    It's a bit time consuming if I had to rotate 100 images one by one.
    Is there help for this situation??

    Thanks.

    Ida Noe, Apr 7, 2004

  2. >>What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
    >>vertically and needs to be saved as such?

    Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
    think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
    photo was taken vertically? The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
    any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,
    so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
    vertically.

    The only thing the software has to go on is the image itself. Image
    analysis is an enormously complicated science at the best of times. Could
    you come up with a set of rules for deciding what pictures were sideways and
    which in "landscape" aspect ratio - a rule which would work for portraits,
    landscapes, indoor scenes, still life and everything in between?

    >>It's a bit time consuming if I had to rotate 100 images one by one.

    Please feel free to try out my PhotoMan package at
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/beta.htm.

    With that you can select as many frames as you like (using Ctrl + left
    click) from a single Windows folder and then say "go and rotate that lot"
    before going off to make a cup of tea. I'm sorry that's the best I can
    offer. Deciding which frames to rotate automatically is beyond my feeble
    wit.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Ida Noe

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>>What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
    >>>vertically and needs to be saved as such?

    >Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
    >think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
    >photo was taken vertically? The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
    >any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,
    >so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
    >vertically.

    Many Canon cameras do. My Canon A80 does and automatically rotates vertically
    taken pictures which can be viewed in the camera's LCD. Then when you later
    downlaod your pics via Canon's ZoomBrowser software it will download and save
    the pics already rotated. :)

    Even my old 35mm Canon Elan IIe would sense a vertical orientation for the eye
    focus mechanism. In that camera it had a little ball bearing, I'm assuming as
    you could hear it moving, that would close a circuit.

    zbzbzb, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Ida Noe wrote:
    > Maybe I missed it somewhere?
    >
    > Seems I always have to ROTATE each image that was shot vertically in
    > order to see it correctly on the computer screen.
    >
    > What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
    > vertically and needs to be saved as such?
    >
    > It's a bit time consuming if I had to rotate 100 images one by one.
    > Is there help for this situation??
    >
    > Thanks.

    It needs to get data from the camera to determine that the camera was
    vertical at the time of the exposure. After the fact, it might not be hard
    for you to tell, but software would have a hard time.
    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Ida Noe

    zbzbzb Guest

    > It needs to get data from the camera to determine that the camera was
    >vertical at the time of the exposure. After the fact, it might not be hard
    >for you to tell, but software would have a hard time.
    >--
    >Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    >26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Canon does this automatically with their cameras and software.

    zbzbzb, Apr 7, 2004
  6. Ida Noe

    Ron Hunter Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    >>Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
    >>think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
    >>photo was taken vertically? The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
    >>any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,
    >>so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
    >>vertically.

    > Many Canon cameras do. My Canon A80 does and automatically rotates vertically
    > taken pictures which can be viewed in the camera's LCD. Then when you later
    > downlaod your pics via Canon's ZoomBrowser software it will download and save
    > the pics already rotated. :)
    >
    > Even my old 35mm Canon Elan IIe would sense a vertical orientation for the eye
    > focus mechanism. In that camera it had a little ball bearing, I'm assuming as
    > you could hear it moving, that would close a circuit.

    This feature also is on many of the 6xxx series Kodak cameras, if not
    all of them.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2004
  7. Ron

    there is a slight difference in the way that the Kodak camera does this and
    the Canon camera does this (at least the 10D, I don't own any other Canon's)

    The Kodak cameras rotate the bits in the image and the image is then defined
    as 768x1024 instead of 1024x768 (as an example)

    The Canon cameras set a bit in the EXIF header that tells the Canon software
    that the image is rotated. If you're not using the Canon software, the
    image still comes out sideways.

    Each has its advantages and disadvantages, I happen to like the Kodak
    solution since ANY software that I use has the image properly oriented.

    William Jackson, Apr 7, 2004
  8. Ida Noe

    stewy Guest

    Lasso more than one image with PhotoShop's browser and learn the keyboard
    shortcuts

    stewy, Apr 7, 2004
  9. Ida Noe

    John Navas Guest

    In <jLPcc.39$lA5.19@newsfe1-win> on Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:21:34 +0100, "Keith
    Sheppard" <> wrote:

    >>>What software has the ability to recognize that a photo has been taken
    >>>vertically and needs to be saved as such?

    >Any software capable of doing this would be truly remarkable. Stop and
    >think for a moment. How is the software supposed to recognise that the
    >photo was taken vertically?

    From the EXIF data in the image.

    >The camera doesn't contain a spirit level or
    >any other device for knowing that you tilted it when you shot the picture,

    Some cameras do have an orientation sensor.

    >so there are no hidden markers in the image file to say that it was shot
    >vertically.

    See above.

    >The only thing the software has to go on is the image itself. ...

    True with some cameras, but not with others. See
    <http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/g5/features7.html>.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Apr 7, 2004
  10. Ida Noe

    Ida Noe Guest

    Torrex,

    Does the zoombrowser only save the vertical images correctly if you download
    FROM the camera itself?

    Or, can zoombrowser also read the EXIF through a card reader and save the
    images in the correct orientation?

    I'll try to find my old Canon software disk......somewhere.

    Thanks.

    <message snipped for brevity>

    Ida Noe, Apr 8, 2004
  11. Ida Noe

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Torrex,
    >
    >Does the zoombrowser only save the vertical images correctly if you download
    >FROM the camera itself?
    >
    >Or, can zoombrowser also read the EXIF through a card reader and save the
    >images in the correct orientation?
    >
    >I'll try to find my old Canon software disk......somewhere.
    >
    >Thanks.

    I download only through a card reader built in to my PC.
    As long as Canons software is being used it works perfectly.

    zbzbzb, Apr 8, 2004
  12. Ida Noe

    koawmfot

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    the fact that the picture was taken vertically is stored in the picture as data in the EXIF tag.

    all the application needs to do is to properly read the tag and present the image accordingly.

    XBMC is able to auto-rotate for one.
    http_//xbmc.org/

    koawmfot, Sep 23, 2009
  13. Ida Noe

    anonymous-surveys.com

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    San Diego, CA, USA
    OK, I had to search for awhile but I found one package that will automatically rotate all the files in a directory to the correct orientation (from the EXIF data). It's called JPEG-EXIF autorotate.

    I downloaded it and installed on winXP sp3 and it works fine... it runs a little dos like command window and scans and modifies almost all of pictures correctly. It's free too. Hope this below link will show up as I'm a new member, but want to let others know cause it shouldn't have been so hard to fine:

    pilpi.net/software/JPEG-EXIF_autorotate.php

    If it doesn't show up search for the product name JPEG-EXIF_autorotate

    anonymous-surveys.com, Mar 8, 2010
  14. Ida Noe

    mark black

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I also tired Jpeg-EXIF and it's nice but not very comfortable since you need to execute it in dos command prompt...
    After searching for a while i found this nice software called
    'Digital Image Auto Rotate'. I installed it on Windows 7 and it works fine. I just drag and drop a folder name into it and start the process - it rotated the images instantly... Well i had like 300 photos and 50 had to be rotated so it saved me time.. it seems it cost like 10$ but it worth the convenience and the time I saved.. so it worth a check.

    hope this helps.

    mark black, Oct 19, 2010
  15. Ida Noe

    jack_black987

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    I found that PhotoUpRight worked well in rotating my pictures.

    Nice looking, you just select the folder and let it go.

    Jack B.

    jack_black987, Apr 3, 2013