesn't seem to tell you
    > what
    > ISO level was used but, by the look of the photos, it doesn't select
    > anything higher than about 200.
    > I guess there must limitations to the camera's ability to calculate every
    > possibile exposure within a reasonable time but any advice as to where
    > these
    > boundaries might be would be appreciated.

    > It has removed 4312 spam emails to date.
    > Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    Those settings are done by the firmware in the specific camera, and
    reflect what the designers, and programmers, think will produce the best
    picture. There are always assumptions, and tradeoffs, made in the
    process. In reality, many different setting of ISO, aperture, and
    shutter speed may produce a good picture. And that is why a lot of
    photographers like to have the ability to make these settings themselves.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 5, 2005
  5. Stuart Noble

    Stuart Noble Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Stuart Noble wrote:
    >> A real newbie with all this but I'm trying to get some idea of how
    >> "automatic" this camera's auto settings are.
    >> For example, to capture running water in lowish light I selected 1000/
    >> 3.9
    >> with an ISO of 800 and got a good shot, but there was no way I could

    get
    >> the
    >> camera to do the same when I left it to choose ether shutter speed or
    >> aperture. With ISO set to auto, the exif data doesn't seem to tell you
    >> what
    >> ISO level was used but, by the look of the photos, it doesn't select
    >> anything higher than about 200.
    >> I guess there must limitations to the camera's ability to calculate

    every
    >> possibile exposure within a reasonable time but any advice as to where
    >> these
    >> boundaries might be would be appreciated.

    > Those settings are done by the firmware in the specific camera, and
    > reflect what the designers, and programmers, think will produce the best
    > picture. There are always assumptions, and tradeoffs, made in the
    > process. In reality, many different setting of ISO, aperture, and

    shutter
    > speed may produce a good picture. And that is why a lot of

    photographers
    > like to have the ability to make these settings themselves.

    Thanks, Ron. I thought that might be the case

    It has removed 4329 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    Stuart Noble, May 5, 2005
  6. Stuart Noble

    jean Guest

    > "jean" <> wrote in message
    > > According to my book, auto exposure works well when the scene is equal

    > > an
    > > 18% gray level such as:
    > >
    > > Scenes in bright sunlight, front lit, with the sun behind you.
    > > Scenes on overcast days or under diffuse light (in the shade or evenly

    > lit
    > > indoor scenes)
    > >
    > > Jean

    > Sorry, Jean, that's over my head. What is 18% gray, and how do you know
    > when
    > you have it?

    Here is a reasonneable explanation
    http://photo.net/making-photographs/exposure Keep in mind the designers
    make the auto settings work for average conditions, whenever the conditions
    of the scene fall outside the range, then auto settings will not give a good
    picture.

    Jean

    jean, May 6, 2005
  7. Stuart Noble

    Stuart Noble Guest

    > Here is a reasonneable explanation
    > http://photo.net/making-photographs/exposure

    Thanks, Jean. Site added to my favourites

    It has removed 4391 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    Stuart Noble, May 7, 2005